Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europa League final: Sevilla v Roma

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Their fans definitely deserve punishing for those airport scenes
All of them or just the ones at the airport? Not to hard to pick out the culprits on CCTV who then used a passport to board a flight.
Italian clubs banning fans is a whole different ball game as the Ultra’s have a say in such matters. Put it this way PB wouldn’t last very long at an Italian club.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The point is English 'fans' have exported hooliganism abroad far more times than other nations.If I asked you to name situations where English fans rioted abroad during World Cups,Euro Championships etc then you could think of many.If I asked you to name even one where Italian,Spanish,German fans etc had done the same when following the national sides then you would struggle.
I disagree. It gets reported disproportionately when it's England fans. As just one example, France 98 I was at Germany v Croatia, with the Croatia fans, having bottles thrown at us pre-game. Post-match the centre of Lyon was closed while German fans rampaged despite a ban on alcohol sales and huge efforts from French police. This was two weeks after German hooligans had put a French police officer in a coma after a game in Lens (I think he's never fully recovered) and caused such damage the German government suggested the team should withdraw from the tournament. Barely reported in England.

Spanish fans rioted in December over games with Morocco and Argentina...

...it's only a couple of months since the England game in Italy had intense security and some fan events cancelled because of threats from Italian ultras that were deemed credible.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It’s very difficult
There has to be a line somewhere though.
Ignoring social media - which will never be controlled - there have to be minimum standards of behaviour in football.
There has to be a red line.

Mourinho crossed it
The Roma fans crossed it
And should be severely punished by stadium bans and criminal convictions

For the Tottenham game, Stuart Attwell and his VAR crossed a different line it in terms of professionalism
And should have been punished by demotion down the leagues or sackings

I’m not trying to link the two in any way, but unless there are appropriate sanctions on these type of failures, then they will just continue

Professional and excellent referees will continue to be abused
And unprofessional and negligent referees will continue to drag down the best

Mourinho should be banned
Attwell should have been sacked.

Neither will be or have been and so the circus continues.
I tried to articulate this but you've done it better than I could have.

There's no justification or excuse for Mourinho's behaviour and he needs a lengthy ban.

The vacuum created by there being apparently no transparency or accountability for objectively poor refereeing contributes to this environment, because it feeds oxygen to every grotesque chancer who wants to claim conspiracy whenever something doesn't go their way. It's not the fault of referees, it's the fault of a closed-door system that in trying to protect them instead makes them scapegoats.

Both issues need to be addressed together for the good of the game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s very difficult
There has to be a line somewhere though.
Ignoring social media - which will never be controlled - there have to be minimum standards of behaviour in football.
There has to be a red line.

Mourinho crossed it
The Roma fans crossed it
And should be severely punished by stadium bans and criminal convictions

For the Tottenham game, Stuart Attwell and his VAR crossed a different line it in terms of professionalism
And should have been punished by demotion down the leagues or sackings

I’m not trying to link the two in any way, but unless there are appropriate sanctions on these type of failures, then they will just continue

Professional and excellent referees will continue to be abused
And unprofessional and negligent referees will continue to drag down the best

Mourinho should be banned
Attwell should have been sacked.

Neither will be or have been and so the circus continues.
Top post, you wrote was I was thinking much better 👍

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Quick reminder that our own manager saw a red card during a game that was so badly refereed that we got an official apology. What would have happened if RDZ had found himself face to face with Attwell straight after the game or if Attwell had to go home on public transport via Seven Sisters tube? There were people sending him death threats on the Sunday.

We're far too quick to delve into black and white when it comes to refereeing IMO. Of course Maureen's reaction is wrong and the actions of the Roma fans is appalling. That should 100% be dealt with by long bans for both. But let's not put ourselves in a position where refs are not allowed to be criticised. Attwell's performance, and that of his VAR, were the equivalent of a player scoring a hat trick of own goals and spending all game jogging and walking instead of sprinting. It's going to get noticed.
That’s all in your opinion. I might or might not have the same opinion. The point is that football messageboards all over the country are full of completely opposite opinions about the same incidents, so refs can’t win. Also, the club did not receive an apology about all of the things you and others are upset about so the fact of the apology does not mean what it thinks you mean. I see this as hypocrisy. Refs are crooks when they make decisions against us but not when it happens to others. Refs 100 % can be criticized but the accusations of corruption and the escalation by the likes of Mourinho are very black and white. Go this way and there will be no game left.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just one thing was it a take your kid to work day for Taylor 🤔 🤣
Secondly what are UEFA thinking of they have an army of private jets and should have never put Taylor in that position.

For all the Mourhino’s this and that and how terrible it all was Imagine Attwell trying to get the train home win all the Brighton fans after the Spurs away this season. You can guarantee some idiot would take it to levels that saw themselves and club punished.

Football is football it’s never going to be Rugby Wembley way this season shows football hasn’t really moved on that much idiots follow football clubs.
I’ve only seen actual blows being exchanged three times this season at Brighton games and all three were against United.

Coming out of OT away end there was a small bit of handbags, noticed it because the OB came in to pull someone out and nearly went straight though my son. Then there was a fair bit of action after the semi. And, after we beat them at home, two entitled Manc idiots kicked off in the Brighton train queue and were eventually turfed out of it.

I don’t think they like being outplayed by #teamslikebrighton

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That’s all in your opinion. I might or might not have the same opinion. The point is that football messageboards all over the country are full of completely opposite opinions about the same incidents, so refs can’t win. Also, the club did not receive an apology about all of the things you and others are upset about so the fact of the apology does not mean what it thinks you mean. I see this as hypocrisy. Refs are crooks when they make decisions against us but not when it happens to others. Refs 100 % can be criticized but the accusations of corruption and the escalation by the likes of Mourinho are very black and white. Go this way and there will be no game left.
His performance was analysed to death and most pundits agree he got way more wrong than was apologised for.

Funny how a teacher in Liverpool thinks they know more than ex pros who watch five or so games a week. Especially with many calling for ex pros to become refs.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
His performance was analysed to death and most pundits agree he got way more wrong than was apologised for.

Funny how a teacher in Liverpool thinks they know more than ex pros who watch five or so games a week. Especially with many calling for ex pros to become refs.
I don’t think I know more. But are you now suggesting that ex pros get it right more than other groups ? I watch ex pro pundits on tv all the time and think they talk crap most of the time. I certainly wouldn’t form a view on an incident then think to myself, well no actually, Martin Keown or Alan Shearer thinks differently so I must be wrong. My job and where I live are not really relevant to my opinion.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Well done for not understanding the laws of the game at all or being able to back up an assertion with a name and facts. This is the equivalent of “my mate down the pub once told me” or “I read on Facebook”.

As for exporting trouble, sadly the black, hooded Ultra culture is creeping in over here. Luckily not quite yet at the stage where 50 of them try and attack players wives and are seen off by two fat blokes, and the two main clubs adopting it are vying for the Worst Fans in London title, but still….
There isn't another country in the world who has exported trouble to the extent of England has and in particular fans of the England national team.If you think different then you know jack.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There isn't another country in the world who has exported trouble to the extent of England has and in particular fans of the England national team.If you think different then you know jack.
The footage I saw was of Italian fans trying to attack a referee in an airport and the Roma manager ranting like a looney in a car park. What has this got to do with English football supporters ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That was some time ago…..

The reputation remains, but it is just reputation…..

Roma and Seville during the game were both a disgrace, Mourinho should be banned, and as for the Roma supporters attacking Taylor, absolutely shameful.

I certainly don’t recall English football fans attacking a ref and his family at the airport……. a new low IMO.

However, Fiorentina vs West Ham could easily erupt next week, especially if Firenze come for a punch up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Roma and Seville during the game were both a disgrace, Mourinho should be banned, and as for the Roma supporters attacking Taylor, absolutely shameful.

I certainly don’t recall English football fans attacking a ref and his family at the airport……. a new low IMO.

However, Fiorentina vs West Ham could easily erupt next week, especially if Firenze come for a punch up.
Will they be coming for a punch up with the players’ wives or the referee’s wife and daughter ?

Carbonara

May 24, 2023

Urs Meier.Anders Frisk.Kim Milton Nielsen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Urs Meier.Anders Frisk.Kim Milton Nielsen.
Feel free to describe each incident in detail. Should be no problem at all - unless you’re just trolling by repeating names put forward by others on this thread.

I suspect you’ll google it so how about you’re nice and quick?

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Feel free to describe each incident in detail. Should be no problem at all - unless you’re just trolling by repeating names put forward by others on this thread.

I suspect you’ll google it so how about you’re nice and quick?
You are an All Powerful Mod.I don't want to f with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here