Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] European Super League Approval

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
100 percent against the super league

But that idea would collapse the domestic league.
Why would it ? I support Brighton. Don’t care who we play. It would be much better to have a more level playing field and not have some fans moaning we should be trying to compete with oil states. I would rather we didn’t and am happy to show the door to certain English clubs.

albionalba

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
72% of ALL fans?? What was the scope of the survey? If I stand at the end of my road and survey the cars that go past for 10 seconds and the 3 that go past in that 10 seconds all happen to be red, then my survey results would conclude that all cars driving on that road are red. Which of course would be nonsense but factually correct in my survey.
Was that road the A22?

Jimmy Grimble

This is where I am. I actually hope it happens and goes on a PPV channel for all of the 'big 6' and their many followers can enjoy the action, and the rest of us mere mortals can enjoy what would be a hugely competitive PL.
This has to be a first? Whoever runs the @crodonilson account has forgotten to log into their normal account! It’s the most un-typical crodonilson post ever :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why would it ? I support Brighton. Don’t care who we play. It would be much better to have a more level playing field and not have some fans moaning we should be trying to compete with oil states. I would rather we didn’t and am happy to show the door to certain English clubs.

What has the fact that you support Brighton got to do with the impact on TV rights of the big 6 f**king off to a super league?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And overseas/TV deals won't pay billions for Brighton V Luton

Good luck to clubs with stadium/owner debt

How much of the TV deal is passed on down to lower leagues?

Like it or not, the English league System needs United/Liverpool/Arsenal in it as they have massive fan bases across the world that pay for the TV rights etc.

Banning them from domestic football is a ridiculous idea.
Not at all. The rest of us just learn to cut our cloth accordingly.

What interest do I have in Messi, Mbappe, Ronaldo? Absolutely f*** all. The stars have zero loyalty to us, look at Henderson, they just want money so let them go. Those that are left might actually have some link to the fans and their club employers.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I support a super league if they go and don't keep playing in their domestic leagues. Take the money, take the greed and take the 'glamour', it's not part of football I enjoy. If they want to be in a league rife with financial doping them they can be my guest.

Our domestic league can then create a sustainable and competitive competiton focused on giving really supports a real experience.

Yeah, no chance!! Football is f***ed either way.

How depressing.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
every single other league in the world survives without Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. The remaining teams would undoubtedly have to change the way they operate and budgets would be MUCH lower but it wouldn't be the end of the world. A league that is less run for the will of the TV companies and less money orientated doesn't sound too bad to me.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
every single other league in the world survives without Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. The remaining teams would undoubtedly have to change the way they operate and budgets would be MUCH lower but it wouldn't be the end of the world. A league that is less run for the will of the TV companies and less money orientated doesn't sound too bad to me.
Could not agree more. If the greedy b*stards want to bore themselves playing the same teams every week then let them do it but they can stay out of our league.

A league where players will have to got by on less than £300k a week I'm sure would be welcome to the owners too.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Could not agree more. If the greedy b*stards want to bore themselves playing the same teams every week then let them do it but they can stay out of our league.

A league where players will have to got by on less than £300k a week I'm sure would be welcome to the owners too.

If the incoming money stops, I imagine a large amount of owners will jump ship, they are not going to hang around pumping in money to keep clubs going.

Bloom Is a fan, but I doubt very much he would stay, how much is he owed?

Why do clubs charge more for Tickets for games against Utd etc? Because they are the cash cow, the rest of the English clubs know this.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If the incoming money stops, I imagine a large amount of owners will jump ship, they are not going to hang around pumping in money to keep clubs going.

Why do clubs charge more for Tickets for games against Utd etc? Because they are the cash cow, the rest of the English clubs know this.
Most clubs operate at a loss don't they? Or does this take into account money taken out by the owners/chairmen? Genuine question btw.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
With Tnsfc being such a dominant force in The Cymru Farmers Premier League having won the league title fourteen times in the last eleven seasons have they been invited to join this new proposed league ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You obviously don't understand Bloom. If the club is devalued as a result why would Bloom go. He owns the club, he owns the debt.

It would result in a reduction in wages, which is a good thing. Clubs will be become sustainable, local businessmen will again be able to own their clubs without fear of losing everything.

If we're playing in the future against a team like West Ham or Villa at the top of the EPL we will still be playing to full crowds. Meanwhile the likes of Spurs will be playing yet another dead rubber In front of a couple of thousand in their toilet bowl. Bring it on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The state of this:

Looks as believable as a communist-era general election result. It gets worse as your read the thread.

Who commissioned the survey though? Unless it's by a scrupulously-independent third party surveys always show the result that the commissioning body wish to put across (or they don't publish it). Even though I'm not a gambling man I would wager a large sum of money that this group are in favour of (or are behind) the concept of a Super League. If the FSA for example did it I'm sure the result would be different.

EDIT: According to post #10 this lot ARE behind the Super League, so no surprise.

EDIT2 (O/T): I remember 'Yes Minister' doing a bit on how surveys can be manipulated. Humphrey got Bernard to say both Yes and No to the re-introduction of National Service just by altering the lead-up questions.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The state of this:

Looks as believable as a communist-era general election result. It gets worse as your read the thread.

I imagine the 72% are not season ticket holders and live in Singapore, Africa, China, etc etc.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I'm all for it as It would hopefully mean an end to all the filthy sportswashers, hedge funds & dodgy rich johnny foreigners being involved at our level. That survey reminds me of Anchorman - 60% of the time, its right every time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You obviously don't understand Bloom. If the club is devalued as a result why would Bloom go. He owns the club, he owns the debt.

It would result in a reduction in wages, which is a good thing. Clubs will be become sustainable, local businessmen will again be able to own their clubs without fear of losing everything.

If we're playing in the future against a team like West Ham or Villa at the top of the EPL we will still be playing to full crowds. Meanwhile the likes of Spurs will be playing yet another dead rubber In front of a couple of thousand in their toilet bowl. Bring it on.
Bloom (barber) have been quite public

Bloom/Barber has openly said that he wants the club to be self-sufficient, how would slashing income help that.

You can see local businessmen/women run clubs up and down the country, they play in front of tiny crowds because the standard is lower and there isn't the interest.

If the super league goes through, crowd figures won't really matter if the finances are correct.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bloom (barber) have been quite public

Bloom/Barber has openly said that he wants the club to be self-sufficient, how would slashing income help that.

You can see local businessmen/women run clubs up and down the country, they play in front of tiny crowds because the standard is lower and there isn't the interest.

If the super league goes through, crowd figures won't really matter if the finances are correct
If players wages reflected income then it will be sustainable. Biggest cost to clubs is the payroll. There's not a player in the EPL that justifies their wage. If the income stream is cut then reality may kick in, and about time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If players wages reflected income then it will be sustainable. Biggest cost to clubs is the payroll. There's not a player in the EPL that justifies their wage. If the income stream is cut then reality may kick in, and about time.
I agree on lowering wages needing to be cut for FFP reasons.

Clubs would still be in more of a mess with all the other bills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here