Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England World Cup Squad

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No Mings but Maddison and White in on the positive front.

On the negative, Philips really shouldn't be going. Kane and Wilson are our only No 9's

Central defence looks weak.
Of course I think Dunky should be given his chance, but of those picked/not picked Mings imho is a better defender than Slabhead, Dier or Coady, hes also a club captain.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Southgate's first answer is we needed to cover some of the squad as they aren't yet readily fit. FFS

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Conor Coady (on loan at Everton from Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Harry Maguire (Manchester United)

you don't need blue and white stripe-tinted glasses to name three better English central defenders...who donned the Albion shirt last night...Colwill especially strong

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ok then, let’s look at it another way. Which of our managers in the last 30 years do you think did a better job than Southgate has thus far?

Sam Allardyce
Roy Hodgson
Fabio Capello
Steve McLaren
Sven-Göran Eriksson
Kevin Keegan
Glen Hoddle
Terry Venables
Graham Taylor
Sven obviously.

Made money, banged all the chicks, slapped Germany, didn't win anything, played 4-4-2. All you can expect, and all you should want, from an English national team manager.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Conor Coady (on loan at Everton from Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Harry Maguire (Manchester United)

you don't need blue and white stripe-tinted glasses to name three better English central defenders...who donned the Albion shirt last night...Colwill especially strong
Tbf if I were an England fan (I’m not English) I would have less problem with Coady who is at least playing regularly in the PL and playing well, than someone like Maguire or who is hardly getting a game and when he does, he’s normally dreadful or someone like Phillips whom I don’t think has even played this season.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I’m clearly in the minority here so I respect the collective opinion, but I do find it a little hard to fathom the dismay and animosity towards a manager with far and away the best tournament record since sir Alf left his post 48 years ago.

Yes, we got somewhat lucky with the way the draw fell in those tournaments, but when many of Southgate’s predecessors have failed to make it beyond the group stage or had us knocked out by the likes of Iceland, he deserves some credit, doesn’t he?
He has also been very unlucky with losing some defenders who would certainly be in the squad but for injury.
A while ago we were almost spoilt for choice for fullbacks, now only 1 fit LB !!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FFS

Shaw Maguire Dier Sterling
Sterling was our best player at the Euros?!

In poor form atm but still Chelsea’s top scorer this season and being played at wingback.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course I think Dunky should be given his chance, but of those picked/not picked Mings imho is a better defender than Slabhead, Dier or Coady, hes also a club captain.
Mings is hilariously bad.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sterling was our best player at the Euros?!

In poor form atm but still Chelsea’s top scorer this season and being played at wingback.
Sterling should absolutely be in the squad. Too good to be left out.

Like a pretty much endless amount of English players, he never turned as good as people thought he would, but he's absolutely good enough to be in the England squad and could prove valuable in games where England will have to focus on counter-attacks.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Ok then, let’s look at it another way. Which of our managers in the last 30 years do you think did a better job than Southgate has thus far?

Sam Allardyce
Roy Hodgson
Fabio Capello
Steve McLaren
Sven-Göran Eriksson
Kevin Keegan
Glen Hoddle
Terry Venables
Graham Taylor
If we're talking style of play with the resources available, then there are plenty. Hoddle, Vegetables, Sven to name but three. This determination to choose players on name, not form, is a contradiction and appalling. Add the usual obsession with 2 DMs in there, and alles ist klar.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Mings cannot kick the ball in the direction he is aiming. He also has concentration issues. Maybe he's in the squad to do the team talks alongside Coady?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here