Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ePetition for Footpath from Woodingdean to Falmer.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It's just under 3 miles I think, typical, I moved away from woodingdean last year, that cycle path would have been very handy, I would've ridden but didn't fancy the falmer road. I did start thinking about riding from Burgess Hill but I'm still very unfit and Ditchling Beacon is in the way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's just under 3 miles I think, typical, I moved away from woodingdean last year, that cycle path would have been very handy, I would've ridden but didn't fancy the falmer road. I did start thinking about riding from Burgess Hill but I'm still very unfit and Ditchling Beacon is in the way.

This may seem like a lot further, but you will avoid almost any serious climb:

I'd consider cycling to Hurstpierpoint, and then through there join the A23 cycle path which runs alongside the A23. I'd then take the London Road all the way into Brighton, cycle across the top of The Level, then cycle back up the Lewes Road to the stadium.

This would be about 17 miles, but I think it would be mostly flat.

An alternative would be to go straight down past Hassocks, climb Clayton Hill at the back of the Jack and Jill pub, then join the A23 cycle path through Pyecombe village. This cuts the journey by 4 miles, but Clayton Hill is still a reasonable challenge but not comparable to the Beacon.

I should add I regularly cycle to the stadium up the Lewes Road, and with the cycle lanes consider it pretty safe. The only dodgy bit is the gyratory by Sainsbury's, but you can simply walk that bit.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
This may seem like a lot further, but you will avoid almost any serious climb:

I'd consider cycling to Hurstpierpoint, and then through there join the A23 cycle path which runs alongside the A23. I'd then take the London Road all the way into Brighton, cycle across the top of The Level, then cycle back up the Lewes Road to the stadium.

This would be about 17 miles, but I think it would be mostly flat.

An alternative would be to go straight down past Hassocks, climb Clayton Hill at the back of the Jack and Jill pub, then join the A23 cycle path through Pyecombe village. This cuts the journey by 4 miles, but Clayton Hill is still a reasonable challenge but not comparable to the Beacon.

I should add I regularly cycle to the stadium up the Lewes Road, and with the cycle lanes consider it pretty safe. The only dodgy bit is the gyratory by Sainsbury's, but you can simply walk that bit.

Sounds like the best route but just getting there would kill me. I only started riding a bike again recently since moving, I had just started the "long" ride to work and back in burgess hill which is 5 miles there and 5 back and it hurts.

But bear in mind I'm 34 and my mountain bike that I have owned since I was 14 has come out of retirement, it's made of steel, weighs a ton with great big fat knobbly off road tyres on it. It's hard work!! I would buy another bike but I'm only playing with the idea. What I ride now makes me work harder for the distance I ride so is better for me if you understand what I mean?

At the moment I am still trying to recover from a tendon injury in my right foot and double that with a massive gout attack in my right ankle that has crippled me for the last 3 weeks. Factor in the fact that apart from starting smoking again after stopping for 8 months I'm not in the peak of fitness!! !!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Woodingdean to the Amex. Anyone know how long it would take to walk it?

I would estimate between 35 and 40 minutes from where the Bakery used to be. 5 minutes more if you're starting from say The Downs Hotel.

Longer after the match - all uphill, and full of beer and pies. Actually not a bad way to walk off the food/drink.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It doesn't need any more land, it is already a green lane and protected by law. All it ever needed was the money and the inclination to get on with it and put a better surface on it. Brighton did their bit over a year ago, to be fair though they are a Council that will dig any thing up to put a cycle path in, Lewes not so much, in fact I don't think any. Some one in Lewes must have pointed out that you can exercise horses on it as well. Best not tell any one with a four wheel drive vehicle.

It doesn't need any more land, it is already a green lane and protected by law. All it ever needed was the money and the inclination to get on with it and put a better surface on it. Brighton did their bit over a year ago, to be fair though they are a Council that will dig any thing up to put a cycle path in, Lewes not so much, in fact I don't think any. Some one in Lewes must have pointed out that you can exercise horses on it as well. Best not tell any one with a four wheel drive vehicle.
Lewes District Council don't do cycle lanes (or public footpaths / bridleways for that matter). These are the responsibility of East Sussex County Council. The National Park Authority are also involved and have earmarked some funding for this project.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Transport Manager ‏@BHAFCtransport 8m

#Woodingdean to #Falmer foot & #cycle path nears completion, none of it on the road. Be finished mid Sept. #BHAFC

BTZ4WbPIgAAiOXu.jpg:large

Transport Manager ‏@BHAFCtransport 8m

#Woodingdean to #Falmer foot & #cycle path nears completion, none of it on the road. Be finished mid Sept. #BHAFC

BTZ4WbPIgAAiOXu.jpg:large

Seemed to be lots of people using it when I drove past on Tuesday - is there going to be an ethankyou petition?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here