Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A loan wasn’t an option for a number of reasons though, not least a severe lack of strikers. Having let Undav go, we’ve had just two outright strikers all season - both of whom have suffered injuries leaving the other one exposed to more minutes than they should be.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
l have to admit to having a few concerns about our free scoring boy wonder, (free scoring last season and the beginning of this anyway), obviously consistency is not going to be there in a teenager, but for me his workrate seems to have dropped off considerably, no long being prepared to bust a gut to get on the end of scoring chances, and being happy for the ball to come to him. For such a big strong lad he should have more of a physical presence too, at the moment anyway he is all too easily shrugged off the ball and isn't winning enough aerial challenges either.

From his point of view it may be better to get this season over and done with, then come back for pre-season training with confidence snd motivation renewed realy to go again come August. Hopefull that will be the case.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm not too sure how many of the people who are suggesting he should have gone out on loan, held that view when he scored his hat-trick against Newcastle in early September.

Anyway, in the immediate aftermath of that match he missed the international break with a "knee injury". A couple of weeks later he was suffering from an unspecified "illness". He went into the November internationals with a "back injury" and after he left the game against Netherlands he was seen applying an icepack to his hamstring.
He missed the Wolves FA Cup match through an unspecified injury.

Young players are inconsistent at the best of times but he's had a significant number of physical ailments this term which certainly haven't helped him play regularly and perform at the highest level. I'm hoping his issues will, at worst, be finally resolved over the summer and he'll be firing on all cylinders come August.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not too sure how many of the people who are suggesting he should have gone out on loan, held that view when he scored his hat-trick against Newcastle in early September.
A very small number, I should imagine! Not many more, if any, in January either. However, in retrospect, and with hindsight, and with how his season has gone since January, a clairvoyant on the coaching staff may have been useful to have in January!

Still, that moment has passed, and even though with hindsight a half season banging in the goals in a lower division might have been useful, that is by no means a plan or suggestion for next season!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Anyway, in the immediate aftermath of that match he missed the international break with a "knee injury". A couple of weeks later he was suffering from an unspecified "illness". He went into the November internationals with a "back injury" and after he left the game against Netherlands he was seen applying an icepack to his hamstring.

Young players are inconsistent at the best of times but he's had a significant number of physical ailments this term which certainly haven't helped him play regularly and perform at the highest level. I'm hoping his issues will, at worst, be finally resolved over the summer and he'll be firing on all cylinders come August.
Bet he had glandular fever. Won't be back to his best till next season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I keep saying this, but the lad is only 19. He's coming to terms with not only the mental and physical demands of the Prem and European football, but also international football with Ireland. No other side has a teenager who has scored 12 Prem goals.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is anyone else concerned that it is something in our coaching that is causing problems for our boy wonder?

Outside of our purple patch at the beginning of the season when our attacks looked fast and direct we have struggled for goals.

Are we now an attacking team who struggle to put the ball in the net. I don't think that the individuals are to blame, I think we need a change in tactics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I suspect he may not be fully recovered from the roughing up he got in Amsterdam.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Why are we playing a striker at all. They have no role in the build up because we just pass the ball in the middle until there is space on the wing. Striker not involved. And when the winger makes a cross or dribble, we already have five or six players in their penalty box. Our striker is basically just another guy waiting for the ball in the box. Could just add another midfielder instead who can stand waiting in the box AND help us in midfield

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
His form has plummeted and he looks a bit of a donkey at the moment imo. Plenty of time to turn it around I hope, but my heart sinks when he comes on recently. But yeah he is only 19 and he didn’t fluke all the goals he’s scored, something is amiss and trust the club to sort it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is anyone else concerned that it is something in our coaching that is causing problems for our boy wonder?

Outside of our purple patch at the beginning of the season when our attacks looked fast and direct we have struggled for goals.

Are we now an attacking team who struggle to put the ball in the net. I don't think that the individuals are to blame, I think we need a change in tactics.
We are trying to walk the ball into the goal again like we did under Potter. RDZ initially got them shooting almost on sight - they need to go back to that. A couple of lucky deflections resulting in a tap in for Evan would do wonders for everyone.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We are trying to walk the ball into the goal again like we did under Potter. RDZ initially got them shooting almost on sight - they need to go back to that. A couple of lucky deflections resulting in a tap in for Evan would do wonders for everyone.
For me peak Evan (so far) saw him take a touch and then shoot. He doesn't seem to do that anymore. Not sure if it is coaching or confidence but we need to get him back to this.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It’s not the lack of goals which is worrying me, it’s the lack of chances, he’s not even getting into the correct positions at the moment and his touch is frankly awful. If he were breaking into the 1st team now then we’d be saying “next”. However we know there is a potential elite striker in there, I wouldn’t be against him having a run out for the U23s in PL2.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Living in Bristol we've had a lot of Irish in the pubs this week. Universally their opinion is that De Zerbi isn't giving him a proper chance. He's clearly very, very highly thought off. This is across generations - they all see him as a unique player. I've been fighting the club's and manager's position (essentially along the lines of him being desperately out of form) but they absolutely don't accept that. What does that mean? Probably nothing, beyond confirming football is all about (often wildly differening) opinions.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Any striker would suffer in our team at the moment they don’t get the ball early enough they all make runs and the ball never arrives. Ferguson is limited to half chances in a congested box. Watch our next game the striker will be on his toes and the player with the ball looks up and passes sideways no wonder we hardly score. Can I remember the last one on one chance striker v keeper nope.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It’s not the lack of goals which is worrying me, it’s the lack of chances, he’s not even getting into the correct positions at the moment and his touch is frankly awful. If he were breaking into the 1st team now then we’d be saying “next”. However we know there is a potential elite striker in there, I wouldn’t be against him having a run out for the U23s in PL2.
In the Fulham game he did actually get two good chances (one he should have scored and one decent but not easy chance). While it would have been nice if he’d scored I did think at least he’s back to having chances.

I’ve seen glandular fever mentioned a few times. Is there any evidence for this or is it just a theory?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here