Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Aussies - Day 5 @ Old Trafford.... COME ON!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Brighton Boy said:
I wouldnt call ponting a true leader....this series has shown that his captaincy doesnt match up to vaughan in any way shape or form...........

you what?? I think Vaughan isn't a great captain - clapping when Aussie scored 4's and 6's, granted his use of the bat yesterday was fantastic - but his field placement and motivational skills are not a spot on many of his predecessors....I hope its different in the change room but I get the feeling he's a little "light weight" if you get my drift...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
you what?? I think Vaughan isn't a great captain - clapping when Aussie scored 4's and 6's, granted his use of the bat yesterday was fantastic - but his field placement and motivational skills are not a spot on many of his predecessors....I hope its different in the change room but I get the feeling he's a little "light weight" if you get my drift...

Vaughan has been lucky that the likes of Freddie, Pieterson and Marmison have blossomed under his reign but I still believe him to be an excellent captain. He has plans for every batsman that comes in and most of the time they work, sooner or later.

He's not a reactionary captain like the last couple of captains we've had. He makes things happen and that is why we (England!) are troublng the Aussies so much.

You flamin' galaaaaaaaa.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
tedebear said:

i disagree completely.....obviously its your opinion but the way i have seen it is that vaughan uses his bowlers to greater effect as where ponting will use bowlers for longer spells and and if he isnt going to use gillespie that much then why play him.....

batted brilliantly in this innings but its about time.....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
nervous nineties Ponting

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I agree that flintoff, pieterson have just come into thier own in their own time - I don't believe it to be of Vaughans doing at all ( although we'll never really know)....Yes you don't need a reactioary captain, but you need a motivator of young guns.... Australia are looking tired... set the fields to make the killing - I don't see Vaughan doing that......

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
we dont need 7 slips and go for the killing....we play to the field for every batsman that comes in......and it serves us well so we should continue to the plans we have set

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
bowl the spinners and get 7 men around the bat, that'd make 'em nervous...just do it for one over and see what happens!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ponting still looking fairly comfortable.

Looking like they may just drag it out unless something special happens.

Will be a shame if the Aussies save their bacon, they've been dominated for 4 days, and it'd be a huge confidence boost for their many out of form players if they got away with a draw.

England on the other hand, could only be disappointed with a draw (how far have we come to be able to say that!).

Come on somebody, give us a bit of magic

:bowdown:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time the field has worked?? how long has Vaughan been captain?? Australia are old and tired as has been said.....

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
we need a JONESY HAT-TRICK

well done PontDIN good ton :clap:

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
tedebear said:
correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time the field has worked?? how long has Vaughan been captain?? Australia are old and tired as has been said.....

its not just the field its the way you bowl......the field has worked to hayde this series as has hoggard nagging away at him......as have the bowling of flintoff to gilchrist and katich..........aswell as offering the martyn the chance to cut every ball and getting his wicket cheaply a couple of times.........

and ponting has been snared by the short ball a couple of times.......

thats tactics

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Brighton Boy said:
its not just the field its the way you bowl......the field has worked to hayde this series as has hoggard nagging away at him......as have the bowling of flintoff to gilchrist and katich..........aswell as offering the martyn the chance to cut every ball and getting his wicket cheaply a couple of times.........

and ponting has been snared by the short ball a couple of times.......

thats tactics

Thats bowlers coming into their own - not the captain....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here