Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate Agents.....are they all low life scum?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
My Mums house has been on the market now for 2 weeks, in that 2 weeks its had about 7 viewings...estate agent called me today and said " its to expensive we need to lower the price"....

I informed him it had 7 viewings and she was the one who valued the house...her reply was " but we would prefer a lower price so we can sell it quick"..

What she meant to say was lower the price so we can get our commision quickly...

In the most polite way I could I told her it will stay on the market for the price that YOU suggested for a couple of months as we are in no real hurry...

Scum the lot of them..

Mister Mix

Sep 3, 2012
My Mums house has been on the market now for 2 weeks, in that 2 weeks its had about 7 viewings...estate agent called me today and said " its to expensive we need to lower the price"....

I informed him it had 7 viewings and she was the one who valued the house...her reply was " but we would prefer a lower price so we can sell it quick"..

What she meant to say was lower the price so we can get our commision quickly...

In the most polite way I could I told her it will stay on the market for the price that YOU suggested for a couple of months as we are in no real hurry...

Scum the lot of them..

Go see a Jack in king and chasemore in Hove he is the best around

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As an aside, I've found EVERYONE involved in the process of buying a house a complete CRETIN.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Scum the lot of them..

Standard estate agent tactics I'm afraid. Value your house at a high price to get you to sign up to them and then get you to lower the price once you're in a contract. That said at least you're getting some feedback from your agent. There's a certain chain in B&H that also have a famous mint named after them and they don't even have the decency to pick up the phone to you.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
standard estate agent tactics i'm afraid. Value your house at a high price to get you to sign up to them and then get you to lower the price once your in a contract. That said at least you're getting some feedback from your agent. There's a certain chain in b&h that also have a famous mint named after them and they don't even have the decency to pick up the phone to you.

polo?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm sure they're not ALL low life scum, but I couldn't stand the ones I've dealt with as a buyer.

At EVERY contact with them, I got:
"there's no obligation to go through our preferred mortgage advisor, but it helps us to know you're a serious buyer, so we can get you to the front of the queue for our latest properties"
Which roughly translates as:
"I'm on commission for every meeting I set up for our mortgage advisor"

They didn't listen, so wasted my time on pointless viewings and reconfirming my criteria. They ended up trousering their fee through no good work from them - I saw the place I liked in their window & got blank looks when I asked why they hadn't called me about it when it came in...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think you've summed them up quite well. Ours was on the market on 2009, in 6 months we had one viewer, who offered us 60% of the asking price. I decided to go joint agent with another company who had been asking me for my business, the original agent had a viewing the following day, we had an offer just under the asking price within the hour, which we accepted.

IMO, they are lazy buggers, who try to make out they have lots of overheads, and work really hard. In truth I think they sit back and let things happen, and those that are any good get dragged down by the majority.

They treat buyers little better either in my experience.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No Mate... the house is in Portslade, Mother is moving this way as she has been very naughty and as a punishment she is moving to swindon......actuallly no family are left in The area now, apert from the wife and I visiting ( match days)

Fair enough - which agent is it ?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Try Andrews, if they operate where you are. Owned by a group of charities, not for profit, much more human and honest in their dealings, in my experience.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
where does it say that?

I certainly know more about their tactics than they think I do.....ie calling my mother who is 82 instead of me as POC and trying to tell her it wont sell its to expensive,

Scum as I said..

Can I ask why you are still using them if they are scum ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here