Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My mistake and I happily stand corrected, however it still isn't a good look for AZ to continue to downgrade their supplies in this way

Thanks.

I hope we all want everyone (across the continent and beyond) to be vax'd as soon as possible.

These threads get hijacked with the usual ping-pong NSC battles.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thanks.

I hope we all want everyone (across the continent and beyond) to be vax'd as soon as possible.

These threads get hijacked with the usual ping-pong NSC battles.
Yep pointless arguing about Brexit. Like it or not it's happened. As a leaver I will not gloat or revel in the EU incompetence regarding the vaccinations. I have a lot of family in Germany and hope and wish all EU countries success in the future. The banning of the Oxford vaccine even temporarily may prove disastrous. I hope not.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Worth also noting buried in this is once again AstraZeneca reneging on it's contract to supply vaccines by lowering the amounts it's able to commit to.

Wrong.

100% Wrong.

The important thing is that EVERYONE is vaccinated ASAP - and what certain Countries in Europe are doing is (by avoiding the EMA and WHO advise) is putting lives at risk.

It will also - when the AZ Vaccine is 'reapproved' put millions of people off being vaccinated.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's political - don't take my word for it, take the director general of Italy’s medicines authority AIFA

ROME (Reuters) - The decision by Germany, France and Italy to suspend AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 shots after several countries reported possible serious side-effects is a “political one”, the director general of Italy’s medicines authority AIFA said on Tuesday.

“We got to the point of a suspension because several European countries, including Germany and France, preferred to interrupt vaccinations... to put them on hold in order to carry out checks. The choice is a political one,” Nicola Magrini told daily la Repubblica in an interview.

Magrini said that the AstraZeneca vaccine was safe and that the benefit to risk ratio of the jab is “widely positive”. There have been eight deaths and four cases of serious side-effects following vaccinations in Italy, he added.

Aifa will take two to three days to collect all required data and once “doubts are cleared we can carry on at a faster speed than before,” Magrini said.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there is an theory that a source of this is France having a massive sulk they didnt get a home grown vaccine out from two attempts. Pfizer is US/German so cant be attacked, Moderna is not ready for distribution, other also behind in production, so pick on the UK sourced vaccine. wouldn't expect public health to be driven by such pettiness but what other theories explain the focused attack on one vaccine? they even have the Russian sputnik vaccine in east europe without this fuss.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That's strange, countries in the EU using their sovereingty to make decisions on vaccines, hmm, thought you had to leave the EU to do that....

And how did we manage to order all these vaccines while we were still under EU rules?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
And how did we manage to order all these vaccines while we were still under EU rules?

Because we made our own decisions - rather than acting (as the rest of the EU did at the time) as part of a Bloc.

Thank goodness.

(Said as someone who would rather still be in the EU - but you have to stop defending the indefensible mistakes the EU has made, and continues to make)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Because we made our own decisions - rather than acting (as the rest of the EU did at the time) as part of a Bloc.

Thank goodness.

(Said as someone who would rather still be in the EU - but you have to stop defending the indefensible mistakes the EU has made, and continues to make)

Anyway its good that the valiant efforts of our NHS in delivering the vaccine rollout have been rewarded with a real terms pay cut.

Alas Johnson's life saving Covid treatment has disappeared long into the rear view mirror

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Anyway its good that the valiant efforts of our NHS in delivering the vaccine rollout have been rewarded with a real terms pay cut.

Alas Johnson's life saving Covid treatment has disappeared long into the rear view mirror

I absolutely agree, and there are plenty of threads to (rightly) bash Johnson the Govt. regarding Covid.

This thread is to highlight the complete shambles that the EU have made of the vaccine rollout.

Let's be honest here - if we had gone along with France, Germany, Italy etc. and acted as part of the EU Bloc when it came to the vaccine we'd be in far, far worse situation than we are now.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I absolutely agree, and there are plenty of threads to (rightly) bash Johnson the Govt. regarding Covid.

This thread is to highlight the complete shambles that the EU have made of the vaccine rollout.

Let's be honest here - if we had gone along with France, Germany, Italy etc. and acted as part of the EU Bloc when it came to the vaccine we'd be in far, far worse situation than we are now.

Spot on, sadly it seems that some folk on here loathe the UK so much that they are blind to the absolute pigs orphan that the EU is making of the vaccine roll out, very sad really.
I’m getting my jab Saturday morning and I cannot wait, back down the pub, back to the Amex...the future is bright [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

If the roll out had been a complete cluster**** I’d wager you’d be blaming the Government right?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

You could argue we could have joined with the EU in joint purchasing of PPE which wouldn't have led to us buying the wrong PPE from other sources and having shortages. Yes this thread is to do with EU and the vaccine rollout but it is taking one issue and applying it to the general debate about EU membership and use it as a stick for political point scoring

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
More bizarre than the EU suing the UK for breaking international law?

absolutely, UK breaking agreement and EU following up with legal action was expected and predicted all the way back in August. a nation suing a company for not delivering something they dont have formal delivery schedule and aren't using is bizzare.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You could argue we could have joined with the EU in joint purchasing of PPE which wouldn't have led to us buying the wrong PPE from other sources and having shortages. Yes this thread is to do with EU and the vaccine rollout but it is taking one issue and applying it to the general debate about EU membership and use it as a stick for political point scoring

Being of the joint PPE programme is of no benefit to government donors. Thank god we're out!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here