Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson: The making of Brighton forward who could develop into a £100m player

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Reminds me more of Shearer. One thing's for sure, he's a much better player at this age than Kane was. Very exciting.
I can see why, but Shearer was just extraordinary. I remember seeing him play for Southampton against our youth team after he had already scored a hat trick for their first team, he was just sensational and ran the game scoring at least three. Shearer was eased into their first team over a couple of seasons and we are lucky that we have Welbeck to alternate with Ferguson to avoid burnout for both of them.

I think to be worth more than £75m he would need to do as well the following season to show it wasn’t a one off . 2 seasons of 20 goals I agree would turn him into £100m player .
We might need him to take all the penalties to achieve those figures.
I'd be happy with 15 as long as we had 4 or 5 others bagging a dozen.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The problem for Ferguson is the hype. But thankfully he seems level headed. He hasn't had a full season yet and it's only once he has that we will know the extent of his talents and where he is headed. Players like Francis Jeffers and Collins John were lauded in the same way.

So quotes of £100m, £150m are fantasy. And posting articles of glutinous praise only re-enforce the echo chamber. These articles are just platitudes. Meaningless.

Ferguson is a youngster making his way in one of the hardest leagues in the world. At the end of next season we'll get a better feeling of how things are for him. Signs so far have been good. But all this fawning won't make him Haaland's nemesis. He's got a big year ahead and folk need to sober up their expectations.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

The problem for Ferguson is the hype. But thankfully he seems level headed. He hasn't had a full season yet and it's only once he has that we will know the extent of his talents and where he is headed. Players like Francis Jeffers and Collins John were lauded in the same way.

So quotes of £100m, £150m are fantasy. And posting articles of glutinous praise only re-enforce the echo chamber. These articles are just platitudes. Meaningless.

Ferguson is a youngster making his way in one of the hardest leagues in the world. At the end of next season we'll get a better feeling of how things are for him. Signs so far have been good. But all this fawning won't make him Haaland's nemesis. He's got a big year ahead and folk need to sober up their expectations.

I remember Fulham had a guy called John Collins, who they sold, and next season signed Collins John 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think it’s okay because that’s just us and the media.

Evan appears to maturely swat all that noise to one side.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I wonder what RDZ thinks of Evan Ferguson and whether he fits his style of play? There was a match where he played well and scored - I don’t remember which match - but RDZ certainly played it down post match and basically said he needed to improve. Again just last week there was a quote from RDZ saying he can improve and he must improve to play quick football…or something similar, im sure someone will find the quotes. Maybe it’s a case of pushing him but both times it seemed quite negative to me.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I wonder what RDZ thinks of Evan Ferguson and whether he fits his style of play? There was a match where he played well and scored - I don’t remember which match - but RDZ certainly played it down post match and basically said he needed to improve. Again just last week there was a quote from RDZ saying he can improve and he must improve to play quick football…or something similar, im sure someone will find the quotes. Maybe it’s a case of pushing him but both times it seemed quite negative to me.
Definitely just RDZ striving for perfection.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

The hype will have zero impact on Ferguson - hype has surrounded him since he push Zouma off the ball during his Bohs debut against Chelsea at 14 years of age.

The kid is mature way beyond his years and it helps that his father knows the ropes and what he needs to do - that kind of support is invaluable for a young footballer in today's game.

Ferguson has a unique combination of talent, strength, tactical awareness and intelligence that will lead him to becoming one of the best strikers in the PL. The only think that could impede his progress is injury - but even there he strikes me as the type of player that will avoid serious injury. The talk of him being a £100m player is not hype - it demonstrates the potential for what he is capable of doing.

(and by the way - if Brighton do sell him for £100 - £15million of that will go to Bohemians because of his sell-on clause. That kind of money will have a massive impact on Bohs and the LoI).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's very comforting with Ferguson is just how normal he seems.

Hopefully this isn't tempting fate with the summer stretching ahead: but the chances of Evan being spotted face down outside Revs in a pool of vomit, hanging off the arm of some inflatable Love Island waster, or Instagramming himself lying on a bed of £50 notes in Mykonos while alternately smoking a cigar and inhaling nitrous seem, from everything we've seen so far, very slim.

He's even got an extremely sensible haircut. Is anybody seriously expecting him to turn up for the first game in August with a bleach blond mohawk?

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

This is very simple and short commentary obviously, but it's nice to see that he's definitely got the importance of the positional side of the game

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
He's exactly the same with Enciso. I think it's just his style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here