Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh dear, you aren’t going to be too happy with yourself after that one.
If only about eight people hadn't quoted me to say the same thing already eh?

I must say, this site has got incredibly dull. Don't express any sort of negative opinion shortly after we've won because all manner of boring smug dullards will be out to put you straight

I still stand by my original point, which is that he is often either anonymous or he threatens to be exciting but doesn't deliver. Oh and he doesn't score, and one worldy at Liverpool that I had forgotten about really doesn't change that. And nor does his excellent performance yesterday.

When we next end a ten game run without a win, I'll be sure to give this place a wide berth though. The smug bellends that hound any opinion remotely negative are every bit as insufferable as the Potter Out crew who appear when we've lost our forth game in a row to a team with a wage bill three times bigger than our own.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I must say, this site has got incredibly dull. Don't express any sort of negative opinion shortly after we've won because all manner of boring smug dullards will be out to put you straight

I still stand by my original point, which is that he is often either anonymous or he threatens to be exciting but doesn't deliver. Oh and he doesn't score, and one worldy at Liverpool that I had forgotten about really doesn't change that. And nor does his excellent performance yesterday.

When we next end a ten game run without a win, I'll be sure to give this place a wide berth though. The smug bellends that hound any opinion remotely negative are every bit as insufferable as the Potter Out crew who appear when we've lost our forth game in a row to a team with a wage bill three times bigger than our own.

You're probably right.

It would be great for a couple of 'back that up' performances going forward.

That said, first season, COVID hit squad, multiple positions, arriving from Austria, a manager who loves a tinker (only a criticism when the team doesn't win).

& finally the lad will be 24 later this week.

How much should we expect from him going forward?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I am not a fan - he reminds me of a Premier League Paddy McCourt with lots of pace, a bit of skill but absolutely no end product. However today, none of that applies - he was very good and a real thorn in their side.

I have to agree with this. I am still deeply unconvinced. Sometimes he looks like he's won a competition to be there. The assist was fine, but it was just an up and over into a lot of space. Happy to be proved wrong, of course...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have to agree with this. I am still deeply unconvinced. Sometimes he looks like he's won a competition to be there. The assist was fine, but it was just an up and over into a lot of space. Happy to be proved wrong, of course...
That's how I feel. As Stat Brother suggests, let's see if he can back up this performance with a similar one at Chelsea. I have no axe to grind with him - I see why he's selected and he does work hard - I just want more consistency from him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm a big fan of Potter, but it's difficult to argue with this. What's the solution Stat? The only one I can see is to get a Murray-a-like and bombard them with some quality crosses.

Not a million miles away IMO.

We have to make use of our full-backs and get the forwards running across the near post more, since Murray left we rarely make that run. We simply aren’t going anywhere working the ball into a congested area.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought he played his best game yet for us last night. He’s a bit in and out at the moment, but that’s not surprising, there is a lot to get used to.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I didn’t look, but they would all be right too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1475481121731366922[/tweet]

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Give him a close season to decompress and I think we'll have another player of real quality in midfield and I anticipate a few more goals.

Ps he has a great engine too.

He'll be a marmite player because his touch isn't faultless, but for me the other stuff he brings to the table massively outweighs that, he's a real big physical presence we've lacked in midfield since we let Stephens go, he really puts himself about and then bang he can do something quite startling. Trossard got a lot of credit for that goal last night but I think he deserves more, he meant that ball and the precise delivery made Tross's mind up what he had to do. And it wasn't just isolated, he made another long raking pass in the second half that shows he does have a real vision. Really good signing! We get a few signings wrong so let's praise the recruitment guys when they nail one

Really enjoyed his performance last night, the recruitment team have found yet another diamond in the rough in young Enoch,the Bissouma comparison isn't really how I see him going forward as he's nowhere near as good a defender as Bissouma but offers more going forward than Bissouma so somewhere in between will do me.

He's definitely getting up to speed with the EPL and looks like he just loves playing football, he looks ungainly at times and almost out of control of the ball but he actually really does have a nice balance on the ball in tight situations.

I doubt the Liverpool belter will be the last time Mwepu will have the opposition fans clapping a wonder goal He's just scored because he certainly has the self belief to bag a few more goals from midfield for the team.

Tidy player and somewhat unpredictable so it's a yes from me Bob.

He'll get compared a lot to Biss because they are both African centre mids but I agree they are quite different, Biss is a quite a special athlete and technical player who you wouldn't want to compare anyone too as they'll come off worse. Enock deserves to be judged alongside the others we have

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He'll get compared a lot to Biss because they are both African centre mids but I agree they are quite different, Biss is a quite a special athlete and technical player who you wouldn't want to compare anyone too as they'll come off worse. Enock deserves to be judged alongside the others we have

Imho.

Biss is best suited to a DM or CM allrounder role, disrupting the opposition, brilliant tackling, passing to the game changers.

Mwepu seems to be more a box to box CM, great pace on the counter.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Imho.

Biss is best suited to a DM or CM allrounder role, disrupting the opposition, brilliant tackling, passing to the game changers.

Mwepu seems to be more a box to box CM, great pace on the counter.

Yup, this. Don't think it's difficult. RE Mwepu, I'd add that he's unconventional, he tries things, some of which will pay off, plenty won't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup, this. Don't think it's difficult. RE Mwepu, I'd add that he's unconventional, he tries things, some of which will pay off, plenty won't.

A work in progress, but already producing the goods.

Biss in his first season or two would go on crazy and amazing runs (a revelation after Stephens and Propper), ignore all his team-mates, then blow it. Later becoming a £40m plus player. Potter’s a quality coach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here