Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLISH Cup Semi-Final - TWO English players

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interesting thread. I always vowed that Brighton must never be in that position etc. etc. However, now we have our fair share of foreign players, doesn't bother me in the slightest (complete U-turn).

The only thing that would slightly irritate me, would be if they didn't 'get' what it different things mean to the fans (i.e. Palace matches etc.).

Its a big 'if', but IF we get to the premiership, I will be concerned that we have a further influx of new players, who 'kiss the badge' and then leave or think they are bigger than the club.

However, at the end of the day I support the club and the team regardless of whom they are.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a fantastic game, football is about entertainment to me and I was entertained. British players can only dream about having the skills on display today.

Why would I be irritated? I don't support either of the teams but if I did I would know that they wouldn't be anywhere near as good with a team full of British players, I can live with that.

I haven't once thought when Gus announces the team sheet " oh shit there aren't too many English players in that team"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's market forces in action and its trickling down the leagues.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Interesting thread. I always vowed that Brighton must never be in that position etc. etc. However, now we have our fair share of foreign players, doesn't bother me in the slightest (complete U-turn).

The only thing that would slightly irritate me, would be if they didn't 'get' what it different things mean to the fans (i.e. Palace matches etc.).

Its a big 'if', but IF we get to the premiership, I will be concerned that we have a further influx of new players, who 'kiss the badge' and then leave or think they are bigger than the club.

However, at the end of the day I support the club and the team regardless of whom they are.

agree with this

if a footballer is'nt brought up in and around the Brighton area,there really is no difference between a player coming from Malaga or Manchester

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Only a handful of English players on the pitch today, best not go back to 1986 then when Liverpool became the first club to win the the FA cup without an Englishman in their team

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Makes me frigging angry. Bloody foreign players. And two foreign managers.

A quick glance seems to indicate only Milner and Barry are English. Chelsea have not one English player on the pitch.

It's OUR FA Cup. There should be a requirement for at least 6 English players per team.

Someone is inevitably going to say, what about the Albion and all our foreign players and our foreign manager? Well, truthfully I wish we had more English players.

The useless FA would learmn a lot if they took time out to have a look at the German model,they have the best league system of all, imho of course

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't care if they are Martians as long as they do their best for the team.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The useless FA would learmn a lot if they took time out to have a look at the German model,they have the best league system of all, imho of course
The Dutch have a good system as well. I think that we could develop a system in Sussex but we got to make the facilities ie 3G pitches available to youth teams at a reasonable cost. Our kids can't improve skills playing on ploughed fields and sloping pitches more suitable to down hill sledging.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Perhaps a better question to ask is why are oversees players so much more skilful and talented that our inferior home grown players.

That and the prices £8 million for Jordan Rhodes and lets not even start on andy Carroll

abso-bloody-exactly

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Until we put a lot more focus on kids football we are always going to have more foreign players..

Cheap imports instead of British made goods. We have Thatcher to thank for this.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bertrand is playing.

Didn't realise he was English. Bertrand sounds like a Johnny Foreigner french name. So OK that makes three English players.

Regarding the Albion team, I know this is one of the best set of players we've had for a long time, but I honestly felt more connected to the team when we had a load of English lads. All these Spaniards, Argentinians, Poles, etc .... well, it's just not the same.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When you think about it logically, wouldn't it be IMPOSSIBLE for these teams to have 'lots' english players and be good enough.

What I mean is this:

City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and arguably Liverpool and Spurs would probably expect all 11 of what you would call their 'strongest' 11 to be full international players.

That's 66 players. Now say we have 18 english players who you would call PROPER England internationals. Split them up over the 6 teams I mentioned, that's only 3 per starting 11 of each of those teams before we even look at the other 14 teams in the division.

It's just not mathmatically feasable for top clubs to have many great english players and compete.

In Spain, pretty much their whole squad is spread across 2 teams. The rest of the division are full of spanish players. Great you may say, but then look at the poor abaility of those teams compared to the top 2. It's a difficult balance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's crazy talk from a crazy man.

Even if there wasn't a huge financial gap between 'us and them', the talent gap alone has me hoping Gus does all his shopping duty free, this summer.

Too true. I don't pay top dollar to watch some poor touches, poor vision, poor passing from a predominantly English coached team of players. Oh no, I demand latin flair, jour de vivre, silky skills, tiki-taka.

More English players maybe in a decade when the majority of them have caught up with the rest of Europe perhaps, but right now, Orlandi-ole-Vicente-ole-Spanish Dave-ole-Ulloa-ole-Calderon-ole-Bruno-ole :love:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why does anyone care? There aren't British players in the top sides because we are shit! Look at brighton, a few years ago our team was predominantly British, and we were disgustingly tinpot. Now, we are a top championship side, pushing for the prem and guess what? We have a team with A LOT of foreigners, and we are so much better for it! Do people realise that football is a competitive business, not some kiddy participation sport where plaLyers get in teams just because they are British. These trams choose the best players available to make them as successful as possible and the sad fact is British players don't get in these teams because they aren't good enough! We simply font produce enough top quality players!

This. Apart from the word "font". And with paragraphs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here