Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** England v India *** 2nd Spicy Test at Lords 17th -21st SS2 11am

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The captains in county cricket are invariably either from overseas or England rejects, and over 30 in almost every case.

I worry that with the retirement of Swann and the demise of Matt Prior the importance of Stuart Broad has never been so great. He is the logical choice as captain if Cook stands down, but could any player handle captaincy duties, opening the bowling and consistently halting a batting collapse?

If he took the role on something else would have to give, i.e. the one-day game. It has been done before, but mainly on the sub-continent, i.e. Kapil Dev, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram. These were exceptional men with exceptional leadership qualities - I don't know if Broad is made of the same stuff but he might be worth a try.

It would certainly be an easier decision if there was an opening bat crying out to be picked, but there isn't.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The captains in county cricket are invariably either from overseas or England rejects, and over 30 in almost every case.

I worry that with the retirement of Swann and the demise of Matt Prior the importance of Stuart Broad has never been so great. He is the logical choice as captain if Cook stands down, but could any player handle captaincy duties, opening the bowling and consistently halting a batting collapse?

If he took the role on something else would have to give, i.e. the one-day game. It has been done before, but mainly on the sub-continent, i.e. Kapil Dev, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram. These were exceptional men with exceptional leadership qualities - I don't know if Broad is made of the same stuff but he might be worth a try.

It would certainly be an easier decision if there was an opening bat crying out to be picked, but there isn't.

So what? What is this big issue with over 30? Mike Hussey was 30 when he made his test debut - would you not have picked him? Chris Rogers 31…We chuck youngsters in for a few games and they get discarded and forgotten, but as the years pass who knows how their frame of mind changes for tackling international cricket. Discard a 22 year old doesn't preclude you from taking a look at them 10 years later.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So what? What is this big issue with over 30? Mike Hussey was 30 when he made his test debut - would you not have picked him? Chris Rogers 31…We chuck youngsters in for a few games and they get discarded and forgotten, but as the years pass who knows how their frame of mind changes for tackling international cricket. Discard a 22 year old doesn't preclude you from taking a look at them 10 years later.

I haven't got a problem with selecting players over 30, but in terms of captains you're talking well over 30 and done with England - i.e. Key, Joyce, Collingwood, Foster, Tredwell, Chapple, Trescothick, Chris Read, Troughton. Right now it's a captaincy crisis.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Bring back Pieterson, who cares if he's not liked, its not coronation street, its about winning games.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Prior :facepalm: Poor shot

MJ Prior c Dhawan b Mohammed Shami 23

Eng 265/7

30 behind

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
8 down. Stokes goes without troubling the scorer

BA Stokes b Kumar 0

Eng 276/8 19 behind. Will we get a first innings lead?

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh dear. 9 down.

Broad's entire innings: 4-W

Broad c Dhawan b Kumar 4

280/9, still 15 behind

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Why did Jordan get dropped for Stokes?

I said in my opening post im not sure how stokes could get in with his poor batting average but they went with him Probably due to the fact Jordan did not take any wickets in the previous test which is bloody daft considering the flatness of the pitch , the england management should be ashamed of themselves after the level of performances he put in previously , hopefully his confidence wont be put back and he gets another shot in the next test .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
2 quick wickets back to back 118/3

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here