Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England V Wales

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
At least now when I tune into BBC news tomorrow it won’t feel like I’ve been transported to Wales.
Don't believe it now they are following them like it was a shock they were out. FFS.

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
The higher ranked teams, including England, frequently struggle to open up teams hell bent on narrow defending. At least we've managed to score against some defensive - albeit poor - opposition. The test comes against teams who want to attack us. Like the Albion, I think we may play much better against them. Or I may be allowing my optimism to overrule 60 years of false dawns... Yep, probably that one.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yeah, they're poor, but such a lack of fight, even tonight v us!!
Does that mean we won't see Welsh schoolkids on BBC breakfast every morning?

Did they actually show any schools in England cheering for their country or is that not allowed?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Did they actually show any schools in England cheering for their country or is that not allowed?
It was a special event though. Only another six decades till your next qualification boyos

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Getting through the group stages is almost an entirely different tournament to knock-out football for the seeded teams.

Most of the time you are trying to break down a sea of bodies guarding their goal. No room for expression and creativity. To come through that group like we have is very pleasing. I'll allow for the wobble against the US who really did set up very well.

You saw against Iran and Wales, the moment the games opened EVER SO SLIGHTLY, we had a lovely old time. I'm not for one moment suggesting better teams will be easier for us, but there will certainly be more room for our attacking talents to cause some damage.

There aren't many squads who can boast better than Kane, Rashford, Saka, Grealish, Foden, Sterling, Maddison, Mount etc for attacking options. We go into these knockout games with Kane providing, Rashford on fire, Saka having scored 2, Grealish, Foden and Sterling having scored. Confidence has to be high.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wales fans on TV this morning going on about brilliant they were, how proud they are and what ‘legends’ the players are. You played one reasonable half of football against the USA in the whole tournament. Got battered by England and lost to f***ing Iran. Why are you so proud? You absolutely stunk the place out. Bye bye.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wales fans on TV this morning going on about brilliant they were, how proud they are and what ‘legends’ the players are. You played one reasonable half of football against the USA in the whole tournament. Got battered by England and lost to f***ing Iran. Why are you so proud? You absolutely stunk the place out. Bye bye.
Yes. lets cut the BS, Wales were absolute gash and didn't turn up. When the media start talking about how good their anthem was you know they are hiding from reality.

Compare them to Australia a team with similar players, they may also go out but they have given it a proper go.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021

Yes they showed both English and Welsh schools. Perhaps you were blinded by apparent dislike of Wales? (I am English btw.)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Good solid win against limited opposition. It's been a decent group stage performance overall. Seven points, two clean sheets, nine goals scored by six different players and none of them Kane. If we can get him scoring too then we've got goals from all over and will pose a threat to anyone(provided we're allowed to go for it). We've also been able to give minutes to the majority of the squad which could prove important should we progress deep into the tournament.

All in all very positive.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, I was thinking that. They played quite well in the 2nd half against the USA and apart from that they've been rubbish. Despite that all we hear is how proud they've made every one. What? The 2016 Euros, yes, agreed, that was a tournament to be proud of. This time they've just about edged ahead of Qatar in avoiding the 'Worst Team' award, and a more honest response would be to say "Actually I was hoping we'd have been a bit better." At least we English always say we've been shit - sometimes even when we're not.

I'll tell you what, if we'd been playing Scotland last night no way would they have rolled over like the Welsh did, no matter how shit they were. At the very least we'd have three or four injury doubts for the Senegal game.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Wales were the most immobile team at the WC. Bale, Ramsay and Allen simply weren't fit enough. Moore was one of their best players but has the pace and turning circle of an Eddie Stobart lorry. The only ones who could were Ampadu and James who unfortunately are shite. How James has been deemed worth 30 million is a mystery I'll never solve. Danny Ward was the icing on the cake - The international equivalent of Graeme Smith.

Whilst Italy not making it is highly amusing, It does beg the question how they didn't make it but Dad's Army did.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I saw a tweet on TalkSport declaring them the best fans at the tournament. Mexico, Ecuador, Argentina & Morocco far better for shere noise / amount of them etc

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I saw a tweet on TalkSport declaring them the best fans at the tournament. Mexico, Ecuador, Argentina & Morocco far better for shere noise / amount of them etc
Did you see the Senegal fans the other day? They danced and sang in unison for the entire match. It was quite something.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did you see the Senegal fans the other day? They danced and sang in unison for the entire match. It was quite something.
I saw some of it, apart from seeing some of their fans on the metro no idea where the Ghana / Senegal / Cameroon fans were hanging out the rest of the time !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:lolol:

That’s EXACTLY what my Spurs mate said last night to me after the game

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wales have done incredibly well to reach the World Cup, BUT in the last 5 months Bale and Ramsay have fallen off a cliff and without them Wales are a very ordinary side.

I can't believe how quiet Bale was yesterday - 7 touches in 45 mins - and I fear for them over the next decade. They miss the grit and nous that players like Ashley Williams, Joe Ledley, Robson-Kanu and Chris Gunter used to bring to the side, and now they look lightweight.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Wales have done incredibly well to reach the World Cup, BUT in the last 5 months Bale and Ramsay have fallen off a cliff and without them Wales are a very ordinary side.

I can't believe how quiet Bale was yesterday, and I fear for them over the next decade. They miss the grit and nous that players like Ashley Williams, Joe Ledley, Robson-Kanu and Chris Gunter used to bring to the side, and now they look lightweight.
'Ordinary' is a very charitable analysis of them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bet if it was Earth v Mars at nuclear war you would pick the other side!
Not sure where to begin unwrapping your post ? You have somehow managed to inflate a football tournament in to interplanetary nuclear war ? Calm down dear !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here