Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England World Cup Squad

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Think those left out are fair decisions, other than Toney who should absolutely be in the squad.

Phillips made his comeback yesterday but him going says a bit about Englands not great central midfield-situation.
I wouldn't take Toney, not with the betting allegations hanging over him. You'd expect the tabloids have some stuff they're keeping back in case he makes the squad

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wouldn't take Toney, not with the betting allegations hanging over him. You'd expect the tabloids have some stuff they're keeping back in case he makes the squad
Well, four days before the squads must be finalised technically speaking. If he was in the squad and they reveal all the shit they may (or more likely may not) have on him, he could just be replaced.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Gareth Southgate has fallen into the same pattern as previous managers. Doesn't matter who is in form, if they don't play for the "big 6" or are his "favourites", they aren't going to the World Cup.

No shocks then.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gareth Southgate has fallen into the same pattern as previous managers. Doesn't matter who is in form, if they don't play for the "big 6" or are his "favourites", they aren't going to the World Cup.

No shocks then.
Maddison ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No shocks then.
Maddison in the squad :shrug:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
No Mings but Maddison and White in on the positive front.

On the negative, Philips really shouldn't be going. Kane and Wilson are our only No 9's

Central defence looks weak.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Maguire? Thought he had retired at Man Utd or gone into hibernation.

And Phillips - don't get me started. My dad has played more football than him this season and he's in his 80's!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Toney is the contentious one for me. The man in form but you wonder whether there is more stuff in the wings along with the betting issue waiting to come out?

Alexander Arnold is just a question of getting his defensive head on. On current form he could be a liability.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
FFS

Shaw Maguire Dier Sterling

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That defence is shocking. His only option is to play a low block with 2 DMs protecting them. Otherwise they will be ripped to shreds. Maybe he has a radical plan of playing a back 6 with Coady and Stones lining up behind Maguire and Dier, Shaw and Trippier providing protection down the flanks, Phillips and Rice in midfield protecting against a frontal assault?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m clearly in the minority here so I respect the collective opinion, but I do find it a little hard to fathom the dismay and animosity towards a manager with far and away the best tournament record since sir Alf left his post 48 years ago.

Yes, we got somewhat lucky with the way the draw fell in those tournaments, but when many of Southgate’s predecessors have failed to make it beyond the group stage or had us knocked out by the likes of Iceland, he deserves some credit, doesn’t he?
A decent manager would have brought back a trophy.

He's a born loser

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here