Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] EURO 2022 Official Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nothing worse than the stench of people enjoying themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bloody song has long been done to death to be fair….was at the T20 finals thing on Saturday, dunno how many times it was blasted out but it was a lot.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Was good to see the stewards dealing rapidly and efficiently with the spanner trying to glue himself to the post.

That's one at each end in recent times now isn't it at our patch?

df1.jpeg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Assuming this was the one where she was back-peddling and stopped it from looping into the far corner? An excellent save.

What was even better than the save was Millie Bright reading the likely outcome to perfection and being in the ideal position to smash the loose ball into the East Stand with a Spain forward breathing down her neck. Great bit of centre half covering play under pressure. Stopped a certain tap in at the far post.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH WOMENS FOOTBALL"

7.6m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62251265

To be fair, 10 million people watched GB win the 2016 Olympic Women's Hockey Final on TV.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/18/team-gb-womens-hockey-team-bounce-back-lows-after-rio-gold-tokyo-olympics

The key words here are 'on TV'. There's little doubt that people are willing to watch women's sport in major tournaments on TV.

And there's clearly an appetite for watching the Lionesses live in a home Euros.

As ever, the true test will be the effect on attendances week-in, week-out for domestic matches.

Despite England's success in reaching the SF in the last 4 World Cups and Euros since 2015, the jury's still very much out here.

Let's hope they both win the Euros - I think they will - and there's a significant increase through the turnstiles as a result.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair, 10 million people watched GB win the 2016 Olympic Women's Hockey Final on TV.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/18/team-gb-womens-hockey-team-bounce-back-lows-after-rio-gold-tokyo-olympics

The key words here are 'on TV'. There's little doubt that people are willing to watch women's sport in major tournaments on TV.

And there's clearly an appetite for watching the Lionesses live in a home Euros.

As ever, the true test will be the effect on attendances week-in, week-out for domestic matches.

Despite England's success in reaching the SF in the last 4 World Cups and Euros since 2015, the jury's still very much out here.

Let's hope they both win the Euros - I think they will - and there's a significant increase through the turnstiles as a result.

I think the key bit I want from this is the continued phenomenal increase in girls playing football. The 'novelty' has well and truly gone.

I was at Primary School until 1998. There was ONE girl in our year group who played football. ONE.
There may well have been many more who WANTED to play but only one actually played.

Now, on a Saturday, when I take my 4 year old to ballet class (I didn't enforce the stereotype!), there is the locals girls team training next to the building. Several age groups ranging from a bout 6 years old I'd guess and probably 60+ girls in total. My daughter has now asked if she can play. It may well last all of 5 minutes but it filled me with joy to hear that.

The growth in popularity, in a short space of time is simply phenomenal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

There is no doubt a bit of difficulty to make hype and success during big tournaments translate into the domestic leagues.

Sweden has been fairly successful in women's football, 12 finals (though just one title), and also had the best league in the world until some 10 years ago. After each successful and hyped tournament, there was a hope/belief that the attendance numbers in the league would increase and while they sometimes did very temporarily, there has been very little growth in that regard over the last 10-15 years.

Won't necessarily be the same in England, obviously.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I think the key bit I want from this is the continued phenomenal increase in girls playing football. The 'novelty' has well and truly gone.

I was at Primary School until 1998. There was ONE girl in our year group who played football. ONE.
There may well have been many more who WANTED to play but only one actually played.

Now, on a Saturday, when I take my 4 year old to ballet class (I didn't enforce the stereotype!), there is the locals girls team training next to the building. Several age groups ranging from a bout 6 years old I'd guess and probably 60+ girls in total. My daughter has now asked if she can play. It may well last all of 5 minutes but it filled me with joy to hear that.

The growth in popularity, in a short space of time is simply phenomenal.

Yes, that's fair comment. There's really 2 aspects here - encouraging girls participation and a desire to increase attendances.

Anything that encourages girls to play the beautiful game should be supported. And part of that is being inspired by watching players.

The 'if you can't see it, you can't be it' adage rings true, so it's good that there's wide coverage on terrestrial TV of women's sport.

I'm genuinely delighted that your daughter has shown interest here. And long may that last!

I think the point still stands on domestic attendances though.

If the FA and clubs can get that addressed, the future will be secure. But at the risk of sounding unduly sceptical, let's see.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
There is no doubt a bit of difficulty to make hype and success during big tournaments translate into the domestic leagues.

Sweden has been fairly successful in women's football, 12 finals (though just one title), and also had the best league in the world until some 10 years ago. After each successful and hyped tournament, there was a hope/belief that the attendance numbers in the league would increase and while they sometimes did very temporarily, there has been very little growth in that regard over the last 10-15 years.

Won't necessarily be the same in England, obviously.

Interesting stuff, Swanny.

I'm sure there's a whole host of factors (visible, invisible, historical, sociological, cultural, experiential based on attending men's games, etc.) that have and continue to discourage women and girls from attending football matches, regardless of country.

Perhaps if we could address those honestly, the numbers would rise.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very pleased that England made it through against a technically strong Spanish outfit.

The less said about the 1st half, the better. But they grew into the game and showed a lot of heart to turn it around.

Credit to Wiegman for making the subs early enough and taking off a record goalscorer to change the game.

One can only hope Southgate was watching.
I see the Fiver in the Guardian described the Spanish manager, Jorge Vilda, as the 'Spanish Southgate'. I thought that was an excellent comparison. Spain last night were like England against Italy (Euros) and Croatia (WC) - early dominance nullified and eventually eclipsed because the person in the other dugout was simply a better game manager. Just glad the boot was on the other foot for once. (I wonder if Wiegman would fancy managing the men's team?)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I know Alex Scott gets a lot of stick for being all over the telly so much (hardly her fault if she is offered the work, tbf), but that piece by Lucy Bronze revealed a real bit of class from Alex Scott who tipped her off in pre-match training that she'd be taking her (Scott's) place in the WC starting line-up by saying, "Lucy - why don't you shoot more..."

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
I've been lucky enough to watch all of the Amex matches, my daughter being mascot at Norway - Austria. My daugher plays football and I can tell this has massively inspired her along with her friends who have also attended.
The desire, passion and integration with the fans displayed has been amazing. It is so refreshing having watched the passionless mens team for many years.
My wife who said she'd never watch a Brighton game is now well into it to and now wants to watch the Albion!
The girls really look up to these players and it's lovely to see how into it the crowd are.
If anyone has final tickets that can't go I'd happily buy them off you.
Only negative last night was the cheese burger I ordered contained just cheese in a roll and the replacement I received was the same! :lol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve enjoyed it more than I thought I would

But given the height of the keepers, wouldn’t it make sense to make the goals slightly smaller?

They discussed this on TS early evening..not just height but also shorter arms..and came to the conclusion that it’s the same for everyone..so no leave them alone

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They discussed this on TS early evening..not just height but also shorter arms..and came to the conclusion that it’s the same for everyone..so no leave them alone

Fair point, but you wouldn’t put kids in full size goals because they are both doing it

The German keeper almost got lobbed standing on her line

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’ve enjoyed it more than I thought I would

But given the height of the keepers, wouldn’t it make sense to make the goals slightly smaller?

The height of the keepers in womens football is broadly similar to the height of the average man when pitch and goal dimensions were first established 150 odd years ago. There weren’t many 6 foot 5 inch blokes playing in goal back then. So if anything, the goals for mens football should be made bigger.

My own view is just keep the dimensions exactly as they are and the same for both genders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here