Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enticement to commit a crime

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I got asked for my passport in Vegas last year when I was 57. The only problem with asking for ID all the time is that we don't normally carry any with our age on it. I can't see people wanting to carry their passport with them all the time (and I don't have one at the moment as it's being renewed). Should 60-year-olds really have to apply for those pub ID cards?

Your driving licence shows your date of birth.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Your driving licence shows your date of birth.

Quite a lot of people don't have driving licences: I don't.

And the implication of that is that only drivers should be drinking alcohol while non-drivers aren't allowed - that seems counter-intuitive to me

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Quite. I routinely get carded in Boston (the one in the US), as does everyone else in those bars. I'm 52.

When I did bar work in the USA you carded everyone, pensioners included and there we were working under age behind the bar and drinking our fill when we closed up.

As for that police sting, the question has to be asked about the door staff letting them in to these places in the first place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An easier option for all is to just ask ID of everyone. Pain in the ass but would prevent these issues.
As much as a pain as it is, this is the only way to actually prevent it.
Quite. I routinely get carded in Boston (the one in the US), as does everyone else in those bars. I'm 52.
No thanks. I don't want to always have to have ID on me, on the off chance I go for a drink.

I think the law is fine as it is, and I doubt that those caught really thought the customers were over 25.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see what was wrong with the old system in years gone by. a mini bus of officers stopped at a pub some went to the eit doors the others walked around asking for age and ID. When completed moved on to another but were able to stop doing that and attend a disturbance if needed so rather than sit in a minibus waiting for call to a fight or whatever they did some thing constructive. To me a much simpler and fairer way. The only downside was that if a table of 4 had 4 beers and a coke the one under age said the coke was his if quick enough but video could scan the bar before asking, as they walk in the door before anybody was aware of their presence.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
No thanks. I don't want to always have to have ID on me, on the off chance I go for a drink.

I think the law is fine as it is, and I doubt that those caught really thought the customers were over 25.

Not saying I want it :shrug: just that if the police and government actually cared about it, they would make it the law to ID for every sale...

The general rule seems to be that if you have facial hair, you will get served. Perhaps they need to be IDing more beardos

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
On Bright news today Brighton Police are considering taking action against 5 pubs in Brighton for serving under age drinkers after they sent in 16 and 17 year olds to try to buy alcohol is that not a classic case of police enticing the publican to break the law?

No as the publican simply refuses... the people used all look under 18 or else there would be no point.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I cannot see what was wrong with the old system in years gone by. a mini bus of officers stopped at a pub ...

Have you not seen any newspapers in the last few years? Theresa May is on a mission to cut police numbers and introduce more efficiencies - just ask Edna.

Do you really think that faced with a reduced number of officers and the need to make cuts, it's a good use of resources to send a busload of officers around the pubs of Brighton?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Annual sting operation in order to fine multiple venues for a few thousand £.

Much more important than cleaning up the homeless and getting the drugs off the streets.

Not sure the Police have the remit or budget to 'clean up the homeless' - think that rests with the council & what with current budgets being slashed the numbers of homeless in Brighton is only going in one direction. Fortunately however 'we are all in it together' so no worries.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

Exactly. Can't think of a bigger waste of time than asking a person in their 50s if they can prove they are over 18!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Are these young teenagers on the payroll then?

One of the first cases I sat on, about 9 years ago, was a local (Pevensey) publican being done for this.

There had been reports of under age drinking so (to answer your question) two 17 y.o. police cadets, a boy & girl went in, ordered a drink, paid and left. We saw photos of the youngsters, neither of them looked particularly young or old.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Exactly. Can't think of a bigger waste of time than asking a person in their 50s if they can prove they are over 18!

It could be a power trip. Never get it in pubs but twice in my 50s I've been asked for ID in supermarkets. Naturally, I didn't have any but I protested so loudly they let it go.

There could be other reasons too. I was once in Waitrose where a black woman, plainly in her late 50s, was refused service as she didn't have any ID on her. She protested that she was a grandmother but to no avail. That was clear racism by the cashier as she served me without demur a few minutes later - even though I was several years younger.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I got asked for my passport in Vegas last year when I was 57. The only problem with asking for ID all the time is that we don't normally carry any with our age on it. I can't see people wanting to carry their passport with them all the time (and I don't have one at the moment as it's being renewed). Should 60-year-olds really have to apply for those pub ID cards?

I carried my passport all the time when we were in the US/Canada in May as everytime I made a credit card purchase I have to show photo ID, it wasn't really a problem as long as you are careful and keep it secure.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
As a 73 year old, I am always disappointed if I am not asked for ID when I buy an alcoholic drink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here