Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v USA

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
cant really see why he's taken Foden if he wont play him. like not playing Gerrard or Gascoigne. im not a Henderson knocker but knew where this was heading when he came on, just as we needed some energy to spark the game to life.
We actually played some football when Henderson came on, he got the more creative first11/subs into the game. Until then the US controlled the ball and game.

Foden plays far further upfield, he should’ve started, perhaps instead of Mount.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He's good at league 2 bully boy defending, like a pound shop Dunk, withiut the penalties.

Imagine if White and webster were the central defence. By comparisson it really would be just like watching Brazil.
Not a fan of him at all but slabhead was best English player...very dominant at the back for corners. Need a much more mobile attack.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What a bloody weird way of thinking. I don't get some on this board. Why would anyone support another country over their own, just because some of our clubs players play for them.

As much as I love the Ecuador contingent, this whole anti-English nonsense on here is grating on me big time. I just don't get it.
Not everyone on this forum is English....

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
The tournament is so much more enjoyable when folk don't let themselves get stressed out over England. We are a reasonably decent (yet over-hyped as ever) team. Quarter Finals material. A bit of luck could take us further- as it could for a good number of other teams.
That's England in a nutshell isn't it? Southgate should be lauded for how far he's taken us in tournaments. That's the only measure of success for me.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
That's England in a nutshell isn't it? Southgate should be lauded for how far he's taken us in tournaments. That's the only measure of success for me.
The guy has managed to beat one half-decent, albeit on-the-wane, side in tournament football with England- Germany, at Wembley last summer. Rest of them have either been the quality of the team superceding him or us bottling it due to his ineptitude. In my opinion.

Spain/Argentina/Brazil/France will beat us if we face them, no doubt.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Disappointing result. I'm glad I didn't get up at 4a.m for that. It wouldn't have been England though if we'd sauntered through the game and qualified with a game to spare.

It's just a shame that we didn't take the opportunity to build some real momentum.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Southgate is tactically inept, he is a chancer, boring sage pair of hands with no imagination or intelligence to read the game beyond the half way line.
Southgate is a a fraud, a puppet, a sage pair or hands for the English FA, he failed us as a player, twice…
60F7BB67-09DE-4380-9CDB-C9C12467372A.jpeg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
cant really see why he's taken Foden if he wont play him. like not playing Gerrard or Gascoigne. im not a Henderson knocker but knew where this was heading when he came on, just as we needed some energy to spark the game to life.

I thought Henderson was a really smart sub, Bellingham might as well not have been in the pitch really, and together with Grealish sparked some life into them for the final 15. Up to Henderson coming on it was all US, so can hardly complain about that one

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'It's the result that counts'.

But is that really all that matters?
Yes, we did get a point. Yes, we are nearer qualification.

But there must be more to football than what we were served up with last night.

Would you rather eat porridge for breakfast (ok, it fills you up and sticks to your ribs), or would you rather have a full English?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
'It's the result that counts'.

But is that really all that matters?
Yes, we did get a point. Yes, we are nearer qualification.

But there must be more to football than what we were served up with last night.

Would you rather eat porridge for breakfast (ok, it fills you up and sticks to your ribs), or would you rather have a full English?
Porridge cleans the arteries, lowers cholesterol, no brainer at our time of life Eric. Sacrifice flavour for the best result.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What a bloody weird way of thinking. I don't get some on this board. Why would anyone support another country over their own, just because some of our clubs players play for them.

As much as I love the Ecuador contingent, this whole anti-English nonsense on here is grating on me big time. I just don't get it.
I'm not anti-English. I hope they win the World Cup. But my football passion is the Albion, not the England team. My interest is in Albion players not Tottenham, Liverpool, Everton players and others who I don't like week in and week out and don't even have to earn their place. I get that Southgate only wants to pick the players he trusts like any other manager. His job depends ultimately on results. I'll watch England and want them to win. But I'm more engaged with how Albion players do, hoping they don't get injured, wanting them to score goals or defend well or be creative, whatever their role. The two strands are that I hope the England team does well, but I don't really need to watch them. I hope the Albion players do well and I do want to watch them. Same as I used to watch Sully, Lawrenson, Grealish play for their country back in the day.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I don't like the way porridge is being used as a disparaging comparison to yesterday's game. I started a thread on here that demonstrates the huge variety of delicious ways to prepare this healthy and cheap delicacy.
I’m with you on that. Banana, blueberries, raspberries etc. Lovely stuff. In the winter you feel warm inside after eating it, the polar opposite of watching last nights fare.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The guy has managed to beat one half-decent, albeit on-the-wane, side in tournament football with England- Germany, at Wembley last summer. Rest of them have either been the quality of the team superceding him or us bottling it due to his ineptitude. In my opinion.

Spain/Argentina/Brazil/France will beat us if we face them, no doubt.
We’ll win he group, there is absolutely no chance we’re not beating Wales, they are gash.
However watching last night when we come up against a really dynamic and energetic team who are full of running and movement then we’re going out - that could easily be Equador or Senegal, I’d actually prefer to meet Holland.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Do they sell Ecuador shirts in the Club shop? I need one!
I ordered an Ecuador shirt online at the start of the World Cup last week. Just received an email saying it’s been shipped - from China! I don’t hold out much hope of getting it before the end of the World Cup, or ever! If it does arrive, I’m pretty sure it won’t be the genuine article.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A team typically plays to the image of the coach, for Southgate that = drab, boring and risk averse.
However whoever the coach is they would face the same problem - Kane. I’m not sure there’s a more overrated ‘super’ striker in international football. Tonight he was at his absolute worst, insisting on dropping deep, no pace, attempting ridiculous flicks or through balls when he just needs to keep a ball moving. Then when ‘the chance’ finally arrives he absolutely fucks it up. Flat track bully, NEVER turns up when really needed, restricts how England (and Spurs) can play, should have been hooked, Wilson would run the channels at least.

Classic Kanes the problem post.

Anything that was going to happen last night Kane was going to be starting it/ involved in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here