Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] EURO 2022 Official Thread

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Very much enjoyed my first live experience of Women's Football (albeit I liked the advertising which said "Women play Football, not Women's Football").

Spain were technically far better than England - their no 6 (Bonmati) was the standout player last night - so confident bringing the ball forward, very intelligent, and an exceptionally good passer. However, once England actually discovered our self-belief things clicked, and our greater power/strength saw us through. Although that power/strength thing is great, I hope we can progress the technical side in the next few years.

Only downside for me was a bit of booing when the players took the knee. I'd never heard booing like that at the Amex before - I assume it was because it's England and our national team obviously attracts a few idiots :-(

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Post match thoughts.
Firstly, in the build up as the flags waved and the teams came out I was in floods of tears. This is my home, my sacred home, and it is full for a match of such importance. A very very proud moment.
Drum. It worked. Only played 3 tunes but as soon as it started the entire stadium erupted. Please though, not for us.
Goal music. As above.
Build up. Obviously they know what they're doing and play all the right music. Thumping hand clapping music and the countdown gets everyone on their feet.
P&R. Race course. Left the ground about 10:55. Still in the queue at 12:05 with buses leaving with seats still available. Not sure if it was the usual company organising it.
West lower. Seats still have a ful 2 inch plus gap. Unlike my East Upper which have been crammed together, last night I had lots of room. May move my seat.
Noise levels high but nothing will beat that Rugby World Cup or Man City post lockdown.
Lots of drinking on the terrace. May have been the alchohol free stuff, how did they know. But half of it was on the floor drenching all around who sat in puddles.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Very much enjoyed my first live experience of Women's Football (albeit I liked the advertising which said "Women play Football, not Women's Football").

Spain were technically far better than England - their no 6 (Bonmati) was the standout player last night - so confident bringing the ball forward, very intelligent, and an exceptionally good passer. However, once England actually discovered our self-belief things clicked, and our greater power/strength saw us through. Although that power/strength thing is great, I hope we can progress the technical side in the next few years.

Only downside for me was a bit of booing when the players took the knee. I'd never heard booing like that at the Amex before - I assume it was because it's England and our national team obviously attracts a few idiots :-(

Might the crowd have been booing the Spanish players who didn't take the knee perhaps? I would like to think that was the case anyway. Spain tried to kick-off whilst the England players were taking the knee. Another potential reason for the booing.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Might the crowd have been booing the Spanish players who didn't take the knee perhaps? I would like to think that was the case anyway. Spain tried to kick-off whilst the England players were taking the knee. Another potential reason for the booing.

Yeh, that was blatantly not a "i'm going to boo an anti racist message" sort of crowd

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
P&R. Race course. Left the ground about 10:55. Still in the queue at 12:05 with buses leaving with seats still available. Not sure if it was the usual company organising it.

Blame the inconsiderate folk that parked in the laybys along Falmer Road, the buses could not pass them safely as they were stuck out in the road, as a result the buses took the long way around down past the universities along Lewes Road and up Elm Grove, thus the turn around was so much longer.

There warnings last time England played on the previous Monday, when the buses struggled to get past.
I am not sure who owns the laybys or what powers can be exercised but I can seem turning into 1-2 hour payper parking soon to stop this happening again. Yet again the few spoil it for the many.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I think all the Spanish took the knee, but were up rather rapid, as in lets get this underway. I think the Ref kinda gave them the nod to kick off and they did, but then that silly countdown began and people were booing that the Spanish kicked off before that, it was all so quick, I am highly confident the booing considering the crowd was not racist at all.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Blame the inconsiderate folk that parked in the laybys along Falmer Road, the buses could not pass them safely as they were stuck out in the road, as a result the buses took the long way around down past the universities along Lewes Road and up Elm Grove, thus the turn around was so much longer.

There warnings last time England played on the previous Monday, when the buses struggled to get past.
I am not sure who owns the laybys or what powers can be exercised but I can seem turning into 1-2 hour payper parking soon to stop this happening again. Yet again the few spoil it for the many.

Pre match we were told there was an accident in Woodingdean and buses had to go via Lewes Road. I'd come through that route minutes earlier and was fine. Both team coaches went through just as I passed the marina turning. Guess they all stayed down there. The detour obviously held them us due to that off ramp from the A27. I've always said put a copper at the top and make the left lane a bus lane.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Are you serious? You most definitely don't get the far-right idiots at England women's games, particularly not in Brighton!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Yes - you could be right. The kick-off was bizarre! It wasn't loads of people booing anyway, but I was very surprised to hear it....hopefully your explanation is the right one!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think all the Spanish took the knee, but were up rather rapid, as in lets get this underway. I think the Ref kinda gave them the nod to kick off and they did, but then that silly countdown began and people were booing that the Spanish kicked off before that, it was all so quick, I am highly confident the booing considering the crowd was not racist at all.

That's exactly how I saw it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Pre match we were told there was an accident in Woodingdean and buses had to go via Lewes Road. I'd come through that route minutes earlier and was fine. Both team coaches went through just as I passed the marina turning. Guess they all stayed down there. The detour obviously held them us due to that off ramp from the A27. I've always said put a copper at the top and make the left lane a bus lane.

Ah, I thought I saw the road blocked and a police sign as we turned left instead of right at the stadium lights. I was stood up on the bus and heard the bus driver saying it was because of the parked cars, maybe the accident was caused by that, anyway got home from leaving the stadium in 30minutes so no moaning here.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
fantastic game, fantastic atmosphere (such a different vibe to mens football, much more positive)

only downside was it being a nightmare to get home on the train going westbound but to be expected really- but a shame with so many kids in attendance

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I got stuck for a bit going up The Drove to Woodingdean around 6.15 as there was a minor accident about half way up. The coppers were doing a ‘stop/go’ thing allowing traffic past it (including the two team buses that came down the hill). Walking back up after the game I’ve never seen as many cars parked along there- there are always a few on our normal matchdays, mostly in the two main laybys but also a few on the grass verge but completely off the road - for our normal home games the parking wardens are always out ticketing anyone not parked in one of the laybys but for some reason they didn’t bother last Monday or last night.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Left on final whistle after a quick clap, before 'Sweet Caroline' ruined it. 1st bus Mill Road P&R which got on to the A27 straight away.

Nothing worse than the stench of people enjoying themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here