NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Come on declare ffs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Reason why I would want 600 is because there are months before the next Test. I'd want to sign off with that for the feel good factor. Batsman need to get a move on. They've been given the chance. But we do need a short burst at them.

Broad out. Call them in.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just popped out for a while, why the f**k didn’t root declare earlier? Utter nonsense.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Just popped out for a while, why the f**k didn’t root declare earlier? Utter nonsense.

I think they wanted a dozen or so overs tonight then another go in the morning with the ball still fairly new. Anderson and Broad influence I would assume. When Broad got out they declared leaving 13 overs.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I think they may have wanted 600.

Many months before the next Test. Huge psychological boost to finish on that. Also twelve overs tonight and the ball is still nice and shiny after any early wetness tomorrow (it loses its shine quicker because of the new rules). He called them in because Broad went and they weren't pushing on quick enough. That was the way I was seeing it anyway. I would have wanted 600.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Neither Warne nor Strauss suggested 550 was a minimum declaration score, so I don't buy needing to have reached 600.

We have a motivated, rested and potent bowling attack facing a demoralised Pakistan side. England are precisely where they wanted to be.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But on another day it’s 24-0.

My point was just that even with 500+ on the board, Root’s inclination was to be cautious.

I think it's more scientific than that. The forecast for Tuesday is not great. So England will want to enforce the follow on. I'd want 350+ as a target for that (So 550+), and I want two and bit days to have a go.

I actually thought he may be pushing at 600 for a psychological boost. The next Test is so long away now.

Anyway, the logic seems to have worked. The cherry loses its shine a lot quicker in the new protocols, yet it will still be swinging on the morrow now.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fair point, I wasn’t thinking of it like that.

I saw it simply as Root’s natural instinct being to bat Pakistan out of the game rather than try to win it, despite the fact at 500-5 and with two days played they were already out of the game. We didn’t need to go for 600 if the aim was purely to win this game.

It's an interesting wicket. You'd think it was as flat as a pancake but the ball has been doing stuff at times. You'd hope Bess would come into play but I think the quickies will continue the damage in the first innings for sure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair point, I wasn’t thinking of it like that.

I saw it simply as Root’s natural instinct being to bat Pakistan out of the game rather than try to win it, despite the fact at 500-5 and with two days played they were already out of the game. We didn’t need to go for 600 if the aim was purely to win this game.

Sessions 4 and 5 of this game (pushing on past 500) have GUARANTEED that England have won this series. They have sessions 7 to 15 to ensure they win the Test.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sessions 4 and 5 of this game (pushing on past 500) have GUARANTEED that England have won this series. They have sessions 7 to 15 to ensure they win the Test.

Except 12 - 15 look a wash out, however, 13 wickets in two days is achievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here