Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Evolution and Big Bang are lies from Hell

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There are many, many Christians that won't.

The VAST majority of Christians I know are open minded and critical thinkers who will question parts of the Bible over and over again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep, got that.
There are many, many Christians that won't.
What do you think? Do you think that her being a virgin is a story, just like the creation story? Do you therefore accept that Jesus wasn't the son of God? He was a compassionate man that preached a good way of life?

If one is talking about belief and faith, a necessary part of faith is doubt. If there is no doubt, it is certainty.

I personally do believe that jesus was the Son of God, so do believe in the immaculate conception, but am also intelligent enough to realise that there are other possible explanations.

But the very least I believe is that Jesus was a thoroughly good bloke. Even if the fairy story bits are fairy stories, the teachings, wisdom and challenge that he embodied are worth following.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As a trained preacher, I have been taught that the creation story is just that a STORY, not that I needed teaching that because, if the training had presented anything else, I would have argued against it and not accepted it. If anybody had attempted to teach my children when they were of school age the creation story or any of this intelligent design mullarkey when they were at school, I would have complained most vociferously
I personally do believe that jesus was the Son of God, so do believe in the immaculate conception
It doesn't make sense that you'd complain most vociferously if someone attempted to preach the creation malarkey to your children, yet you think that Jesus's mum was a virgin. Neither idea is more ridiculous than the other.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I personally do believe that jesus was the Son of God, so do believe in the immaculate conception, but am also intelligent enough to realise that there are other possible explanations.

Other possible explanations? Surely there are only 2, his Mum & Dad enjoyed a proper bit of carnal pleasure around late March time, or he didn't exist. What other possibilities have you considered?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The VAST majority of Christians I know are open minded and critical thinkers who will question parts of the Bible over and over again.

The vast majority I know are very normal people that rarely talk about their faith, and certainly don't discuss it openly. I tend to think it's a very private thing for the majority of the British public, other than those that stick fish symbols to the boot of their cars...

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It doesn't make sense that you'd complain most vociferously if someone attempted to preach the creation malarkey to your children, yet you think that Jesus's mum was a virgin. Neither idea is more ridiculous than the other.

And herein lies the fundamental problem with religion, especially Christianity. In basic terms, they make up this shite as they go along to fit in with their lifestyle. Thisis why it's not taken seriously in the Western world anymore. We evolved.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Nail meet head.

You highlight an inconsistency which would seem insurmountable to a rational mind.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So why is Jesus a saviour and who is he a saviour to if Adam & Eve didn't bring sin to the world?

Sorry to have kept you waiting! I do have other things in my life as well as Northstandchat.

But just because Adam and Eve may not have brought sin in to the world doesn't mean that it is not there.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
Sorry to have kept you waiting! I do have other things in my life as well as Northstandchat.

But just because Adam and Eve may not have brought sin in to the world doesn't mean that it is not there.

I don't think I follow, so in your opinion how did sin enter the world if it wasn't through what the bible says, "Romans 5:12-21

Death Through Adam, Life Through Christ

12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned"

Or is this just a story as well which shouldn't be taken literally?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Scary

This guy is a true plonker! The scary thing is that he has such a key role in US science policy.

If the earth/universe is just 9000 years old, then the Albion has existed for 1.2% of the life of the Universe!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

For me, The Creation Story is clearly a story. I have been trained to accept it as a story, I didn't need to be trained to accept it as a story because I would not have accepted it as a true account anyway, so although I am prepared to accept that some people accept it as the truth, I think that those who do accept it as the truth are incredibly naive. Would you want Children to be taught that the Germans won the Second World war or that France is a part of Australasia?

I am prepared to accept the idea of the virgin birth, but in terms of what I have already said that where there is faith there also has to be room for doubt, I am not sure. But nobody in an education situation is trying to ram this down people's throat as fact.

And I will say it again, the teachings and the wisdom and the philosophy, for me and many others, are mor important than the Fairy Tale Bits.

And just in case anybody thinks they are out there on a wind-up, I am quite enjoying this.!!!!! I do believe that Jesus wore blue and white stripes when he was in his home territories, and mint green and whatever colour is is when he was elsewhere.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Christians and their concept of sin. Hypocrtical, pompous and pious in the extreme. But as pointed out, this has been discussed many times before and has always come out in favour of science and the non-religious.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
For me, The Creation Story is clearly a story. I have been trained to accept it as a story, I didn't need to be trained to accept it as a story because I would not have accepted it as a true account anyway, so although I am prepared to accept that some people accept it as the truth, I think that those who do accept it as the truth are incredibly naive. Would you want Children to be taught that the Germans won the Second World war or that France is a part of Australasia?

I am prepared to accept the idea of the virgin birth, but in terms of what I have already said that where there is faith there also has to be room for doubt, I am not sure. But nobody in an education situation is trying to ram this down people's throat as fact.

And I will say it again, the teachings and the wisdom and the philosophy, for me and many others, are mor important than the Fairy Tale Bits.

And just in case anybody thinks they are out there on a wind-up, I am quite enjoying this.!!!!! I do believe that Jesus wore blue and white stripes when he was in his home territories, and mint green and whatever colour is is when he was elsewhere.

Nonsensical Christian claptrap entirely designed to give the appearance of reason. Totally contradictory, a huge theme in religious belief. Faith with room for doubt? Hells Bells and buckets of blood, whatever next? "I believe this bit but not this bit and I have faith but entertain doubt". Literally unbelievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here