Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Evergreen songs and albums

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Enjoying a burger and beer (and a few pickle backs) with the Frau and Mr and Mrs @Uncle Buck, Uncertain Smile by The The came on the speakers. It still sounds as fresh today as it did when it was released 41 years ago, as I informed them all.

What other songs or albums have stood the test of time?

Conversely, any which haven't?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ll never forget one of my older brothers telling me about Uncertain Smile and playing it. He worked at a trendy American restaurant in New Road Brighton called Leadbelly’s late 70’s/very early 80’s … he discovered amazing music very early doors.

You’re right, still sounds as crisp and relevant as when new.

Similarly, from that he put me onto the brilliant album Seventeen Seconds by The Cure.

For your thread I’ll add this timeless masterpiece.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’ll never forget one of my older brothers telling me about Uncertain Smile and playing it. He worked at a trendy American restaurant in New Road Brighton called Leadbelly’s late 70’s/very early 80’s … he discovered amazing music very early doors.

Similarly, from that he put me onto the brilliant album Seventeen Seconds by The Cure.

Oh yes - indeed. Never tire of Billy Mackenzie's masterpiece.

And the Forest is still as good as the day it was released.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wow. I’d completely forgotten about The Associates. It’s a great song but slightly odd (in a good way!) in the sense the chorus is a piano solo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wow. I’d completely forgotten about The Associates. It’s a great song but slightly odd (in a good way!) in the sense the chorus is a piano solo.

That’s punk, post punk and new wave …. sometimes ripping up rule books.

On piano Martha Ladly of Martha and The Muffins. Stunning and talented, now an arts academic in her native Canada.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I didn’t hear Soul Mining until 1990 when I was backpacking around the US. A girl I met and travelled with had a cassette of it. The album was played everyday as we drove coast-2-coast across the US. So not only a great album it has certain good memories.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
45 years on, this is as great as ever from two geniuses. In my desert island discs.

Ah yes. And Giorgio Moroder produced it…in case you couldn’t tell :lolol: A classic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Burger, beer, @Uncle Buck and Uncertain Smile all in one post? This is NSC perfection.

The album version with Jools’ piano solo is the most “perfect” (geddit?) piece of music I can think of. It’s incredible.
It was just after last Sunday’s 5-0 as well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here