Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems some fans want to arrange a minutes applause for Mwepu ahead of the Brentford game.

To me a strange approach given applause is usually for when someone has died as opposed to having to retire for medical reasons. Far better just to chant his name or display Zambia flags.

How times have changed. Respect for someone that had died used to be a minute's silence. Applause is just a way of showing appreciation, alive or dead. Think it would be very apt but not at Brentford, at the Amex.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nice piece in the Argus:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/23039330.brighton-show-backing-enock-mwepu-club-shop/

Club shop had the shirts on display all with his name and number on them.

Awaits cynics suggesting they had them already printed up, and are displaying them in a bid to get rid off them quick...
Be nice if the revenue from the sales of these shirts went to a good cause - a heart charity, or for development of football/football coaching facilities in Zambia, perhaps.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Really sad news but as others have said, it's good that it was found before something terrible happened to him. I like the idea of a guard of honour or a flag, the applause is what we do when someone has died & thankfully at his young age, he hasn't.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I already have a blank shirt for this season. Very tempted to have it printed with his name and number in tribute.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
What terrible news! He was such a joyous player. Hopefully he gets a new position in the sport. Maybe get him in as a coach!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Enock has been a class act from the start and will be badly missed. Not just a creative, all action midfielder with an eye for goal, but by all accounts a real positive force around the place who everyone took a shine to. Such a shame at such a young age - certainly had the attributes to become an elite player. His firm faith and family will sustain him while he figures out his next move.
Big loss for Zambia too - they were really looking to the likes of him, Patson Daka and Fashion Sakala to take them up to the next level.
Just glad the medics identified the issue before something worse happened. I wonder if future club medicals for new players will be able to test more comprehensively in the future for these kind of issues?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How times have changed. Respect for someone that had died used to be a minute's silence. Applause is just a way of showing appreciation, alive or dead. Think it would be very apt but not at Brentford, at the Amex.
The reason that a minute's applause replaced the minute's silence is simple. There are too many brainless selfish humanoid sh*ts who can't be trusted not to spoil a minute's silence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it is proper weird to have a minute of silence for someone who is alive and well
Minutes of silence were for people who had died; they had to be replaced by a minute's clapping for the reason I stated. Nobody's suggested a minute's silence for Mwepu.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Minutes of silence were for people who had died; they had to be replaced by a minute's clapping for the reason I stated. Nobody's suggested a minute's silence for Mwepu.
By supporting a minute's applause for the reasons you give you are indeed supporting the idea of a minute's silence, since you are saying the former is a 'football safe' version of the latter. Innit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By supporting a minute's applause for the reasons you give you are indeed supporting the idea of a minute's silence, since you are saying the former is a 'football safe' version of the latter. Innit.
No, the applause has replaced the silence for the dead at football grounds because of a minority of yobs. The applause can also be used for other reasons, which is the way it is, and quite right, innit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here