Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] EuroMillions £105m won by Sussex couple

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How much of £171m would you ultimately keep in the family?

For me, shirley £5m or £10m invested sets several generations fair.

Then huge charitable donations / helping those in real need.

I’ve never heard of mega lottery winners in the UK doing anything like that. I could be wrong. I wonder if an instinct to keep it largely in the family and friends kicks in?

I think most do not advertise their new massive wealth or anything that they do with it. People try and find ways to separate you from it. I know the guy in Selsey that won the jackpot this thread was started about went public, I know he was a builder and finished up all the jobs he was working on at the time and didn't invoice his customers, so they all had a touch. I have no idea what he is doing currently, but the first thing he bought was a new van. It takes a while I imagine to start seeing the possibilities, and step into a new world of things that you could never have done before.
I would be very selective and anonymous with charities, I get hounded as it is by every charity that I have ever gifted to that has my details.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Firstly I'd looking to buy a £3.5m house in hurstpierpoint. I'd imagine buying several properties for family members and then never having to work ever again

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Luckily if I had won I have a global structure in place already with Olympic athletes to help use those vast sums to help fundraise on the back of that sum.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I’ve never heard of mega lottery winners in the UK doing anything like that. I could be wrong. I wonder if an instinct to keep it largely in the family and friends kicks in?

There was a couple in Sheffield who won £7million on the Lottery. They paid for equipment at the baby unit at Sheffield children’s hospital, took a whole school to the Christmas Ice show etc etc.
They kept £1million for themselves and family.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/we-w...ars-on-from-their-ps76million-windfall-150444

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think most do not advertise their new massive wealth or anything that they do with it. People try and find ways to separate you from it. I know the guy in Selsey that won the jackpot this thread was started about went public, I know he was a builder and finished up all the jobs he was working on at the time and didn't invoice his customers, so they all had a touch. I have no idea what he is doing currently, but the first thing he bought was a new van. It takes a while I imagine to start seeing the possibilities, and step into a new world of things that you could never have done before.
I would be very selective and anonymous with charities, I get hounded as it is by every charity that I have ever gifted to that has my details.

I would hugely up the donations to charities I already support, and it would be nice to have a war-chest to immediately help out calls for help such as Somalians in their famine.

I’d always tick the anonymity box.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He didn't win his money, he earned it.
What has that got to do with being happy with huge wealth or unhappy with huge wealth? I’d rather be unhappy with a shit load of cash to do whatever I wanted than unhappy and broke. Just my opinion like.
On the reply considering one of TB’s businesses he does win some of his money not that it’s relevant.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He didn't win his money, he earned it.

He works at it, but if you get paid on the turn of a card, you won it. Bit like Man City winning trophies, they both win them, and earn them. The difference is, when I earn money, someone else has had my labour, when Tony earns money, someone else has lost it, at least some of his income anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He works at it, but if you get paid on the turn of a card, you won it. Bit like Man City winning trophies, they both win them, and earn them. The difference is, when I earn money, someone else has had my labour, when Tony earns money, someone else has lost it, at least some of his income anyway.

Tony inherited money from his family. Yes, he started a gambling company, but any winnings went into property investments all over the world, and sold that company to invest in another.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I would imagine a lot of lottery winners don't want the publicity as it brings unwanted attention so even the good deeds they do for charity largely go unnoticed unfortunately.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I gave away my millions……

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Tony inherited money from his family. Yes, he started a gambling company, but any winnings went into property investments all over the world, and sold that company to invest in another.

Yes, which is why I added at least part of his income at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here