Enough negativity - what would you do to fix things?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Firstly why are we where we are now ?
When Oscar left, we were too slow in getting a new man in, meaning any players we went after didn't know what system they'd be expected to play in, so we missed out on a couple of first choices.
By the time Sami came in, we had sold or lost some of our best players so not only did he inherit a new team, it was one that had had the nucleus torn out of it and he had to try to impose his style on a bunch of players who didn't know him or each other. In effect we have a new team, a few of who have played together.
That's where we are now.
Looking forward, whilst it's easy to say "Sack Sami, Burke, Jones, Barber, The catering manager, Program sellers and the grumpy fat steward" this would just lead to another period of instability.
What we need to do, in my lowly opinion, is to stick (albeit reluctantly) with them and ensure we avoid relegation. This definitely means that we need to spend some money in January to get in at least one decent striker, a big lad that gets into the box and batters (legitimately of course) the centre backs and keeper; our current crop of midgets just don't threaten enough.
Oh, and use Kaz as an impact sub, coming on at 65 minutes and playing wide.

Good post. It's always a case of beware of what you wish for. Throwing everyone out will change nothing. We are not going to get top 6 so it does not really matter where we come just so long as we aren't relegated. Right now there are 6 points between 21 and 11 in the table. If we can carve out 8 points from the next 15 available then our league position could look a lot different.

I am not convinced that the problem is 100% Sami. Sure, a different manager could perhaps get more out of the current players but I think some of the players have a lot to answer for. Gardner was woeful yesterday (IMHO). Stockdale is inconsistent - yesterday was a case in point - great saves but some really poor distribution. The team seem to think Bennett is invisible on the left when he is in space. They lack drive when the opportunity to break is there. OK, Sami has something to answer for here but right now is it unfair to say that it is 100% him.

Assuming we are not looking at bottom three and 6 points adrift by the end of the year I say give Sami the opportunity to put his stamp on the team through the January transfer window. Avoid relegation and then take stock towards the end of the season. If things are looking up then all well and good otherwise it's find yet another manager. My worry there is that sort of guys that we really need will not touch us with a bargepole unless they think they can work with a DOF.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Every striker we have has scored goals elsewhere, including the Championship and the top division in Spain
Probably because they were used as strikers and not defensive wingers!!

Last edited:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
If Sami wants to push the full backs that far forward, (which I have no problem with) we need to play three at the back.

So I would go Dunk, Greer and Hughes / Ince as the back three (possibly favouring Ince as he has the pace - and the passing ability.

You could then go with Bruno and Bennett as wing backs. (could possibly go with Lua Lua or March when fit if you wanted to be more adventurous)

Holla and Stephens (when fit) as traditional centre mids. (Gardener and Agestein are the other options)

McCort or Tex as the creative midfielder given free reign to get forward.

We have to play 2 upfront as we have spent big on Baldock (and CMS for that matter) who both need a strike partner. So Baldock up front and we have to loan or sign a decent strike partner (a Murray type). COG is nowhere near good enough. In fact we may as well bite the bullet and re-sign Murray.

Stockdale in goal is fine and will improve.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Every striker we have has scored goals elsewhere, including the Championship and the top division in Spain
We have strikers that CAN score goals. Baldock has not become sxxt overnight, 24 goals in L1 but 0 in the Championship, it just does not equate to a crap player, it means he is in a crap team or crap system or crap tactics. We know our team is not as good as we would like, but as a group of individuals, our players are not crap (one notable exception to this) which means crap system or tactics.

Get a new manager, give him complete control over playing matters, and maybe we won't need to spend big in January. Sami has publicly stated his desire for new players, which will cost money, maybe change the manager and the system and keep the players instead?

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
We have strikers that CAN score goals. Baldock has not become sxxt overnight, 24 goals in L1 but 0 in the Championship, it just does not equate to a crap player, it means he is in a crap team or crap system or crap tactics. We know our team is not as good as we would like, but as a group of individuals, our players are not crap (one notable exception to this) which means crap system or tactics.

Get a new manager, give him complete control over playing matters, and maybe we won't need to spend big in January. Sami has publicly stated his desire for new players, which will cost money, maybe change the manager and the system and keep the players instead?

I see your point but I think there are only two points that justify changing Sami right now:

1 - sitting at the bottom and losing games
2 - clear evidence that he has lost the dressing room

We are close to the bottom 3 but we are not losing game after game. We are not taking our chances and not good enough to play the way we are playing with the full backs pushing as far forward as they are. I could see the disappointment on some of the players' faces at the end of the match on Saturday, Calde especially, but I don't see any clear evidence that the players don't trust Sami and aren't playing for him.

A fresh face can bring fresh impetus but there's no guarantee.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If there is no chance of bringing anyone in we need to modify the tactics... possibly not let the WBs go up so much, and play two up the front or one up front with a shadow striker or false nine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports