Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
What a bizarre game.

Watched it from start to finish and thought that it was our worst performance for a long time. Yet thinking about it we created chances yet refused to shoot. Mina made about 4 crucial blocks and we looked at our most shaky when we had a corner.

Defence needs some immediate attention.

the days of rock solid Dunk and Duffy seem long ago don’t they

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We’ve definitely got a few things to sort out defensively, also some of the decision making around the opposition penalty area wasn’t particularly good. Everton have got some really good players and a striker in the form of his life.

I think we’ll improve though and should be good enough to beat the teams in the lower half of the table.

Frustrating and disappointing today but not the end of the world.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Went up there for the first year we were in the prem when we lost 2-0
10 corners today , we never got near enough their goal to get a corner that day!
So not all bad.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
That was so frustrating today. Pickford is a dodgy keeper yet we rarely tested him. Free kicks and corners going back to Ryan. WTF??? Someone needs a rocket up them after the gameplay today.

Exactly. Soaking wet playing area, rain pouring down and Pickford looking seriously unconvicing - ad the one time we get te ball near the six yard box we score. Should have been obvious, surely? - simply drop the ball ino the penalty area and generate a scramble.

And I thought that Webster had an appalling afternoon.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
You have to give some credit to Everton , they look a top 6 side this season on current form ...... BUT

some Albion players looked like they would rather have not bothered to turn up in the bad weather . not for the first time , maybe the southern climate has spoilt them.

defense is woeful at set pieces recently , not sure when the change to zonal marking happened but just poor MIA defenders today

I dont like to single out individuals but Alzate & Bissouma were outplayed and gifted the ball to Everton so many times it spread to Trossard , early yellow card didnt help as it meant Alzate was unable to give 100% with his tackling and Bissouma seamed to be standing around or slow jogging his way through the game until his goal.

hopefully this has brought Albion players back down to Earth after all the praise of the last few weeks & they get back to working hard and producing performances and results we want

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
we had 10 corners, in those conditions, with that keeper

cannot get my head around our approach to them

True. Utterly baffling. We looked like we had the yips today. Only Solly seemed to want us to score, rather than just keep the ball.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You have to give some credit to Everton , they look a top 6 side this season on current form ...... BUT

some Albion players looked like they would rather have not bothered to turn up in the bad weather . not for the first time , maybe the southern climate has spoilt them.

defense is woeful at set pieces recently , not sure when the change to zonal marking happened but just poor MIA defenders today

I dont like to single out individuals but Alzate & Bissouma were outplayed and gifted the ball to Everton so many times it spread to Trossard , early yellow card didnt help as it meant Alzate was unable to give 100% with his tackling and Bissouma seamed to be standing around or slow jogging his way through the game until his goal.

hopefully this has brought Albion players back down to Earth after all the praise of the last few weeks & they get back to working hard and producing performances and results we want

We are extremely soft, have been for a long long time. Our players always seem powder puff. A bit short. A bit slight in stature. And all rather ‘nice’. Bit like our fan base really. All hotdogs and no lager. Not especially bothered by losing, always happy to provide an excuse, leave early when Strictly’s on etc

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’m worried that without Duffy and a Dunk playing a totally different game, we might not have enough defensively. It’s a brave decision by Potter and Bloom etc, I just hope it doesn’t backfire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There is no way we can practise defending set pieces because we don’t have any attackers to train against

I’m sure there is truth in this. Murray must have been a pain in training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we had 10 corners, in those conditions, with that keeper

cannot get my head around our approach to them

Potter needs a head wobble after today . . . . Get your head out of the psychology book and look at whats going on past the end of your nose . . . I get that they have better players and a better manager ( maybe he was star struck) but we did 5 year old shit in the first half, and carried on doing it . . . . That is abject failure. Given the conditions we could/would have lost at Whitehawk the way we played today

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Good time to have an international break. Time to work on some defending. Good to have the Palace game next too I feel as form means nothing going into a Derby.
Today Ancelotti completely out did Potter, closing the space in midfield and hitting us on the break. Not many times that Potter has been out thought but this was one.
Everton look a good team. Bad day at the office for us.

Thought it was pretty obvious early on that we were overrun in midfield and needed to change.

I was astonished we didn't bring Lallana on at half time.

Unfortunately we needed a bit of Bielsa today. Make an early and successful change to turn the game. He's just done it against City.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Thought it was pretty obvious early on that we were overrun in midfield and needed to change.

I was astonished we didn't bring Lallana on at half time.

Unfortunately we needed a bit of Bielsa today. Make an early and successful change to turn the game. He's just done it against City.

Its a shame, GP is usually pretty good at changing things quickly, too

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You learn your best lessons when you lose, good game for the neutral, a new young side against a much more experienced one who will be fighting for top spot, we mostly played football the right way and tried until the end and a great goal from Bissouma. I would like to see Burn in for Webster amd we are a very different side without Lampty.

Everton were clinical when they had their chances and we made it easy for them. Wasn't a dull game and I doubt Trossard will do that again.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You learn your best lessons when you lose, good game for the neutral, a new young side against a much more experienced one who will be fighting for top spot, we mostly played football the right way and tried until the end and a great goal from Bissouma. I would like to see Burn in for Webster amd we are a very different side without Lampty.

Everton were clinical when they had their chances and we made it easy for them. Wasn't a dull game and I doubt Trossard will do that again.
Everton were only clinical because we were shocking at defending. Most of those goals should have been avoided.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here