Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate Agents.....are they all low life scum?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Stuff it - let's use names ! Do not use Fox & Sons or Mishon Mackay if you actually want to sell !
Don't know about Fox, but Glenn Mishon was alright. He always seemed to run his agency with great professionalism, so bit surprised to hear that.

PBW23

Sep 11, 2012
I have no idea who you are Westdene Seagull, but thank you for the sound bite there. Feel free to tell my boss also...!

One of the biggest offenders in over valuing the property in my experience ! As you can walk away I'd dump them and go to Dean & Co in Hangleton. Ask for Ben, he's always worked hard when I've had properties to sell.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
D0 you work for for them? if not get lost!!!!!!!!!

Nice grown up reply ! I was only questioning why you would come on here a call the estate agent scum, yet you are prepared to give them more time ?

If you are that unhappy with them and you feel they have not acted appropriately perhaps report them to the property ombudsmen and go find another more professional agent to sell your house ?

Or as I suspect you just jump on the estate agent bashing bandwagon and instead of raising your concerns appropriately, you resort to calling them names on a football internet forum.

Well done you !

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
My Mums house has been on the market now for 2 weeks, in that 2 weeks its had about 7 viewings...estate agent called me today and said " its to expensive we need to lower the price"....

I informed him it had 7 viewings and she was the one who valued the house...her reply was " but we would prefer a lower price so we can sell it quick"..

What she meant to say was lower the price so we can get our commision quickly...

In the most polite way I could I told her it will stay on the market for the price that YOU suggested for a couple of months as we are in no real hurry...

Scum the lot of them..

You should be more careful who you appoint. Clearly, they have not made their reputation as a "profession" based upon fair trading practices. However, I must say that I have dealt with a large number of reputable Estate Agents over the years. Look for those with RICS accreditation, rather than those who are a lower form of salesman than Arthur Daley.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Exactly its only been on 2 weeks, we have a contract where we can walk away at any time , but im not going to keep changing agents.

They are in Boundry road Portslade initial MM thats all

They always over-value houses by at least 10%, if not more, or at least, their other branches used to. They like upper-end houses.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
One of the biggest offenders in over valuing the property in my experience ! As you can walk away I'd dump them and go to Dean & Co in Hangleton. Ask for Ben, he's always worked hard when I've had properties to sell.

Completely agree, on both points.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have no idea who you are Westdene Seagull, but thank you for the sound bite there. Feel free to tell my boss also...!

You're very welcome Ben ! People will probably now think I have some financial interest in Dean & Co :lol:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
tetchy. yes they are sweeping generalisations, ones that seem to be pretty consistant with others experience. i know my grammer was poor and was trying to edit it, but t'interweb is a bit wonky here so gave up. i work as a sometime sys admin :lolol:

Ah yes, systems admin. They're all useless, lying bastards. The systems admin guy at my work lost two days of work email because he said he knew far more about Microsoft Exchange than he actually does. I'd have been far better off picking up a manual and doing it myself. Plus he has bad breath. Why can't someone teach these long haired freaks to clean their bloody teeth?

They're meant to support us but they would far rather the server room be in a cave in Afghanistan. That way they could avoid all human communication. One systems admin guy I'd had dealings with on an internet forum can't even spell grammar let alone use it correctly. :wink:

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
They're certainly not my cup of meat ! I got 5 quotes for my house. 4 quoted around £1,000,000, saying anything under should go quite quickly, say £975,000 - £950,000. MM valued it £600,000 !! Got me wondering what their angle was as it was so obviously a false valuation. Got me thinking that they deliberately undervalue a property, get an associate to bid the asking price, get it, sit on it for a while, and then sell it at the real price. Not saying they are all low life scum, but go into any transaction with your eyes open and go with the ones you trust and who give honest valuations. For me it certainly wont be MM.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Our estate agent phoned last week and left a message on 1571 to ask if we wanted to reduce the price. The market is absolutely dead at the moment and the few properties that are selling locally are 2/3 bedroom terraced houses in the £60k to £80k bracket being snapped up by BTL investors. With a 4 bed detached house to sell if we get a local buyer its very possible there will be already 4 or 5 in the chain. If we reduce the asking price it won't leave much wriggle room to get at least the same as we paid back in 2003.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
My Mums house has been on the market now for 2 weeks, in that 2 weeks its had about 7 viewings...estate agent called me today and said " its to expensive we need to lower the price"....

I informed him it had 7 viewings and she was the one who valued the house...her reply was " but we would prefer a lower price so we can sell it quick"..

What she meant to say was lower the price so we can get our commision quickly...

In the most polite way I could I told her it will stay on the market for the price that YOU suggested for a couple of months as we are in no real hurry...

Scum the lot of them..

As an aside, I've found EVERYONE involved in the process of buying a house a complete CRETIN.

....and the you get on to private landlords!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ah yes, systems admin. They're all useless, lying bastards. The systems admin guy at my work lost two days of work email because he said he knew far more about Microsoft Exchange than he actually does.

probably because his recruitment agent told him to. or just put it on his CV for him and he went along with it.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
My sister just bought a house which was on Fox & Sons books. She had trouble getting hold of them to BUY a house. She put in an offer which they forgot about, then took days to answer the phone so as she could chase them about it. If they gave her the runaround as a buyer, what hope has a seller got?
Finally after numerous days of the phone being ignored, she went into their office and was greeted by a smiling man, who's face dropped as he shat himself when she told him her name.
I would NEVER sell my house with them, and would be reluctant to buy through them even if they had a house on their books which I really wanted. I just wouldn't want to put myself through the torture of dealing with such a bunch of incompetents.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
probably because his recruitment agent told him to. or just put it on his CV for him and he went along with it.

Yep. This is exactly the kind of thing I do all day long. Just make shit up and hope nobody notices. It's been thirteen years now, mainly with the same clients. Do you think anyone will ever find out?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yep. This is exactly the kind of thing I do all day long. Just make shit up and hope nobody notices. It's been thirteen years now, mainly with the same clients. Do you think anyone will ever find out?

you may not, unfortunatly many recruiters do. from experience as a job seeker and participating in recruiting, i'm afraid its the majority.

anyway, we're supposed to be bitching at the estate agents, recruiters can have their thread another day.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here