Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Pakistan, 3rd test

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
is that 3 dropped catches in 5 minutes denying Jimmy his 5 fer?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
273 all out, follow on

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Michelle arrives finally, 273 ao, follow on to follow?

Great knock by Azhar Ali by the way, a red ink 141 must help your average!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Michelle arrives finally, 273 ao, follow on to follow?

Great knock by Azhar Ali by the way, a red ink 141 must help your average!

I’m not a great fan of the follow on but even I’d enforce now. Get them back out for 7 overs and hopefully take a couple of wickets to give them something to think about overnight.

We have a five man attack and Root can bowl if required.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stumps, bad light

Perhaps the should start at 10:30 tomorrow but no, play starts at 11

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Stumps, bad light

Perhaps the should start at 10:30 tomorrow but no, play starts at 11

Not with the weather forecast for the morning.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’m genuinely lost for words, why on Earth didn’t they start at half 10? Showers are heading towards the ground in the next half hour and it’s not rained for the last hour in Southampton. Unbelievable.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
And unfortunately for Jos, that’ll be the one people go on about not the 2 fantastic catches from yesterday. England’s catching behind the stumps has been shocking all summer to be honest, amazing we’ve won 2 series.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This pitch looks absolutely flat as a pancake, going to need Archer today I think.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They'll go off for 20mins due to rain now, coming back on at 12.50, play for 10mins, then take lunch at 13.00 for 40mins in glorious sunshine.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
MORE RAIN :yawn: ground looks absolutely soaked, but that SHOULD be it for the rain today once this stops shortly.

Imagine this was forecast all along and expected yet they still didn’t take the extra half hour at 10.30am? :facepalm:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Root was and is too negative as a captain, should never have batted on once Buttler was out but we batted on for another 56 runs and took time out of the match. Incredibly negative given the mixed forecast and the fact with that many runs on the board we'd batted them out of the game and were already effectively having won the series.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Root was and is too negative as a captain, should never have batted on once Buttler was out but we batted on for another 56 runs and took time out of the match. Incredibly negative given the mixed forecast and the fact with that many runs on the board we'd batted them out of the game and were already effectively having won the series.

I don't think you can form your tactics around weather forecasts to be honest. Present conditions at the toss yes, but you can't look at a 3 day forecast and form your declaration around that.

I also don't think Root batted on for runs, he didn't want to put too many overs on the new ball that evening, so imho he was thinking about how many overs left in the day and wanted to only put say 15 overs on the new ball that evening, then still have some shine on the ball next morning - that is why it didn't really matter who got out and when, it was about timings rather than runs, yet still giving themselves 3 days 15 overs or so to bowl them out. Might not have been the most aggressive declaration, not sure it was 'incredibly' negative either.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Root is another "cautious" England captain. However, it does make me chuckle to hear pundit Michael Vaughan criticize England decisions as not being brave enough - he was very much of the same mindset when he was in charge on the field.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Let’s be honest apart from Pakistan’s collapse in the evening after being in the field for nearly 2 days this pitch has looked like an absolute road, I agree Root is over cautious as a captain but this pitch is offering pretty much nothing to Broad & Anderson and without Archer on top form and/or a world class spinner it’s going to be very difficult to get 20 wickets on this type of pitch IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here