[Finance] EuroMillions £105m won by Sussex couple

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How about invest in Govt. Bonds etc helping the UK economy rather than moving it offshore in a tax avoidance scheme?

Isn’t the product [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] describes, legit? The interest would be fully declared and taxed in his UK tax return. The choice of offshore purely because he’d get a better rate of interest, than the paltry money market rates in the UK just now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Isn’t the product [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] describes, legit? The interest would be fully declared and taxed in his UK tax return. The choice of offshore purely because he’d get a better rate of interest, than the paltry money market rates in the UK just now.

Legal, yes. Would it help the UK economy, and others in need of the cash...as per Jezza's manifesto (ie. taxing the big boys hard)? I think not.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I'd buy The Albion an expensive striker (Joelinton, Almiron type) then fund a slide from East Upper to the coach park.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Simply clarifying if we were all 'billionaires' whether our desire to pay high taxes to help those in need would remain the same.

I wasn’t being serious, just joking about NSC and its ever pervasive party politics. The Ashley Barnes thread is possibly the last place without a politics mention.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Buy a few properties to rent out, potentially to friends and people I know in need at reduced rents. Else design and build a 4 or 5 level apartment block for that.

Take a bunch of my friends for a couple week vacation and then same (but seperately) family.

Build a venue for my business and enjoy working there part time but with expanded staff.

Coke and hookers to a point but with a yearly budget as I have a wild side but in a very boring way.

Probably buy Hastings Football Club and try to take lots of Albion youth on loans as a set policy. Not try and finance them way up the leagues just one or two tiers higher as they are lower than should be and with an Albion tie in would get a few more fans in I'd hope.

Not much directly to charities but try to use the above to do good in local community and contribute money for that through schemes or events.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
“The couple will be named in the morning” ARE THEY ****ING INSANE???

This. Never understood anyone going public with this sort of thing.
I believe it's the pay-off for Camelot's assistance with the money.

We can all say we'd do this that and t'other with the money, but none of us have a clue as to what we should do.
Never mind the day to day logistics of dealing with the cash, let alone other people good and bad or taxation etc.

I'd imagine there's a large amount of piece of mind that comes with spaffing away millions knowing you have experts at dealing with that, in the background.

I won £2.70 in that draw and nearly didn't go into work the next day.
I think I'd need all the help I can get, so if that meant some publicity, when anonymity was impossible, c'est la vie.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
For purely selfish reasons I'd like to help people in desperate need directly rather than necessarily via a charity so I could see and witness the benefits of my "benefaction" first hand. So I'd target people directly but I would still want to retain my anonymity so they wouldn't know it was me helping them, a bit like the secret millionaire or the lone ranger. My reasons for preserving my anonymity would be entirely selfish too as I don't think I could bear their eternal fawning gratitude.

They would also have to pass a strict no dickheads test before I parted with any money. I'd also like to travel to third world countries particularly those that have been hit by catastrophe and use my resources to set up schemes to help whole communities as well as individuals but taking a hands on approach and getting actively involved rather than just throwing money at the problem. Wealth doesn't just give you resources to help people financially it also gives you the freedom of time through not having to work to be able to also devote your time and offer practicle help.

As well as charitable actions I think it would also be great to get rid of some of the worlds vermin to make the world a better and safer place. So it would be great to be able to set up some sort of secret international assasination bureau. For that there would also be a dickheads policy but it would work in reverse to the no dickheads policy of my charitable work and be an only dickheads policy.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For purely selfish reasons I'd like to help people in desperate need directly rather than necessarily via a charity so I could see and witness the benefits of my "benefaction" first hand. So I'd target people directly but I would still want to retain my anonymity so they wouldn't know it was me helping them, a bit like the secret millionaire or the lone ranger. My reasons for preserving my anonymity would be entirely selfish too as I don't think I could bear their eternal fawning gratitude.

They would also have to pass a strict no dickheads test before I parted with any money. I'd also like to travel to third world countries particularly those that have been hit by catastrophe and use my resources to set up schemes to help whole communities as well as individuals but taking a hands on approach and getting actively involved rather than just throwing money at the problem. Wealth doesn't just give you resources to help people financially it also gives you the freedom of time through not having to work to be able to also devote your time and offer practicle help.

As well as charitable actions I think it would also be great to get rid of some of the worlds vermin to make the world a better and safer place. So it would be great to be able to set up some sort of secret international assasination bureau. For that there would also be a dickheads policy but it would work in reverse to the no dickheads policy of my charitable work and be an only dickheads policy.
So you plan to save the world with only £106m???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports