[Football] Europa League final: Sevilla v Roma

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Appalling behaviour from Mourinho and the Roma bench through the whole game, one of the worse games of football I have ever seen. Risibly bad. More fool me for sticking with it 'til the end.
They have the record in Serie A for most cards received by the bench during the season, you can see why :lolol:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's quite rare that I praise a referee but Anthony Taylor did an absolutely excellent job in what must have been an utterly thankless task dealing with that petulant group of prima donnas.

If that's the best the EL has to offer maybe we should approach the tournament with a little more optimism than I had previously thought.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Was it just me or did VAR work better last night? Quick message on bottom left of screen to show check was happening, and then a very quick turnaround.

Gotta hand it to Anthony Taylor, as it must have been the most unpleasant and torturous of games to referee, and he did it well without losing his cool.
So Attwell does know the rules of the game apart from when we play Spuds.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
That was a really poor game last night but I'm not sure we'd have been more successful against Roma than Sevilla were. Roma were just pure ugly Mourinho. Making a meal of everything, playing for set pieces and doing everything possible and not possible to prevent a game of football breaking out.

Like a Sean Dyche team on a much grander scale.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jose has a lot to answer for… Anthony Taylor with his family trying to get a flight home earlier

Shocking. The Italian Disease. Imagine if in 2023 English supporters tried to attack a UEFA ref.

Mourinho deliberately raised the temperature. He’s not a “character”, he’s a c@nt.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Jose has a lot to answer for… Anthony Taylor with his family trying to get a flight home earlier

I think they'd have done the same even without Jose, it's not like fans don't complain about refs even when coaches stay silent. They're adult men, they act on their own accord. And Roma fans are usually very vocal, some of them too "passionate" for their own (and others') good. Plus they don't get to European finals very often. Everyone over here is obviously condemning those actions, aside from some rare Roman idiots.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
What is slightly unsettling now we're in the Europa League is UEFA's increasingly poor organisation of potentially hostile situations. In the past two years we've seen it at Wembley in the Euros, Champions League final with Liverpool in Paris, AZ fans the other week with West Ham and now last night, with Sevilla fans getting onto the pitch (when does that ever happen in a major tournament final? I can't remember having witnessed it) and now Taylor having next to no protection getting to his plane. It's like they don't have contingency planning for potential scenarios that could arise.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Shocking. The Italian Disease. Imagine if in 2023 English supporters tried to attack a UEFA ref.

Mourinho deliberately raised the temperature. He’s not a “character”, he’s a c@nt.
That's an excellent point - there'd be pandemonium in the national and international press if this were English fans.

Why aren't those people arrested? If I luzzed a chair at someone in the middle of the street in Budapest I'd be arrested for it, so why not here?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's an excellent point - there'd be pandemonium in the national and international press if this were English fans.

Why aren't those people arrested? If I luzzed a chair at someone in the middle of the street in Budapest I'd be arrested for it, so why not here?

There’s a good photo of the fat fucker trying to manhandle AT, I think he receives a punch for his troubles.

English clubs would be on a mission to identify him, then a colossal ban.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
What is slightly unsettling now we're in the Europa League is UEFA's increasingly poor organisation of potentially hostile situations. In the past two years we've seen it at Wembley in the Euros, Champions League final with Liverpool in Paris, AZ fans the other week with West Ham and now last night, with Sevilla fans getting onto the pitch (when does that ever happen in a major tournament final? I can't remember having witnessed it) and now Taylor having next to no protection getting to his plane. It's like they don't have contingency planning for potential scenarios that could arise.
I could reassure you of your safety if you met us because our club has been following the "English model" and has been super strict towards ultras and with objects allowed in and safety/surveillance measures, but alas we probably won't play in the Europa League (or in Europe at all, if UEFA have their say.)

But yeah most other clubs don't have as boring an atmosphere as the Juventus stadium currently has, and they might (rarely) present more risks.

The good thing is you don't have a history in Europe yet, and so you don't have rivalries of any kind. Most matches go along well regardless for normal fans, the AZ incident was very unusual; if for some reason ultras start to fight they normally do it outside with other ultras, not inside the stadium with normal fans like us.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think they'd have done the same even without Jose, it's not like fans don't complain about refs even when coaches stay silent. They're adult men, they act on their own accord. And Roma fans are usually very vocal, some of them too "passionate" for their own (and others') good. Plus they don't get to European finals very often. Everyone over here is obviously condemning those actions, aside from some rare Roman idiots.
Rotterdam, 1993, Netherlands 2-0 England - total wrong'un of a German referee in Karl-Josef Assenmacher, should have sent off Koeman and was hated here - he didn't get stick like that though. Bang out of order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports