Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Europa League - What we know so far

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
1) It's a European competition we haven't qualified for
C'mon Trigg - have faith, man. Are we really going to ship 12 goals without reply to City and Villa?

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Isn't it one team from each pot per group? So we would be third seeds.View attachment 161225
Why is Sturm Graz in the Europa league? They have finished 2nd, and Austria has two qualifiers for the Champions League (RB Salzburg qualify direct for the group stage, Sturm Graz enter at the third qualifying round). So the Austrian qualifier for the Europa League should be the 3rd placed team, which is LASK (Linz).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why is Sturm Graz in the Europa league? They have finished 2nd, and Austria has two qualifiers for the Champions League (RB Salzburg qualify direct for the group stage, Sturm Graz enter at the third qualifying round). So the Austrian qualifier for the Europa League should be the 3rd placed team, which is LASK (Linz).
It's a prediction of the GROUP stage of the Europa League.

The Group Stage is made up of the following 32 clubs...

1 - Europa Conference League title holder
6 - domestic cup winners from associations 1–6
1 - domestic league fourth-placed team from association 5
4 - domestic league fifth-placed teams from associations 1–4
10 - winners from the play-off round
4 - teams eliminated from Champions League play-off round (Champions Path)
2 - teams eliminated from Champions League play-off round (League Path)
4 - teams eliminated from Champions League third qualifying round (League Path)

...so I assume the modelling has Sturm Graz dropping out of the CL into the Europa League.

Clearly we'll not know all of the other 31 clubs until the CL preliminary rounds are played out.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Which hotel has everyone else booked for the final in Dublin?

What?
You joke but we’re on our way song will be sang as Dublin next year for fun I’m sure!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023

Had a look into Europa League pots and Brighton could be placed into pot 2, that is if, at least, two clubs above us (in terms of coefficient) fail to qualify for the Europa League group stages.
So, in your example, let's say if Molde and Slovan Bratislava failed to qualify then it would be us to get that final spot in pot 2.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
C'mon Trigg - have faith, man. Are we really going to ship 12 goals without reply to City and Villa?
I have faith. Just pointing out what we all know for fun.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If you're a Palace fan right now, it's the kind of Christmas where the kid down the road you don't like gets a PS5, whilst your parents get you a trigonometry set and a Casio calculator.
And you say you never wanted a PS5 anyway and that the trigonometry set and a Casio calculator are better.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Very unlucky if you're placed in pot 3, from what I've seen you're at least a pot-2 team.

Juventus deducted 10 points, will shake up Europa league a bit
If we manage to qualify for Europa League, I don't think we'll shake anything at all given that we've already played there (poorly) this season and gone out in the semifinal :lolol:

You're overestimating the current state of Juventus (disastrous) and underestimating the level of Europa League (tricky, for anyone bar Man City I think.) E.g. Arsenal went out of Europa League in the round of 16 against Sporting this season.

Provocation: EL might actually present tougher obstacles for you than the Champions League would, given your good results against big clubs who are possession-oriented and your not-so-good results against less dominating clubs that are based around defensive solidity.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It's a prediction of the GROUP stage of the Europa League.

The Group Stage is made up of the following 32 clubs...

1 - Europa Conference League title holder
6 - domestic cup winners from associations 1–6
1 - domestic league fourth-placed team from association 5
4 - domestic league fifth-placed teams from associations 1–4
10 - winners from the play-off round
4 - teams eliminated from Champions League play-off round (Champions Path)
2 - teams eliminated from Champions League play-off round (League Path)
4 - teams eliminated from Champions League third qualifying round (League Path)

...so I assume the modelling has Sturm Graz dropping out of the CL into the Europa League.

Clearly we'll not know all of the other 31 clubs until the CL preliminary rounds are played out.
I've always thought it a bit perverse that if you get knocked out of the early stages of the Champions League you get a second crack at a European competition, but if you make it all the way to the final and then lose you get nothing*.
*Except a big pile of cash, obviously.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
europa-league.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here