Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v India, Fourth Test match, The Oval, 02-06 September

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Time for Ollie and the Burnley Lara to replay the last stand at Cardiff

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A capitulation started by a crazy and unnecessary run-out.

Sad and inevitable in equal measure.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
I find the odds for this are quite incredible, I've had quite a significant bet on India to win. To put into context this would be ENglands highest ever 4th innings run chase and one of the top 10 of anyone ever, all of this with a very talented Indian bowling line up and an incredibly fragile batting order. The chances of an England win are very unlikely, much more unlikely than India taking 10 wickets and yet India are only very marginal favourite. Once one wicket goes it is very possible/probabe others will follow and as pressure builds it will likely create a domino effect. Laying England at a little over 5/2 on the exchanges looks very good value as does backing India at slightly over 2/1.

I hope some others were profitable with Pierres picks.

:clap2:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Blame the run out, blame the ECB.

Ultimately India are the better team aren't they. They stuffed us at their place. They've looked the better team in all but one tests here. India a decent all round unit.

England, miles behind the best 3 teams, but on a par probably with WI, and Pakistan. Probably currently ahead of SA and SL

Getting some of our bowlers fit would help, but basic batting technique the critical issue.

We'll be murdered in the ashes

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Shambles.

Ah well, over to the Sussex game….

…ah.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Blame the run out, blame the ECB.

Ultimately India are the better team aren't they. They stuffed us at their place. They've looked the better team in all but one tests here. India a decent all round unit.

England, miles behind the best 3 teams, but on a par probably with WI, and Pakistan. Probably currently ahead of SA and SL

Getting some of our bowlers fit would help, but basic batting technique the critical issue.

We'll be murdered in the ashes

It's hard to recall may weaker batting options than we're currently enduring. If you take Root out it really doesn't feel like much better than a county side line up.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Another sorry end and hopes dashed. 100 - 0 to 210 all out and 10 wickets lost in two sessions again.

I suppose we can say that we were missing Archer and Stokes this series but then India haven't even had to use their best bowler. What happened to our once proud Test home record ??? :cry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Getting some of our bowlers fit would help

That's down to Root - he over-bowls his pace bowlers. Anderson and Robinson were out on the feet yesterday and still running in, barely hitting 80mph.

Look at the current injury list: Archer, Broad, Wood, Stone - that's not a coincidence.

You need a spinner to tie up an end and give pace bowlers short bursts. It also helps if you have a seamer who can tie an end up too - a Shackleton, a Hendrick, a Fraser.

I fear for our team in Australia, our pace attack is going to get completely burned out on hard Aussie wickets

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That's down to Root - he over-bowls his pace bowlers. Anderson and Robinson were out on the feet yesterday and still running in, barely hitting 80mph.

Look at the current injury list: Archer, Broad, Wood, Stone - that's not a coincidence.

You need a spinner to tie up an end and give pace bowlers short bursts. It also helps if you have a seamer who can tie an end up too - a Shackleton, a Hendrick, a Fraser.

I fear for our team in Australia, our pace attack is going to get completely burned out on hard Aussie wickets

Good point about the pace bowler burn out. Not helped by our batsman rarely getting through a day, so our bowlers are back out so quickly.

Moeen unfortunately didn’t bowl well and offers no control. Leach is a far better bowler, but with Stokes out of the side, we tend to look more towards Moeen to strengthen our batting.

The truth is though Moeen is neither test standard with his batting or bowling.

Leach lengthens the tail, but I’d rather us pick our best spinner.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Forgetting result great cricket for 5 days. Fantastic to see a full house on day 5 even if most were Indian

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Leach lengthens the tail, but I’d rather us pick our best spinner.

So would I. It's particularly bizarre when most of the seamers can bat: Woakes, Overton and Robinson have all scored FC 100s, when you have a tail like that, you can afford a non-batter ... and Leach is far from the worst tailender

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So would I. It's particularly bizarre when most of the seamers can bat: Woakes, Overton and Robinson have all scored FC 100s, when you have a tail like that, you can afford a non-batter ... and Leach is far from the worst tailender

That 1 not out v Australia is legendary.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That 1 not out v Australia is legendary.

Indeed. One of the great tailend innings.

I'm not suggesting that we should completely ignore batting ability - I still shudder when I think of one test when we had Malcolm, Mullally and Tufnell as nine, ten, jack - but bowling should be the prime consideration.

England have a habit of picking players who can bat and bowl but not quite in test class at either - Miller, Marks, Pringle, Irani, Hollioake etc Moeen is actually better than most of these but isn't really what we need.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Indeed. One of the great tailend innings.

I'm not suggesting that we should completely ignore batting ability - I still shudder when I think of one test when we had Malcolm, Mullally and Tufnell as nine, ten, jack - but bowling should be the prime consideration.

England have a habit of picking players who can bat and bowl but not quite in test class at either - Miller, Marks, Pringle, Irani, Hollioake etc Moeen is actually better than most of these but isn't really what we need.

I like Moeen as a person and one day cricketer, but for tests I’d only use him as a second spinner if the pitch was a big turner.

In addition to Leach’s 1 not out he also scored 80 or 90 against Ireland at Lords as night watchman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here