Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***England v Chile Matchday Thread***

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
In fairness I gather that was pretty well a full strength Chile side, it was nowhere near a full strength England side.

That's pretty much going to be the squad that goes to Brazil, give or take 1 or 2 players so I don't expect too much from England. You have to feel sorry for the thousands of England supporters who'll be spending thousands to follow their team only to be served up dross like tonight.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Whether you beat Brazil or lose to Chile, don't read too much in to a friendly....

I'm not-just can't get enthused about England any more. Especially when they play like they did tonight.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Distinctly average and it makes me feel very meh about the national side, sadly :(

boik

Weird thing was, although Chile were good to watch (apart from their niggly-ness), Forster didn't have anything to do. Just checked and they only had 4 shots on target which was less than us. Don't think they'll be the most scary of the teams in Brazil.

Hopefully Roy and the boys can learn from it because we made it too easy for them. Oh well, only Germany next!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
In fairness I gather that was pretty well a full strength Chile side, it was nowhere near a full strength England side.

Chile were missing two of their best players

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
England will certainly play a significantly stronger starting XI on Tuesday. Hart, Townsend and Gerrard should all be back for starters and they will come up against opponents will play a more direct, Bayern Munich-esque style.

Tonight didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know. England don't have much strength in depth and are not overflowing with options up front, nor do they have as strong a defence as 5-6 years ago and there is not much adequate cover/competition for Joe Hart. But the age old problem is the ongoing issue, keeping possession of the ball. England are too sloppy and while you can get away with that in qualifiers, the top 10-12 teams in the world can really hurt you when you do that, as Chile did tonight and as Germany did in 2010.

Chile look like a good team and I think they, along with all of the South American nations that qualify, will have a decent World Cup and if the draw works out well for them, they definitely are one of those teams that could tick the 'surprise packet' boxes for the tournament by having a run to the last eight. They were missing one of their best players tonight as well, Arturo Vidal of Juventus.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Oh well, we were shite tonite! Not looking forward to tuesday!!

Germany are a completely different proposition in friendlies. We'll probably beat them 3-0 on Tuesday. Followed by a section of the media/public creaming themselves. Then when we play them next summer....well, you know the rest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Recorded the match and only watched the goals, as wife had Children in Need on, but I must say although I dont blame him entirely I thought the keeper was poor and could and should have done better with both goals.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Recorded the match and only watched the goals, as wife had Children in Need on, but I must say although I dont blame him entirely I thought the keeper was poor and could and should have done better with both goals.

I've only seen the first goal. No goalkeeper in the world would have saved that header.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just thought that he was very slow getting down to it as the ball was in the net before he dived to where it was . Perhaps I expect too much as for your view no keeper would have saved it I honestly think that Kuszczak would have got much nearer and possibly saved it.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Highlights on now. Shouldn't take very long.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I just thought that he was very slow getting down to it as the ball was in the net before he dived to where it was . Perhaps I expect too much as for your view no keeper would have saved it I honestly think that Kuszczak would have got much nearer and possibly saved it.

You might be right regarding the 2nd goal. The first was unstoppable from such close range. Right in the bottom corner.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I said my point was that he was very slow getting down to try to save it but it is only an opinion and that is what helps make football so popular as everybody has an opinion.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
i really don't care that much about England friendlies, but Shirley now, it's about time Roy realised Milner should not be allowed anywhere near an England squad.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
i really don't care that much about England friendlies, but Shirley now, it's about time Roy realised Milner should not be allowed anywhere near an England squad.

I wouldn't say I was particularly a fan of Milner myself, but Hodgson will always have a player of his ilk in the squad because of England's problem in retaining possession. He is someone more likely to track back and support the full back defensively, which is not always guaranteed with England's other attack minded wide players. The problem is that Milner offers little as an attacking threat because he cannot beat full backs with pace and his crossing is hit and miss. Because of the limitations of his squad though, Hodgson knows he has a tough balancing act because while he has more talented players at his disposal, they are not necessarily going to be much help when England don't have the ball, which in a major tournament will in all likelihood be for more than 50% of the time that the ball is in play during the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here