Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Wales ..a game where players don't throw themselves to the ground...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
2 sussex born players in the team and I think we should have a claim on Launchbury seeing he learnt the game here.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
England thoroughly deserved to win,but Wales were pretty poor today.
I speak as a Scotland supporter and it was a shame about yesterday.Should have won!

Justice after beating Italy with the last kick?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
that was proper Entertainment this afternoon

don't know how much a ticket costs at Twickenham these days,but that must of been value for money

England so unlucky not to win the Grand Slam this year

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
big congrats to Exeter today

beating Bath in the LV Cup

chasing their first major trophy in their 143 year history :clap2:

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
Interesting to hear those pantomime villains, Robbie Savage and Joey Barton being interviewed at half time at Twickenham. Both expressed surprise that you could sit next to opposition fans, enjoy a beer and a chat and not be subjected to a barrage of bad language. Er, isn't that true of all sports except for Football?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting to hear those pantomime villains, Robbie Savage and Joey Barton being interviewed at half time at Twickenham. Both expressed surprise that you could sit next to opposition fans, enjoy a beer and a chat and not be subjected to a barrage of bad language. Er, isn't that true of all sports except for Football?

and isn't that in part at least as a result of policing policies?
The Amex as a rule seems much less hostile than most grounds and especially so post-match when fans are allowed to mix...... compare and contrast to Millwall.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Both of them being controversial figures and massive windup merchants. They are both part of the reasoning behind segregation and the cause of it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Most fighting between fans you see at sports nowadays is Boxing. I think every fight without fail including in America there has been at least one altercation and at one event it must have been a 40 man brawl.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most fighting between fans you see at sports nowadays is Boxing. I think every fight without fail including in America there has been at least one altercation and at one event it must have been a 40 man brawl.

Football would still have trouble, if it wasn't for very professional policing/stewarding, segregation, extensive cctv and lengthy bans.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I love the Six Nations. Brian O' Driscoll's final game in Dublin for Ireland, a late winner for France in Edinburgh and a full-on England Wales clash that never let up. We got some revenge for that drubbing in Cardiff a year ago and now you know the Welsh will be desperate to beat us in 2015.

And the final week still to come and three possible winners!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
It's also a game where the ref is respected and doesn't take any backchat from the players.

This will be a cracking game.

And when there is any backchat, it's dealt with by the player being sent to the sin bin.

Top flight (football) referees are complete bottle-jobs when it comes to dealing with abuse from players. You don't need a degree in lip reading to work out some of the language that is used. If the referees starting dishing out red cards for foul & abusive language, the problem would soon reduce.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And when there is any backchat, it's dealt with by the player being sent to the sin bin.

Top flight (football) referees are complete bottle-jobs when it comes to dealing with abuse from players. You don't need a degree in lip reading to work out some of the language that is used. If the referees starting dishing out red cards for foul & abusive language, the problem would soon reduce.

Couldn't agree more. It's beyond me why it isn't dealt with. If a player tells you to F off then red card him straight away. Would take no more than one weekend of games for the message to get home.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't agree more. It's beyond me why it isn't dealt with. If a player tells you to F off then red card him straight away. Would take no more than one weekend of games for the message to get home.

Absolutely. One of the most pathetic things I've heard this season came the weekend before last. Darren Ferguson was whinging to the media because his players said the referee told one of them to "**** off" during the game. Ferguson suggested that it was an outrage and that his players deserved more respect, and that "if my lads told the ref to **** off, they'd get a red card straight away".

What a load of rubbish- watch any game on TV and I guarantee you'll see players continually shouting "oh **** off" at decisions they don't agree with. I bet you could find a hundred examples of Fergie's players doing just that this season.

There are usually two arguments I tend to hear when some football fans contend that footballers can't possibly be expected to display the same level of respect for officials that rugby players do. The first is that football is a working class sport whereas rugby is more an upper/middle class thing. I believe that, out of the England XV that played Wales yesterday, no more than 3 went to public or private schools. The rest were all state educated (including at Weald School, Billingshurst, Heathfield Community College, and Beacon School in Crowborough, hardly posh grammar schools).

The second is that, if they cracked down on footballers abusing officials, "we'd be left with six a side". You know what? I'd happily accept that for a couple of weeks whilst they got it into their skulls that it's not acceptable to call a referee a ****ing wanker because he thinks you handled the ball. They'd soon learn. A three year old child learns that if he keeps getting penalised for doing something wrong, he'll stop doing it, so I'm sure even players of Robbie Savage's intellect could crack it eventually, after a couple of goes.

The French rugby team had a player yellow carded the other week and as he walked off, he sarcastically applauded the referee. The French coach dropped him- one of their top players too- for the next game, saying that they could not accept that attitude from someone representing France. I thought that was bloody brilliant.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The quicker Rugby's refereeing disciplines come into football the better, I just can't understand why it is not implemented? as others above have said, if Ref's started red carding players for their back chat comments, it will soon stop, it can only be better for the game.

Some of the worst players for swearing at Ref's are the top players in football, it always amazes me how some of the foreign totally non English speaking players can clearly be seen telling a Ref to **** off!! obviously its the first thing their English teachers must teach them!

If football had the same disciplines as Rugby it would be a far better game for all to watch.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I love the Six Nations. Brian O' Driscoll's final game in Dublin for Ireland, a late winner for France in Edinburgh and a full-on England Wales clash that never let up. We got some revenge for that drubbing in Cardiff a year ago and now you know the Welsh will be desperate to beat us in 2015.

And the final week still to come and three possible winners!

Indeed. For me the 6 nations is my favourite sporting event. Sometimes the rugby isn't technically great but it's nearly always tense, passionate and exciting.

Should be a great final day as well, with three teams playing for the title, Italy always seem to threaten to beat England at home and both Wales and Scotland needing a win to say they've had a good tournament.

As a Wales fan, i'm pretty gutted we were so poor yesterday but tiredness and the persistance with Priestland meant I wasn't very confident yesterday. I shall be cheering on England next week

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I should add that I'm not a massive rugby fan, I don't know what's going on half the time, and it certainly doesn't raise the pulse like watching football generally does, but I would just love to see the likes of John Terry and Ashley Cole having to call the referee "Sir", and being binned off for the first hint of the F word.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Both of them being controversial figures and massive windup merchants. They are both part of the reasoning behind segregation and the cause of it.

How are a couple of pantomime villains 'part of the reasoning behind segregation and the cause of it'? I honestly can't see how you could get anywhere near that kind of thinking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I should add that I'm not a massive rugby fan, I don't know what's going on half the time, and it certainly doesn't raise the pulse like watching football generally does, but I would just love to see the likes of John Terry and Ashley Cole having to call the referee "Sir", and being binned off for the first hint of the F word.

Learn the rules and I guarantee International rugby will raise the pulse as much, if not more than football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here