Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting watching O’Mahoney’s cameo last night…..instantly looked more like ‘good’ Fergie when he came on.

Not worried about Fergie personally, he’s young and going through one of those periods where it doesn’t happen, in part due to how the rest of the team are performing. He’ll be alright.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He’s clearly suffering from a massive dip in confidence and form but the kid’s got talent and will improve. This sort of season is highly predictable for a young striker but there’s no doubt he’s a bit of a liability on the pitch at the moment and I’d like to see him have a break away from the first team. He’s also not helped by two other things:

1) He played too much intense, high level football in 2023 for a player of his age and build with a developing body. I think this has contributed to why he looks so sluggish now. I did say on numerous threads last year he was playing too much and he needed to be rested more.

2) He’s been a bit over rated. Some of the hype was absolutely ludicrous. Talk of £100m/£150m bids from the biggest clubs in the world - laughable. That has not helped him at all, expectations of him have been far too high.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In the Fulham game he did actually get two good chances (one he should have scored and one decent but not easy chance). While it would have been nice if he’d scored I did think at least he’s back to having chances.

I’ve seen glandular fever mentioned a few times. Is there any evidence for this or is it just a theory?
This is the whisper on the stands.

I have no reason to doubt my source.

You can pinpoint Ferguson’s loss of energy, form and confidence to a specific lay-off that was described by the club as an un-named illness. He has never been the same since.

It all adds up and will be remedied by time and a good pre-season. Sadly this illness has affected our season as much as those injuries to Mitoma & Pedro etc.

We are really struggling for goals when we need them most. Just one goal in the three critical games against Wolves and Roma; our season is in danger of fizzling out completely due to a lack of firepower.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Is anyone else concerned that it is something in our coaching that is causing problems for our boy wonder?

Outside of our purple patch at the beginning of the season when our attacks looked fast and direct we have struggled for goals.

Are we now an attacking team who struggle to put the ball in the net. I don't think that the individuals are to blame, I think we need a change in tactics.
I think the loss of March, Enciso and Estupinan for quite a period is more of a factor and now we have lost Mitoma pretty much since December. Plus of course Pedro missing 2 months.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
In the Fulham game he did actually get two good chances (one he should have scored and one decent but not easy chance). While it would have been nice if he’d scored I did think at least he’s back to having chances.

I’ve seen glandular fever mentioned a few times. Is there any evidence for this or is it just a theory?
In my case just a theory, based on personal experience of glandular fever. Sneaks up on you then leaves you underpowered for many months afterwards.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Like Connolly did, needs a season long confidence boosting loan in the Championship. I worry it’s either to much pressure on him to young at our level - or if he’s not performing his minutes will start dwindling and he won’t kick on

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Like Connolly did, needs a season long confidence boosting loan in the Championship. I worry it’s either to much pressure on him to young at our level - or if he’s not performing his minutes will start dwindling and he won’t kick on
I disagree - ‘Relegating’ Fergie to a Championship side would be absolutely the worst thing for his confidence, below his level of skill and his Dad would absolutely not allow it - we would lose him to another EPL team in a flash if that were put to him.

@Hugo Rune is right imo, a summer break away from the pressure, time to recover from lingering illness - if it was Glandular Fever - ie the Epstein-Barr virus, then post viral fatigue and muscle pain/stiffness even ME is very common - managing his minutes and exercise is crucial for a longterm recovery (I speak from contracting Epstein-Barr myself at the age of 19 and having ME as a result).

Form is temporary. Class is permanent.

👏👏

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Like Connolly did? That didn't exactly work out well. If Ferguson is as good as I think he is, and I think he's sensational, then there is not a cat's chance in hell that he'll be loaned out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Like Connolly did? That didn't exactly work out well. If Ferguson is as good as I think he is, and I think he's sensational, then there is not a cat's chance in hell that he'll be loaned out.
No - I mean our mistake with Connolly was not sending him out on loan. The club acknowledge that

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I disagree - ‘Relegating’ Fergie to a Championship side would be absolutely the worst thing for his confidence, below his level of skill and his Dad would absolutely not allow it - we would lose him to another EPL team in a flash if that were put to him.

@Hugo Rune is right imo, a summer break away from the pressure, time to recover from lingering illness - if it was Glandular Fever - ie the Epstein-Barr virus, then post viral fatigue and muscle pain/stiffness even ME is very common - managing his minutes and exercise is crucial for a longterm recovery (I speak from contracting Epstein-Barr myself at the age of 19 and having ME as a result).

👏👏
How long can we put up with a striker low on confidence and not scoring. I think I saw a stat saying 20 games without a goal now. Or if Brighton fans are ‘patient’ enough to persevere with the risk of detriment to the teams progress then so be it

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Ireland can do one. Adding double pressure on the likes of Connolly, Ferguson, Molumbu two weeks into their professional careers thanks a lot

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How long can we put up with a striker low on confidence and not scoring. I think I saw a stat saying 20 games without a goal now. Or if Brighton fans are ‘patient’ enough to persevere with the risk of detriment to the teams progress then so be it
Yeah let's still with Welbeck...

...oh.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the whisper on the stands.

I have no reason to doubt my source.

You can pinpoint Ferguson’s loss of energy, form and confidence to a specific lay-off that was described by the club as an un-named illness. He has never been the same since.

It all adds up and will be remedied by time and a good pre-season. Sadly this illness has affected our season as much as those injuries to Mitoma & Pedro etc.

We are really struggling for goals when we need them most. Just one goal in the three critical games against Wolves and Roma; our season is in danger of fizzling out completely due to a lack of firepower.
Makes sense to me. Was it not the same for the lad we had on loan (I think from ManU) some seasons ago who was chucking up on the pitch? Sadly in his case things never much improved. I think he plays in the lower leagues somewhere now. Edit James Wilson. Serious knee injury in his next loan at Derby. Now at Port Vale..

It won't be mental attitude (the lad seems sound). It won't be a niggling injury (clubs don't inject them with steroids and tell them to get on with it anymore). It probably isn't personal/family issues (Undav was quickly taken out of the squad when that happened, and the club helped him out at his request and shipped him out on loan to his homeland). So an illness that is hard to pinpoint, that doesn't exactly cause fatigue, more a kind of fog.....it all adds up - but I have no proof and no inside info.

What matters is that whatever it is he's supported.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here