Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enough negativity - what would you do to fix things?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
adjust the tactics. the fullbacks should be more restrained, while still getting forward when its appropriate, with only one getting too advanced. a more suited striker in the middle. taking account of Stumpy Tim's point, our strikers do know where the net is, just they arent suited to the setup. or, the setup is again in need of adjustment, use the wing to get deep behind and put decent crosses in. no good bombing up the wing only to cut inside and find lots of congested space in front of the area.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Solid 4 at the back, holding midfielder, 2 attacking midfielders, 2 out wide and a front man. Pretty much what we did from when Gus got here.

I think this is what we need go back to basics however I would with the players we have go four at the back two holding ball winning midfielders two out wide and two up front we have players and spares for all these positions a big pitch and yet every one is crowded in the centre

el punal

Three months of the season gone, 14 games played and only 2 wins of which the last one was in AUGUST! Admittedly I was sympathetic with what Sami was trying to achieve and give him time to achieve his aims.

The reality is, following the two dire performances against Middlesbrough and Rotherham, the team are floundering and so is the manager. From being inconsistent and profligate in front of goal, add a huge dose of uncertainty and lack of confidence. That is a recipe for disaster and unless it's rectified soon we will not get out of the mire.

Solutions? Perhaps Sami and his coaching staff need to take a step back and identify where the weaknesses are and rectify them. Obvious I know. But it's also obvious that the team can not or will not play the system that he wants them to. Therefore go back to square one, swallow your pride, and select a formula that the team are comfortable with and capable of. As mentioned before we're a team of square pegs in round holes at present and it needs to change - fast.

If Sami and his staff are unable to do this then unfortunately it will be bye-bye time. I reckon the next three league games will determine the outcome. Personally I hope he succeeds but following the last two home performances I remain sceptical.

And if all goes pear shaped, who to have as a replacement? Someone with sound experience rather than a raw, new managerial talent. Steve Clarke maybe?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Change the formation. It's simple the wing back system is not working. Solid back four which won't leave us so exposed.

Going forward give McCourt a go from the start as we won't need him to defend if our defence is solid. Or failing that, aim for corners as it's the only way we can score.

Also, surprised to say this but we really miss CMS. He's far from perfect but at least he's got goals at this level for us. When he's fit, stick with him up front and hopefully he can get a few goals and a few wins.

Sadly, Hyypia has failed to notice this so he needs to go. As I've said on another thread, I don't think he's been provided with a great team but they're better than 21st and shouldn't be holding on for a draw against Rotherham!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The easy answer is to replace SH Jones and Burke with a manager who brings in own staff and scouting system , and the stands or falls by his decisions, buit that wont happen.

This is closest to what I would do, we need a management team that are completely agreed in what they are trying to achieve and the players needed. It seems all to pot at the moment, yesterday was awful.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Firstly why are we where we are now ?
When Oscar left, we were too slow in getting a new man in, meaning any players we went after didn't know what system they'd be expected to play in, so we missed out on a couple of first choices.
By the time Sami came in, we had sold or lost some of our best players so not only did he inherit a new team, it was one that had had the nucleus torn out of it and he had to try to impose his style on a bunch of players who didn't know him or each other. In effect we have a new team, a few of who have played together.
That's where we are now.
Looking forward, whilst it's easy to say "Sack Sami, Burke, Jones, Barber, The catering manager, Program sellers and the grumpy fat steward" this would just lead to another period of instability.
What we need to do, in my lowly opinion, is to stick (albeit reluctantly) with them and ensure we avoid relegation. This definitely means that we need to spend some money in January to get in at least one decent striker, a big lad that gets into the box and batters (legitimately of course) the centre backs and keeper; our current crop of midgets just don't threaten enough.
Oh, and use Kaz as an impact sub, coming on at 65 minutes and playing wide.

Good post!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Be bold, be one club one ambition.

Apart from that How about playing players in their correct positions, with wide men er... playing wide. Play a consistent team instead of keep bloody changing it.

My team would be

Stockdale

Calderon
Greer
Duck
Bennett

Ince

Tex
Holla/Bruno
Lua Lua

Baldock
O' Grady/Any lump of rock

a 4-1-3-2

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Firstly why are we where we are now ?
When Oscar left, we were too slow in getting a new man in, meaning any players we went after didn't know what system they'd be expected to play in, so we missed out on a couple of first choices.
By the time Sami came in, we had sold or lost some of our best players so not only did he inherit a new team, it was one that had had the nucleus torn out of it and he had to try to impose his style on a bunch of players who didn't know him or each other. In effect we have a new team, a few of who have played together.
That's where we are now.
Looking forward, whilst it's easy to say "Sack Sami, Burke, Jones, Barber, The catering manager, Program sellers and the grumpy fat steward" this would just lead to another period of instability.
What we need to do, in my lowly opinion, is to stick (albeit reluctantly) with them and ensure we avoid relegation. This definitely means that we need to spend some money in January to get in at least one decent striker, a big lad that gets into the box and batters (legitimately of course) the centre backs and keeper; our current crop of midgets just don't threaten enough.
Oh, and use Kaz as an impact sub, coming on at 65 minutes and playing wide.

Best post of the weekend!
Spot on !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As a player
Work harder - When we have the ball, bust a gut to get forward to attack or support the attack. When we lose the ball bust a gut to get back and defend/support defence. We are too slow to get forward, allowing opponents time to get back and stifle our attacks, and when we're defending we don't close them down quick enough.

On the wing, our attacking fullbacks need support, and we need people to get in the box and provide options.

If I'm Gardner, I make a vow not to shoot for five games. Maybe then promising attacks or possession won't be wasted as I blast the ball high and wide yet again.

I would work on set pieces after practice, work on my delivery from corners, work on my free kicks. I would look at as many matches involving a dominant team against an underdog to see how they broke down a team that parked the bus, to try to get some ideas for how to break down the teams that show even a modicum of defensive discipline.

As a manager
Talk to the squad. Ask them why they are unable to give the sort of performance they gave v Leeds. Why do they think they aren't giving the performances? Are they tired? are they being asked to do something they don't have confidence they can actually do? Are they being left exposed? Use this to improve my approach.

Allow for the idea that different opponents will have different strengths and weaknesses and we need flexibility in team line ups, but we also need that flexibility of tactics, and we also need to give the team a chance to get to know each other by playing together regularly.

Look for an experienced head for help, support and/or guidance. I'm not saying it is Jones' fault, but I think there is too much inexperience in the management set up, Hyypia needs some help.

As Owner/Chairman
Meet with Sami, ask him why he thinks things are failing, what he thinks he needs to turn it around, and judge how reasonable well we can budget for it, and as far as possible work to give it to him.

Start looking at who is out there that might be an alternative - Don't approach them, that isn't fair to Sami. Tell as few people as possible, word will leak if too many people know, and again, this is unfair on Sami. While looking, don't limit myself - don't, for instance, only look at British managers, but also, don't only look at hungry young inexperienced foreign managers. Get the best man, whether he be British or not, experienced or not.

As a Fan
Moan on the internet about things, while accepting it's not my money financing the team and let Bloom decide if/when he wants to change the manager/fund more signings/ignore FFP, etc.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's a bit of a freebie at Spurs on Wednesday, we're expected to get hammered, so try something different.

Flat back four, become hard to beat.

Two defensive midfield players.

Then three attackers midfielders, and one up top.

So

Stockdale

Calde
Dunk
Greer
Bennett

Holla
Ince

Lua Lua
Texiera
McCourt

Baldock

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Solid 4 at the back, holding midfielder, 2 attacking midfielders, 2 out wide and a front man. Pretty much what we did from when Gus got here.

This is a reasonable response, one I agree with, but I'm struggling to put players to positions. Who IS this front man, where ARE the attacking midfielders, and WHICH two out wide if we can stop the answer being full backs ? WHO is holding the midfield ?

The team has been gutted/sold off/walked off in a season and a half, and we have substandard replacements. No surprise at our position, then.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Be bold, be one club one ambition.

Apart from that How about playing players in their correct positions, with wide men er... playing wide. Play a consistent team instead of keep bloody changing it.

My team would be

Stockdale

Calderon
Greer
Duck
Bennett

Ince

Tex
Holla/Bruno
Lua Lua

Baldock
O' Grady/Any lump of rock

a 4-1-3-2
Duck?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Get Alan Mullery to deliver the half-time team talk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here