[Albion] European football - Poll time

Will we end up in Europe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A straight shoot out. Yes or no?

No fence sitting here chaps.

I'm firmly in the yes camp after beating Arsenal 3-0.
Screenshot_20230515-082813.png

May 1, 2023
Having seen the Brentford result yesterday pre-match, my gut feel was that 6th would be tied up by the end of next Sunday post Soton.

I fancied a Brighton win against Arsenal but nothing like what transpired though.

My gut has been wrong many many times though so it may have just been daydreaming at the possibility of Europe

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yes.

Was always looking like a last day shoot out with Villa but then we did that yesterday.

I think it will be done and dusted and we'll be dusting off our passports at 4pm Sunday.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
i've done all the calculations and as long as liverpool do Villa and we beat southampton we get 7th at a minimum.

Im chilled!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the question is do we want Europe?

I have thought long, hard and deep about this.

And my answer is, yes, yes we do want Europe.

But will it affect our season? For reference, we can look at how Palace did last time they got into Europe. Let me look it up.....

Yes, here we are: "Lombardo and Brolin were replaced as the management team by out-going chairman Noades and Ray Lewington for the last three games of the campaign. Despite finishing bottom, the beginning of the next season saw Palace get their first experience of European football in the UEFA Intertoto Cup.".

Not sure that seeing whether playing in a brief invitation tournament affects a relegated side is going to help my thinking about the Albion, here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
7th would feel like a MASSIVE disappointment (Conference) when 6th and the Europa league is there for the taking.

A win at Newcastle and Spurs/Villa both failing to win will see us in 6th minimum. Otherwise we'll need 3 points against Southampton - not that any of us should take that for granted after a) the Everton result and b) the BHA/Southampton fixture hasn't resulted in a home win for about 5 seasons.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I still have a scintilla of hope for 4th, beating Newcastle will increase that to a smidgen, especially if Leicester get something today.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think the question is do we want Europe?

I have thought long, hard and deep about this.

And my answer is, yes, yes we do want Europe.

But will it affect our season? For reference, we can look at how Palace did last time they got into Europe. Let me look it up.....

Yes, here we are: "Lombardo and Brolin were replaced as the management team by out-going chairman Noades and Ray Lewington for the last three games of the campaign. Despite finishing bottom, the beginning of the next season saw Palace get their first experience of European football in the UEFA Intertoto Cup.".

Not sure that seeing whether playing in a brief invitation tournament affects a relegated side is going to help my thinking about the Albion, here.
What happens if BRighton EXIT Europe?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still have a scintilla of hope for 4th, beating Newcastle will increase that to a smidgen, especially if Leicester get something today.
All hope of 4th went with the Everton shambles.

Even if we win against Newcastle, they'd still only need a win and draw against Leicester and Chelsea. Man Utd simply need a win and a draw against Bournemouth, Chelsea and Fulham to finish above us.

And this all assumes we win every game including against Man City.

It's gone.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
also Newcastle dont play until Monday.

If we beat them and Saints we will be 2 points behind with same games played

Then its a 2 game shoot out

They have Leicester H and Chelsea A

**edit - forgot about Liverpool

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
All hope of 4th went with the Everton shambles.

Even if we win against Newcastle, they'd still only need a win and draw against Leicester and Chelsea. Man Utd simply need a win and a draw against Bournemouth, Chelsea or Fulham to finish above us.

And this all assumes we win every game including against Man City.

It's gone.
A scintilla of hope remains though, to help feed this faint hope, City should be a bit relaxed, with the title in the bag when we play them, Leicester will be fighting for their lives V Newcastle and Liverpool tonight. Chelsea are capable of stopping Newcastle at Stamford Bridge. I agree that Man Utd are there with Fulham and Chelsea both at home and a now safe from relegation Bournemouth away.
What will happen though, is that Newcastle do slip, we win all our games, but Liverpool steal in by winning their last 3 remaining games.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Anyone that doesn't want Brighton, I genuinely don't think is an Albion fan. Why, with this squad and management team would we want to settle for 8th? Then lose some key players in the summer, replace them well enough, and then aim for 8th again??

For me, when we smashed Liverpool at home I really started to believe we could do it, and deserved to be up there.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
I’m confident after the meaningfulness of the last two games and our improved mentality that we will finish the season very strongly and pull away from both Spurs and Villa. 5th is probably a stretch though.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Anyone that doesn't want Brighton, I genuinely don't think is an Albion fan. Why, with this squad and management team would we want to settle for 8th? Then lose some key players in the summer, replace them well enough, and then aim for 8th again??

For me, when we smashed Liverpool at home I really started to believe we could do it, and deserved to be up there.
I want Europe but am equally wary of it.

I believe Moises and Alexis will both leave regardless and Europe will take its toll on our already thinish squad. A decent summer window will be required.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
whats the difference between 5th and 6th europe wise , both straight into Europa League group stages ? or 6th has to qualify ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here