Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v USA

I'm not anti-English. I hope they win the World Cup. But my football passion is the Albion, not the England team. My interest is in Albion players not Tottenham, Liverpool, Everton players and others who I don't like week in and week out and don't even have to earn their place. I get that Southgate only wants to pick the players he trusts like any other manager. His job depends ultimately on results. I'll watch England and want them to win. But I'm more engaged with how Albion players do, hoping they don't get injured, wanting them to score goals or defend well or be creative, whatever their role. The two strands are that I hope the England team does well, but I don't really need to watch them. I hope the Albion players do well and I do want to watch them. Same as I used to watch Sully, Lawrenson, Grealish play for their country back in the day.
I think we all do the same with regards to watching our players at the World Cup, but some have literally said 'oh, I don't care for England anymore, they play for so and so' - Apart from Maddison, I'd say it's a pretty likeable England team. Also, it really doesn't bother me where these players play. Our best player could come from the Croydon scum and I'd still put that aside for the love of watching my country play.

I suppose that's the thing though - we didn't need to make something of the game. A point last night has basically seen us qualify - as the only way we won't is if we lose by more than three goals to the Welsh, and let's be honest, that isn't going to happen. That's his, and the players main aim at this stage - qualify without taking too much out of themselves.
I think you should go into every game looking to win. Not going into a game knowing playing silly buggers with the tactics and selection will get you at least enough to qualify.

I’m not anti-English, I’m just very frustrated with the ineptitude of a clueless manager who is wasting the players at his disposal. His defensive, risk averse football was consigned to the bin three seasons ago, it’s now about quick passes and movement. He just hasn’t realised it.
To make matters worse the quality of teams at this World Cup are a lot better than the last and way better than the Euro’s. We have been left behind and fucks me off to the nth degree. It’s criminal!

… and breath.
I agree with everything you've said.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think we all do the same with regards to watching our players at the World Cup, but some have literally said 'oh, I don't care for England anymore, they play for so and so' - Apart from Maddison, I'd say it's a pretty likeable England team. Also, it really doesn't bother me where these players play. Our best player could come from the Croydon scum and I'd still put that aside for the love of watching my country play.
Which is fine but why do you ask for everyone else to feel the same way? Not everyone turns into something resembling a caged masturbating chimp whenever they see the colours of their flag or the name of their country.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Are you still here? Strange if people aren't. Why do you think they are not?
Why is it strange if people aren't? Nationality is random. You haven't accomplished anything, you was just born in a random location. Your country isn't much better or worse than any other country, and that goes for all countries. Why would anyone be proud over some artifical borders made up by kings and politicians centuries ago?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm not anti-English. I hope they win the World Cup. But my football passion is the Albion, not the England team. My interest is in Albion players not Tottenham, Liverpool, Everton players and others who I don't like week in and week out and don't even have to earn their place. I get that Southgate only wants to pick the players he trusts like any other manager. His job depends ultimately on results. I'll watch England and want them to win. But I'm more engaged with how Albion players do, hoping they don't get injured, wanting them to score goals or defend well or be creative, whatever their role. The two strands are that I hope the England team does well, but I don't really need to watch them. I hope the Albion players do well and I do want to watch them. Same as I used to watch Sully, Lawrenson, Grealish play for their country back in the day.

That's being very pedantic.
thats being very accurate
Why is it strange if people aren't? Nationality is random. You haven't accomplished anything, you was just born in a random location. Your country isn't much better or worse than any other country, and that goes for all countries. Why would anyone be proud over some artifical borders made up by kings and politicians centuries ago?
and is the second biggest cause of war other than stupidity... Really find it strange that people quite often blame religion for issues but then show strong nationalistic tendencies....

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think you’re a horrible rule breaker. You’re not allowed to say what you said. Disgusting.

(Also I rushed straight to this thread and copied the title. Obviously I should have checked the last page, my bad x)
Close as I will get to bring a rule breaker. Although I didn't salute a magpie once.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Are you still here? Strange if people aren't. Why do you think they are not?

- The feeling that a country is too much of a nebulous concept to fully support

- A feeling that their country doesn’t align with them either culturally or politically.

- Mixed heritage leaving people feeling like they lack one core national identity

- The understanding that they have as much control over their nationality of birth as they did their month of birth, eye colour or height.

- An uneasiness with the Jingoistic overtones that sadly often go hand in hand with blind patriotism.

- Shame about either the past actions of their country or the current actions of the country.

- An understanding that countries are merely lines drawn in sand hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.

- A mixture of any number of the above categories plus more I’m sure I’ve forgot.
:shrug:

Which is fine but why do you ask for everyone else to feel the same way? Not everyone turns into something resembling a caged masturbating chimp whenever they see the colours of their flag or the name of their country.
You really are a wanker. I didn't ask for everyone else to feel the same way, I just said I don't get it and wanted to know peoples opinions as to why. There's no need to be such a patronising twat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here