Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Venue:Al Bayt Stadium

K/O: 2pm EST in the USA (7pm in the UK)

Friday November 25th

Thoughts and predictions?

Obviously I will be cheering on the USA and after today we really need to get a result in this one if we want to have any chance of moving on. England has the superior talent and if they come to play, it will be very hard for us. We need to work the channels more in this one, and Ream needs to sit out, will get murdered by Kane and company.

Thoughts?

Hope for a safe, well played game from both countries and good luck from this Ex-colonial:p

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Venue:Al Bayt Stadium

K/O: 2pm EST in the USA(9pm in the UK)

Friday November 25th

Thoughts and predictions?

Obviously I will be cheering on the USA and after today we really need to get a result in this one if we want to have any chance of moving on. England has the superior talent and if they come to play, it will be very hard for us. We need to work the channels more in this one, and Ream needs to sit out, will get murdered by Kane and company.

Thoughts?

Hope for a safe, well played game from both countries and good luck from this Ex-colonial:p
It’s 7pm in the UK

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Watched the Japan v USA friendly two months ago that Japan won 2-0 with Mitoma scoring.

USA were shit. Should be another cricket score.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wow, 'arrogant England fans' I thought they'd died out in the 2000s with the 'Golden Generation'. Hopefully Popeye won't be gleefully bouncing this thread if we don't win by a cricket score. Don't forget we've never beaten the USA in a competitive match, (lost one and drawn one). And that loss was when we were overwhelming favourites. And we weren't exactly the underdogs in 2010 either.

Having said that I can't see us losing this time, but on the other hand I don't think it'll be the walk in the park some are expecting. I think the USA will get at least one goal, hopefully it won't be the first one as then we'll be in for a frustrating 'forwards v defenders' match trying to claw something back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Will be a far harder game than Iran. I’d take a scrappy 1-0 so that we don’t have to worry about the “home nation” factor v Wales.

US should have too much for Iran

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
USA looked very good first half energetic in midfield but very average second half.
Keiffer Moore changed the game.
Would be disappointed it we didn`t win Friday but still concerned about our defence, you could have driven a bus through the middle second half.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
am i right US are bit ropey at the back, a lot of fizz going forward? could be a high scoring game with our iffy defense, but their leaving lots of space for our decent forwards.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Wow, 'arrogant England fans' I thought they'd died out in the 2000s with the 'Golden Generation'. Hopefully Popeye won't be gleefully bouncing this thread if we don't win by a cricket score. Don't forget we've never beaten the USA in a competitive match, (lost one and drawn one). And that loss was when we were overwhelming favourites. And we weren't exactly the underdogs in 2010 either.

Having said that I can't see us losing this time, but on the other hand I don't think it'll be the walk in the park some are expecting. I think the USA will get at least one goal, hopefully it won't be the first one as then we'll be in for a frustrating 'forwards v defenders' match trying to claw something back.
Based on yesterday's performance I thought the USA's goal threat against Wales was minimal. It could be a one off game, and teams can improve as tournaments go on. But when you look at their results this year, they've had some big wins against weak opposition, but they've drawn 0-0 with Saudi, Uruguay, Mexico, 1-1 with El Salvador, and had goalless defeats to Japan, Costa Rica, and Canada. They're not a free scoring side and I don't think it's arrogant to say I'd be disappointed if England concede a goal to the USA.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Based on yesterday's performance I thought the USA's goal threat against Wales was minimal. It could be a one off game, and teams can improve as tournaments go on. But when you look at their results this year, they've had some big wins against weak opposition, but they've drawn 0-0 with Saudi, Uruguay, Mexico, 1-1 with El Salvador, and had goalless defeats to Japan, Costa Rica, and Canada. They're not a free scoring side and I don't think it's arrogant to say I'd be disappointed if England concede a goal to the USA.
It's the 'cricket score', 'piss the group' comments that I was picking up on. Typical England, we have one good performance (how many wins had we had recently before Iran?) and we put the bunting up. Yes, if it all goes according to the formbook we should beat USA (and Wales) quite comfortably, but confidently extrapolating future results always leaves one a hostage to fortune.

I too will be disappointed if we concede, but the one thing I will say is that under Southgate, ok, we still struggle to beat top teams, but we ARE better against the weaker ones than we have been historically. Still not expecting a cricket score though.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It's the 'cricket score', 'piss the group' comments that I was picking up on. Typical England, we have one good performance (how many wins had we had recently before Iran?) and we put the bunting up. Yes, if it all goes according to the formbook we should beat USA (and Wales) quite comfortably, but confidently extrapolating future results always leaves one a hostage to fortune.

I too will be disappointed if we concede, but the one thing I will say is that under Southgate, ok, we still struggle to beat top teams, but we ARE better against the weaker ones than we have been historically. Still not expecting a cricket score though.
Yeah I don't expect a cricket score. But in all honesty I think our ability to keep clean sheets over the next two games is probably more important than our attacking threat. I think the contenders of this tournament would probably fancy their chances of scoring against us at the moment, but if we can tighten up and keep a couple of clean sheets it might give those teams something to think about in any potential knockout games.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
USA looked pretty poor in that second half and not that special in the first.

Mckennie and Adams are decent in the middle.

Think it will be an easy win if we keep the same tempo.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Always a difficult fixture for me, don't know which side I should be cheering. All I know is that whoever wins in the end, that was who I was rooting for the whole time...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Harry Kane is set to have a scan on his right ankle before Friday's World Cup game with the United States.

Kane is set to have the scan on Wednesday to assess the extent of the problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63724625

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here