Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Evan Ferguson- Free To Collector

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's an odd thing alright. I was in a conversation with an arsenal fan recently who seemed genuinely annoyed at ME and to a lesser extent Brighton. Because in his words 'we would have won the league with Caicedo'.

It's such an odd argument to be stuck in as you get trapped in some strange semantic, existential territory.

I was left just sort of saying 'er yeah but he plays for us. And we also needed him'.

He just couldn't grasp the idea that everyone else doesn't exist to service his preferences. So odd. Like arguing with a toddler about why it can't play with a chainsaw. You hope the inherent madness in their proposition would become apparent but it just doesn't.
I think there is a good chance that Arsenal would have run City closer with Moises but then we’d have ended up even higher if we had Harry Kane (shithead) too. All ifs and buts. They didn’t get him and they choked, f***ing hilarious it is too, especially as it was Moises’ club that hammered the final nail in their League title coffin, whilst giving the club the impetus to nail a European place for us. Keeping Moises is the reason we did it too imo.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Only seven players in history have gone for £100m. A couple of those had January tax on them too.

If Albion collect £80m+ for either of those players they have done well.

Tin hat on, MAC and Moises are quality Premier League players, but they are not 'all time' players.

Largely in agreement with you, but inflation has been running hot this last couple of years. Best thing we can do is wait and see how Tony and co play it. It looks like we’re trying to get a lot of our incoming business done early, which gives me confidence.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Largely in agreement with you, but inflation has been running hot this last couple of years. Best thing we can do is wait and see how Tony and co play it. It looks like we’re trying to get a lot of our incoming business done early, which gives me confidence.
I know no more than the next, but I suspect MAC would come out around the £70m mark, and Moises pushing £80m. Not including add ons.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Chelsea paid double Cuc's worth, so not a yardstick by which to evaluate other players.
Cuckoo was worth well over £32m. He's a good player, and he's one of many who have struggled at Chelsea this season.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I always like the house price analogy. Agents and market telling me mine worth 300k but I’m happy and don’t want to sell. If I have to find a replacement there will be fees and hassle plus I might not like it once in and settled. If you seriously want to convince me it will be 400k+ for a house that’s still worth 300k (and likely to appreciate in value over time so I’d still have to think about it and do some market research on my next place before agreeing). Telling me you’ll pay 100k now and 20k bonus if you ever do ‘x’ is not gonna get you my house.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I still believe our MVP is Estupinan,I've not ever in my life seen a player get up and down the pitch as frequently as he does and I honestly think he's still a bit on the raw side of the finished article,the bloke has 2 engines, definitely my POTS by a distance.

It's now just laughable we flog Chelsea Cuckoo for 63 million and replace him with somebody even better for a net profit of 45 million quid. I now view Chelsea's attempt at destabilising another football club as a fkd up Viking raid where they invade a small village run off with a few birds and a treasure chest then half way back home open the chest and find a potato in it and then lift up the girls frocks only to find they've been duped yet again upon seeing the dangly bits.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Chelsea paid double Cuc's worth, so not a yardstick by which to evaluate other players.
You could argue it is exactly the yardstick to measure Caicedo with. He's been here one year and is contracted until 2027. Any club wants Caicedo, they pay a fortune.

Ale Mac,.less so. He's done his time here. We're not obliged to, but will surely let him go for a fair price, as that appears to be the model we are using to attract players in the first place.

Ale Mac 70m, Caicedo 100m (but you can have him for 80m in 12 months time)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I always like the house price analogy. Agents and market telling me mine worth 300k but I’m happy and don’t want to sell. If I have to find a replacement there will be fees and hassle plus I might not like it once in and settled. If you seriously want to convince me it will be 400k+ for a house that’s still worth 300k (and likely to appreciate in value over time so I’d still have to think about it and do some market research on my next place before agreeing). Telling me you’ll pay 100k now and 20k bonus if you ever do ‘x’ is not gonna get you my house.
I'd like to buy back my first house and use it as a BTL. I paid £17600 in 1980, so surely I should be able to buy it now for about £20, 000. Isn't that the big club analogy?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I still believe our MVP is Estupinan,I've not ever in my life seen a player get up and down the pitch as frequently as he does and I honestly think he's still a bit on the raw side of the finished article,the bloke has 2 engines, definitely my POTS by a distance.

It's now just laughable we flog Chelsea Cuckoo for 63 million and replace him with somebody even better for a net profit of 45 million quid. I now view Chelsea's attempt at destabilising another football club as a fkd up Viking raid where they invade a small village run off with a few birds and a treasure chest then half way back home open the chest and find a potato in it and then lift up the girls frocks only to find they've been duped yet again upon seeing the dangly bits.
On Estupinan I think the commentator on a game recently said he had the highest number of sprints in the Premier League this season.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Seen it loads since last summer. First it was City fans getting arsey becuase they needed a new left back and we weren't accepting their valuation for Cucurella. Arsenal fans reaction to the fact that we'd only paid about 4m for Caicedo and weren't selling for 70m was something else though. Naylor in particular got a load of abuse just for reporting facts fed to him direct from the club - ie that he was going nowhere in Jan.
This seems to be the common theme among "big six" supporters. My arsenal suppoorting mate got really bitchy over the Caceido thing, and even now cant help himself with the "you may have qualified but see how you do when we ytake Caceiado in summer, you cant stop us if we want him.
He didnt respond well after I pointed out that is exactly what we did in January, and that even if he went which was distinctly possible, it would be on Brightons terms, not Arsenals

A City supporting guy from WORTHING was going on about how they were frugal in transfers, and simply couldnt understand why I was laughing at hoe frugal £100 million on Jack Grealish was.

Going back to Leeds and Ben White was the same, with the whole "Free Ben White" thing

The chelsea fans getting upset because we want Levi is funny as f*ck

The funny thing is, I think they really do believe the bollocks they speak. They simply cant comprehend that Brighton will be setting the terms of any transfers and not them

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I still find it baffling that other football fans dont see it like this. But i guess its rare that top 6 fans are on the selling side of this position. They all moan that we should sell players at a fair price, but why should we?! Why should we make the deal ''fair'' for you. Totally illogical.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I still find it baffling that other football fans dont see it like this. But i guess its rare that top 6 fans are on the selling side of this position. They all moan that we should sell players at a fair price, but why should we?! Why should we make the deal ''fair'' for you. Totally illogical.
With Cucurella, for example, if £30m is a fair price then why would we sell for £30m as a like for like replacement would cost £30m (we’ll ignore the ridiculously good price we paid for Estupinan). For a club to sell the price has to be more than the player is worth to the selling club.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
With Cucurella, for example, if £30m is a fair price then why would we sell for £30m as a like for like replacement would cost £30m (we’ll ignore the ridiculously good price we paid for Estupinan). For a club to sell the price has to be more than the player is worth to the selling club.
Unfortunately it‘s not a simple free market. Wages paid/offered, agents, geography, contacts, ambition (eg. Champions League), personalities etc etc all come into it. As much as we would like to think we hold the aces here, if a richer/bigger club offering Champions League football and much bigger wages comes up with a decent transfer fee, there are not many players who would remain loyal to their current club. We have some bargaining power to ensure the fee is at least reasonable, or maybe to delay the inevitable like we did in January, but that’s about it.
In the same way we would expect that to work in our favour when we buy players too.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Leicester won the league, and aren't a big 6 club. We won't be a big 6 club while we are owned by a local fan.

As another post states, we are a top 6 club this season, and that's it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only seven players in history have gone for £100m. A couple of those had January tax on them too.

If Albion collect £80m+ for either of those players they have done well.

Tin hat on, MAC and Moises are quality Premier League players, but they are not 'all time' players.

Imho Mac Allister is a special player. From watching him at games (‘off camera’), as well as long videos online of his play in the WC and PL. His next club are getting a great player for many years to come.

Caicedo is still a work in progress for me, understandable for his age. Outstanding in most games, not at that level in others. Under RDZ I hope, he’s only going to get better.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
What I don’t understand is why some fans get so upset about the valuation for players? Its not their bloody money and its down to their clubs deciding whether they want to negotiate a certain price. I like to think most Brighton fans may grumble about not getting a certain player but ultimately accept it’s Blooms money and it’s down to him what he is comfortable spending.

Controversial take, but it makes me a bit more sympathetic to the Palace fans valuing their own players so highly (which I know we sometimes poked fun at). Though in that case I think that is because their club would have imploded if they had sold certain key players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here