Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Italy UEFA Euros qualifier 7.45

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Because Sampdoria had a white away kit, so we wore our black away kit in order not to create confusion.
Random question as you're here as a Juve fan - John Charles - is he the greatest Juve legend of all time?

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Don’t Sampdoria normally play in blue, they used to in the Graeme Souness days at least?
Yep, that's their home kit. Honestly I didn't pay much attention to it at the time (and I like our away kit so I didn't mind), but I don't know why we were the ones switching to our away kit to fit their away kit, instead of them going back to their blue home kit and us keeping our home kit, given that we were at home.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah it's interesting how well Italy do consistently. I posted that they were as bad as I have seen, but you could've said that over the last ten or so years. Yet, they're always there or thereabouts. They're a results machine.
this Italian team is possibly the weakest I can remember. If we can get through, genuinely think Ukraine have a chance to grab the other spot.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I've not had the pleasure of reading the thread but I've got my bingo card ready. I need the following for the full house:

Southgate is clueless
Palace muppet/wanker etc
England are shit
I want Italy to win
Kane is shit
Kane is a cheating bastard
Worst Italian team in history
England were lucky
I think that nearly covers all bases. You just needed;

England have an easy draw
We never beat anyone decent
I’m supporting Ecuador in the Euros

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thank god for that World Cup because a lot of international football is utter dross.
How people can get excited about it I do not know.
Spoken like a true Premier League fan! There's a reason why when you look at the flags of the England fans they're mainly from places like Exeter and Ipswich. For the fans of 'little' clubs watching England is a chance to see some (relatively) decent football and support good players.

However, yes, your point, sadly, is valid. For those of us who support top Premier League teams where we're used to seeing good football and used to seeing and supporting international players week in week out England games are DIRE!

However they're still my local country, the place where I was born, so I continue to support them. And the first half was good!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Apart from the slightly odd yellows late on I was delighted with the amount of decisions the ref gave us. Allowed for a lot of strong challenges by england to go where as other refs would have called a foul. Didn't punish Rice for the high foot which he quite easily could have done Rightly gave us the pen on review. Punished the Italians for a lot of niggle fouls that they may have expected to get away with at home in front of a naples crowd. I can think of 3 or 4 times where Bellingham was caught on the ball and it was probably a foul on him, and the gave it. They are the usual 60/40 ones where you expect the ref to side with the home team.

In my opinion the walker and Shaw yellows were slightly harsh but not exactly terrible decisions. justified. Walker pretended the ball nearest him wasn't suitable for throwing so went to get another. Booked. Shaw absolutely PLODDED over to the touchline to take the throw in. Yellow. The second yellow was also spot on.
Rice's yellow was wrong.
I'm delighted with the win. I'm pleased for Southgate. Proved me wrong over the choice of Phillips as he often does about many of my initial criticisms of his selections.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just wondering, at what stage would you have brought on 0 capped Solly March in that game? Or would you just go with him from the start?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apart from the slightly odd yellows late on I was delighted with the amount of decisions the ref gave us. Allowed for a lot of strong challenges by england to go where as other refs would have called a foul. Didn't punish Rice for the high foot which he quite easily could have done Rightly gave us the pen on review. Punished the Italians for a lot of niggle fouls that they may have expected to get away with at home in front of a naples crowd. I can think of 3 or 4 times where Bellingham was caught on the ball and it was probably a foul on him, and the gave it. They are the usual 60/40 ones where you expect the ref to side with the home team.

In my opinion the walker and Shaw yellows were slightly harsh but not exactly terrible decisions. justified. Walker pretended the ball nearest him wasn't suitable for throwing so went to get another. Booked. Shaw absolutely PLODDED over to the touchline to take the throw in. Yellow. The second yellow was also spot on.
Rice's yellow was wrong.
I'm delighted with the win. I'm pleased for Southgate. Proved me wrong over the choice of Phillips as he often does about many of my initial criticisms of his selections.
Proved you wrong - did you think Phillips should have started then?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Proved you wrong - did you think Phillips should have started then?
Proved me wrong, had a good game until midway through the second half when he should have been subbed imo as he looked knackered to me :shrug:

England were great in the first half, but totally lost their way for a large part of the second. Apart from the goal Italy never really threatened, was that because they are a bit shite or because England are solid, or a bit of both?

Watchable game but the football was way off the quality I am used to these days :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've not had the pleasure of reading the thread but I've got my bingo card ready. I need the following for the full house:

Southgate is clueless
Palace muppet/wanker etc
England are shit
I want Italy to win
Kane is shit
Kane is a cheating bastard
Worst Italian team in history
England were lucky
I think you’ll find my posts on the thread covered most of those :wink:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No. I thought he shouldn't even be in the squad based on playing time this season. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw he was starting.

Gareth knows more than me.
@Icy Gull really!? I thought he was well off the pace. Start of the second half he was the main reason we lost the midfield against probably the worse Italy team in history. He was lucky Rice and Bellingham had decent enough games.

We play 3 midfielders like Rice / Phillips / Bellingham, but we don't need them to be half as negatively minded as Southgate has them playing.

As for England and the 'dark arts' - it was like watching Villa's 1-2 at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here