Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ePetition for Footpath from Woodingdean to Falmer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That would be development in the National Park, so it would need the approval of the National Park Authority.

It would be an interesting planning case. My guess is that an objector might argue that a better alternative location existed (the strip of land immediately adjacent to the highway in East Sussex, for example) and that "the law" said that planning permission would have to be refused.

We all know that things are a bit more complicated than that, though.

The South Downs National Park Planning Authority hands back planning decisions within its boundaries to the original planning authority except in cases where material changes are being made.

Surely a footpath/cyclepath doesn't fall under 'material change'?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Done.

In such a green area - both politically and literally - it's ridiculous that there's no cycling or walking alternative to the deathtrap that is Falmer Road.

I travel this road a lot and it frightens the life out of me when I see cyclists peddling up from the Falmer village towards Woodingdean.
They are so slow up this hill and many vehicles swerve out and back in dangerously past them on a couple of the blind bends.
I really cannot understand how a 2 metre wide strip of tarmac through National Park land is not worth the price to save one-persons life, because cycling on this road is an accident waiting to happen

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I travel this road a lot and it frightens the life out of me when I see cyclists peddling up from the Falmer village towards Woodingdean.
They are so slow up this hill and many vehicles swerve out and back in dangerously past them on a couple of the blind bends.
I really cannot understand how a 2 metre wide strip of tarmac through National Park land is not worth the price to save one-persons life, because cycling on this road is an accident waiting to happen

Same hear. Its impossible to complain about a proper path down that road. Its is now needed. The only problem is the cost.

I am an experienced cyclist, but would never cycle that road. Its bloody dangerous.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Same hear. Its impossible to complain about a proper path down that road. Its is now needed. The only problem is the cost.

I am an experienced cyclist, but would never cycle that road. Its bloody dangerous.

I understood there was a government grant given to councils to put in cycle lanes, I could be wrong.

The South Downs National Park Planning Authority hands back planning decisions within its boundaries to the original planning authority except in cases where material changes are being made.

Surely a footpath/cyclepath doesn't fall under 'material change'?
I'm absolutely CERTAIN that someone in the South Downs Society will claim that it is. A cycle path alongside the road wouldn't get the same opposition though.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Almost all of the road between Woodingdean and Falmer is nothing to do with Brighton & Hove City Council.

True, although if this kicks of the discussion between ESCC & B&HCC then its a good thing.

It can be quite easily done and a cycle route / better walking path would be of great benefit to a lot of people - not just Amex users.

Done - 182 signatures now

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
The thought of connecting a major sports centre and university to the local area via a safe cycle route and foot path which would benefit many people is utter madness. This thread should be a petition to install talking dustbins.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm absolutely CERTAIN that someone in the South Downs Society will claim that it is. A cycle path alongside the road wouldn't get the same opposition though.

You mean like a pavement ?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Done, couldnt agree more with this,

Some people park in the lay-bys half way up falmer road on match days and the walk back up their cars is life threatening, especially for those walking up the road after the evening games who our bus nearly wiped out after the sunderland game

I drive that road every day as Im a "woodentopper" and its dangerous enough as a motorist, cyclists and pedestrians are in a lot of danger on that road, theres no way Id cycle or walk it.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just hit the 200 mark.
Keep the signatures coming those who have yet to sign.

Thanks

250 plus seems to be a reasonable figure when compared to other campaigns on the councils website. I am sure you can watch the debates live online as well as I remember watching a few of the Amex discussions.

Brighton Hove City Council - Current ePetitions

I have read the North Laine one half a dozen times and still have no clue as to what they want/dont want?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here