Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] England v Wales tonight

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
They used to have 2 games in international break. Why do they now have 3 ?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Plus although another point I am not liking top level football at the moment:

Premier League clubs have splashed around £1.24bn on 107 permanent signings during the summer transfer window

while lower leagues go under.

Its all wrong...........

My immediate reaction was the same, but I was thinking about this earlier.

On the face of it, disgust at the transfer fees in these times is perfectly natural given the concerns for pretty much all but the clubs at the top table (but also extending to non-playing staff at the 'safe' clubs).

BUT the transfer market is pretty much the only way that football wealth is redistributed from the haves to the have nots. If Villa didn't splurge £28m on Watkins, Brentford might struggle. Arguably the real beneficiary there is Exeter, with their sell-on clause (15%?) going a long way to secure their immediate future. There are many other examples I'm sure.

I know many of the transfers are between the clubs with a lot of money and doesn't therefore trickle down, but that just means that the net spend evens things out for all but a few notable examples. The £1.24bn figure is a lot of recycled cash that doesn't leave the industry and does benefit the football pyramid.

What I believe should really be the focus of anger is the continued player wage inflation and astronomical agents' fees. ALL of this is lost to the clubs and is the reason that despite huge amounts of cash sloshing around at the very top, hardly any makes its way down anywhere near the grass roots to support the entire pyramid.

It is absolutely disgusting that a professional club can be wound up for owing what it takes Gareth Bale to 'earn' in a couple of days :rant:

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I had absolutely no idea this was occurring.

Definitely not worth staying up for us expats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was at that match

Wales won 1-0

Their only win at Wembley in 84 years!

Peter Sayer played that night,albeit as a Cardiff City player

Three days later Scotland took Wembley home with them

England have been very consistent over the last 45 years.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That last image

Rix,Coppell,Butcher,Wilkins,Mariner,Thompson,Sansom,Shilton & Mills

Two are missing,I think it's Bilbao '82,so Bryan Robson is one the other escapes me

I remembered them as well . . . and it was Graham, not Brian Rix!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
i used like to watch the England team play, even friendlies, but the fact that they are on ITV more often than not really ruins the match. Their commentators are simply awful, barley mentioning whats happening on the pitch, but are more concerned with ,well anything other than the match in progress. They talk about diet, hairdressing , how wonderful liverpool are, all the drivel that has no bearing on the match in question. At least Martin Tyler is no longer the main commentator, that may improve things. And don't get me started on that god damned awful "England Theme" that they have insisted on using for about 20 years! They have overused it so much that my ears start bleeding when I hear it

I will try to find a stream without ITV commentary, or Sky who are equally as bad. How I long for the days with the old BBC raft of commentators, who knew what they were talking about, knew the players names of both teams, made good informative comments on aspects of the game in progress, and didnt feel it necessary to mention about a million times how wonderful and innovative the dynamic young England managers squad selection is, and contribute to the wankfest over how wonderful bang average international players like Maguire are

Certainly gone downhill since Tyldesley left, I agree.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm looking forward far more to seeing Worthing v Bowers and Pitsea on Saturday live.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Screenshot_20201008-132533.png

Nothing wrong with that kit. Stanmer Park 1982.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well your alternatives are Inside the Factory with Gregg 'The Veg' Wallace (will be taping this) on BBC or The Truth about your Sandwich on C4.

Anything not food related?

And come on Crodo! We all know that today, people consume content via a variety of platforms on pull rather than broadcast basis.

Just think, ten years ago, nobody would have known that that sentence meant.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am asking myself how it has come to this where I am more interested in watching the 2 new Albion signings play for Poland vs Finland than watching England against Wales.

The actions of Greenwood, Foden, Abraham, Sancho and Chilwell are so depressing because players that win World Cups and European championships show better discipline than this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It clashes with Ireland’s MASSIVE play-off game v Slovakia (with potentially THREE Albion players featuring). Bollocks to watching an England game that means nothing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am asking myself how it has come to this where I am more interested in watching the 2 new Albion signings play for Poland vs Finland than watching England against Wales.

The actions of Greenwood, Foden, Abraham, Sancho and Chilwell are so depressing because players that win World Cups and European championships show better discipline than this.

Exactlky this.

DOn't forget slab headed cop bashing bribery boy.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Well your alternatives are Inside the Factory with Gregg 'The Veg' Wallace (will be taping this) on BBC or The Truth about your Sandwich on C4.

Indulging one's interests in both football and sandwiches does not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive...

a41f726749f618cca67e01.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here