Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Obviously I don't wanna endlessly argue over these things, but I would actually say dirt is very similar to sandpaper.
Different strokes.

For me it's all about premeditation and intent. Athers picking up some dirt off the ground halfway through a day and thinking I'll rough the ball up a bit is a world apart from the premeditation of actually purchasing some sandpaper, sneaking it into your kitbag, then hiding it to take out onto the field of play.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seems madness we risked Anderson given he missed the Ireland game with this calf problem. He tore it on 02 July, he's 37, injuries simply don't heal up as quick as a decade before. I was sure he wouldn't make this test.

This is a 5 day Aussie test match and he's lasted 4 overs. Has he kept it to himself that it would be fine? Have the medical staff missed it in fitness tests? 4 weeks seems a very short amount of time to be cleared for a 5 day test match. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, but can't help think someone should have made the tough call on this one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He got caught (his players got caught).

Broad and Anderson in 2010-

Atherton was also fined for rubbing dirt into the ball, as I am sure you know.

What the three Aussies did was daft as a brush, but that kind of cheating has been going on for ages.
He might be thick as shit but he's an outstanding batsman whatever you think about that incident. He served his time, and he s now taking the Aussies to a defendable total single handledly.

‘Daft as a brush’...... now that’s funny for a bunch of cheating ****s.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Seems madness we risked Anderson given he missed the Ireland game with this calf problem. He tore it on 02 July, he's 37, injuries simply don't heal up as quick as a decade before. I was sure he wouldn't make this test.

This is a 5 day Aussie test match and he's lasted 4 overs. Has he kept it to himself that it would be fine? Have the medical staff missed it in fitness tests? 4 weeks seems a very short amount of time to be cleared for a 5 day test match. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, but can't help think someone should have made the tough call on this one.
He must have surely passed some sort of fitness test. It might just be that it’s a reoccurring breakdown. These things happen or if there was doubt then the medical team will have a lot to answer for. It will be hard with a bowler down now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The last 10 years at least we have been relying on Broad and Anderson to be our frontline bowlers, Jimmy in particular has been used " sparingly " outside of the Tests for many years. I think this was probably his last hurrah whatever happened over the five Tests and no one was going to deny him his last summer in the sun.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Finally! A Captains innings. A dog's dinner by the England Captain.
Not easy after losing our greatest ever bowler due to injury at the start.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For me it's all about premeditation and intent. Athers picking up some dirt off the ground halfway through a day and thinking I'll rough the ball up a bit is a world apart from the premeditation of actually purchasing some sandpaper, sneaking it into your kitbag, then hiding it to take out onto the field of play.
This, plus the fact that I imagine sandpapers makes much more difference to the condition of a ball, which is why we don't go outside and grab a bit of dirt when we need to sand down some woodwork.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He must have surely passed some sort of fitness test. It might just be that it’s a reoccurring breakdown. These things happen or if there was doubt then the medical team will have a lot to answer for. It will be hard with a bowler down now.

Fitness test or not, its 29 days from a calf tear. That is a short time period for that sort of injury to fully heal. I think it was a risk that has back fired. When he first did it I remember them saying he would be unlikely to make the first test.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fitness test or not, its 29 days from a calf tear. That is a short time period for that sort of injury to fully heal. I think it was a risk that has back fired. When he first did it I remember them saying he would be unlikely to make the first test.

I doubt we will know for sure either way. I think Archer will almost certainly be back for 2nd test provided no reaction tomorrow night.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am not sure as I am not really up with County cricket but there must be a better captain out there somewhere.

Perhaps the selectors are a lot more up with county cricket than you are (it is their job, after all). There is no reason why there must be a better captain out there.

It's a bit like saying there must be a better RB than Montoya on our books, somewhere. No 'must' about it at all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Perhaps the selectors are a lot more up with county cricket than you are (it is their job, after all). There is no reason why there must be a better captain out there.

It's a bit like saying there must be a better RB than Montoya on our books, somewhere. No 'must' about it at all.

Maybe BG is suggesting someone should yell down a coalmine that we need a new England captain up here.... Oh, just remembered, no coalmines left ...:(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here