Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro commenators so far...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The last season or so I've taken to listening to podcasts or music while watching football most of the time. I find I get too annoyed with their flagrant ignorance of the laws of the game, their personal agendas (typically for video replays, even when the incident doesn't support it), or just a lack of logic (particularly annoying in this category is the complaint that the goal line assistants aren't doing anything, because they don't wave flags, they just talk to the ref via mics).

I'm currently listening to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izgc7IhcGG4

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3IfWQhgfIQ

On repeat since the start of the second half of spain v italy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Peter Drury is the single most annoying commentator on TV, within 30 seconds of the Ireland match coverage I had an overwhelming urge to punch him in the face repeatedly.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I love the way Mark Bright instantly forms an opinion then sees the replay and tries to maintain his (wrong) view despite all of the evidence against him.

I also enjoy the way he blames players for misses whilst completely ignoring the efforts of the defence and the goalkeeper.

Gary Neville has been one of the few co-commentators I've heard recently who gives a really great insight into what the players should be doing, who's doing their job and who isn't. I've actually learned more from him in a season than Andy Gray in 10 years.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think the co-commentary role is a very difficult one to come out of with a shining light as you WANT to talk enough to be noticed but not TOO much as to be 'over doing it'

For me, Martin Keown has the perfect balance of all of them thus far.

He talks sense and he compliments the main commentator which is the whole point.

Mark Bright is just patronising. The others don't both me in any way to get angry.

Whenever i hear Danny Mills on 5live I think he summarises very well so I can see him getting onto the BBC team in the near future.

I also want Ian Wright back after listening to him on Danny Baker the other day. PASSION.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I find Clive Tydlesley unbearable, which is a shame as he was an excellent regional commentator in the early 1990s before he descended into his how-many-cliches-can-I-fit-into-a-sentence banality.

And his arse-licking devotion to Manure.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I found that for large parts of the game yesterday (both matches) that the commentators sat in total silence, occasionally mustering the will to name the player who had the ball. It really was piss poor. Having said that, perhaps with the "talent" on offer it is best for them to be sat in silence :shrug:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
the ITV commentators are awful. Lawro tries to hard to be clever but sometimes makes me laugh. Is it me or has Roy Keane still got mad eyes?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Peter Drury is the single most annoying commentator on TV, within 30 seconds of the Ireland match coverage I had an overwhelming urge to punch him in the face repeatedly.

Absolutely this. He's so f***ing fake. Put Mark Bright next to him and you would have instant ear AIDS.

I think Keown is fine, Lawrenson knows his stuff but doesn't do his job enough, preferring to sneer and make shit puns. In the studio the BBC have got it spot on, and the ITV panel last night were good but Chiles and the ITV producers are fucknuts.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I cannot believe Waddle has not been included in this list, the blokes a complete prat. His voice is the MOST annoying of the lot of them.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005

Correct, though I did snigger a little at his comment of "The Irish clean sheet is now stained". Stained or should that be soiled?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Mark Bright is by far the worst of a bad bunch. He's just a contrary twat and always says the player should have done the opposite to what he has done. If a player crosses the ball in low he'll say it should have gone in high, if it goes in high he'll say it should have gone in low. And on and on all sodding game – even if (and I think someone mentioned it above) replays show him to be wrong 9 times out of 10. Co-commentators generally seem unable to offer any insight into the game other than what is obvious to the viewer. Just utterly pointless and infuriating. David Pleat might have been useless with names, but at least he had some tactical knowledge.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lee Dixon seems very likeable, but I'm not convinced he actually adds a lot of value. Best pundits about, in my opinion, are Gary Neville and Stuart Robson.

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
We all know ITV is the worst of the bunch. It would've been interesting to hear what Martinez had to say about Spain not playing with a striker and Italy a new system as I think he speaks sense and really knows his stuff. You could see Chiles trying to butt in and cut him off, and sadly he did TWICE. The first time to talk about the balloon seller in the square, the second to look and listen to the band. Oh and that guy on stilts. Thanks for that!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Childs is a moron, fine on MOTD2 but actual live games, the blokes a THICKO. the best thing about ITV coverage is Roy Keanes Death stairs towards Childs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As a rule,
- the studio punditry is better than the commentary
- ITV are far worse than the BBC

Gary Neville is top notch, but I'm pleased he's with the squad as opposed to commenting on the games. And I've already had enough of fat numpty Adrian Chile's "everyman" routine and his inane comments on the irrelevant. Mark Bright usually grates but credit where it's due, he simply hasn't annoyed me that much yet. And finally, I'd agree that Lee Dixon is superb and I really hope this is a last hurrah for the BBC golfing chum brigade as I'm sick of the lot of them.

Harry Redknapp should be good value today when offering his analysis on Roy Hodgson's job as England manager. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here