Euro commenators so far...

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Mark Bright - clueless
Martin Keown - not much better
Mark Lawrenson - annoyingly sardonic
Jim Beglin - best of the bunch
Jonathan Pearce - scaled back from his days of hysteria - but still over-excited
Guy Mowbray - excellent
Peter Drury - good enough

Can't remember the other one

Still to come - Clive Tyldesley

Not enough ex-Albion centre backs in the line up

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Norman Gall, perhaps?

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Extended to studio guests

Was impressed with Martinez and Redknapp

Agreed thought Redknapp was refreshingly honest last night - would have loved Seedorf to be as honest with his comments about the Dutch - Hansen is just a drone for me

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Fair assessment. Although Lawro is much better on the radio where he opens up and has made me lol in the past, he seems to have a wicked sense of humour. For me the radio commentary is much better all around.
Pearce is bearable now, as you say.
Mowbray is outstanding.
I do like Dixon on the radio but have not heard him so far at the Euro's
Oh and thank goodness we are not subjected to the drivel machine Alan Smith.

Generally the TV commentary is pretty good on both channels albeit saved by Beglin on ITV.

Is it just me who finds Shearer unbearable?

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I find Clive Tydlesley unbearable, which is a shame as he was an excellent regional commentator in the early 1990s before he descended into his how-many-cliches-can-I-fit-into-a-sentence banality.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I like Guy Mowbray, probably the best of them in my view. Totally agree that a lot are utter crap these days though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'd rather listen to an over-excited commentator than a dull commentator to be honest.

Agree with that to a degree, however, sometimes I wish the commentator would just shut up, they jabber on about cap, when I would prefer to watch (short) runs of play where all you can hear is the crowd and the action on the pitch, sometimes you just don't have to say anything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mark Bright - clueless
Martin Keown - not much better
Mark Lawrenson - annoyingly sardonic
Jim Beglin - best of the bunch
Jonathan Pearce - scaled back from his days of hysteria - but still over-excited
Guy Mowbray - excellent
Peter Drury - good enough

Can't remember the other one

Still to come - Clive Tyldesley

Not enough ex-Albion centre backs in the line up

Mark Bright - Agreed & like Robbie Earle, hard to take seriously when he was no where near the level of a true interntional or CL player.

Martin Keown - I like him. Very honest e.g. destroys Arsenal tactics or purchases after yet another defeat. Passionate Englishman in the mould of Butcher.

Mark Lawrenson - I want to like his work, but increasingly dull & sarcastic.

Jim Beglin - OK.

Jonathan Pearce - Seems like a nice bloke, but hard to take seriously after the trying to hard & false "gooooooooaaaaaal, Bristol City" era. Still amateurish.

Clive Tyldesley - screaming and biased tw*t. Doesn't commentate on the game, but what he wants to happen. In CL games if an English team is getting battered, he refuses to accept it, and keeps churning out crap like "and we all remember what Sheringham & Solskjaer did 13 years ago". zzzzzzzzz Often gently put straight by the ex-player sitting beside him, who reads the game in front of them objectively.

Best of the bunch - the still amazing Martin Tyler. Shame Sky don't do tournaments.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I wish there was one football channel that had no commentators at all.
Anyone remember the Peterborough vs Sunderland game in the cup last season where the commentary disappeared for 10 minutes or so? So refreshing to just hear the supporters.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Three words. Get Aspinall in!!

Can you imagine carnage that would be forthcoming with all foreign types playing. He can't even say Gordon Greer so imagine what he'd do to Yevhen Konoplyanka or Yevhen Seleznyov!!

Fat Ron Atkinson - who would save time by not learning the names of non-caucasian players, by just referring to their skin colour.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wish there was one football channel that had no commentators at all.
Anyone remember the Peterborough vs Sunderland game in the cup last season where the commentary disappeared for 10 minutes or so? So refreshing to just hear the supporters.

Radio commentators like Peter Jones & Bryan Butler (RIP) were, and Allan Green & Mike Ingham are worth listening to, whilst having games on the box with no sound.
All far far better than the BBC/ITV TV cowboys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here