Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND team versus ICELAND

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This will not get a lot of support, but STERLING will be important in this game.

Iceland have defended heroically in this tournament, but they are clumsy. Austria got one penalty, and had a cast-iron second turned down. Get the ball down and run at them with the ball under control. Sterling, Lallana, Rashford are your men - not Kane et al.

Not sure we should play Sterling, he's been under pressure a lot and has gone down badly since Thursday..:ohmy:

Seriously we will have to play as a team rather than 11 "star" individuals, because Iceland are more than the sum of their parts (like Leicester were).

And Hart will have to play much better than he did in the first half v. Wales.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What game is that then I thought we had left the Euros by a small majority.
Or am I getting my wires crossed.
I am surprised Boris is allowing us to watch it.

Iceland are not in the EU. So that's all right then.

That late goal they scored saved us from facing Portugal, a minnow in EU terms but one of "the family". The French would have LOVED us get mullered by Ronaldo and co. "Perfidious Albion" humbled.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh good, we get to watch Raheem fall over for 60 minutes until he is substituted for an actual footballer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can see the tactical logic in starting Sterling, but he needs to find his confidence and FAST. Mixed game vs Russia and a poor game vs Wales so far.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Official match thread anyone?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Start with the team that finished against Wales, get 3 up by half time and then tactically substitute in second half, job done.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can see the tactical logic in starting Sterling, but he needs to find his confidence and FAST. Mixed game vs Russia and a poor game vs Wales so far.

Agreed. The Liverpool Sturridge-Suarez-Sterling three pronged attack of a couple of years ago was one of the best attacking units the Premier League has ever seen. Whilst I concede Suarez was a massive part of that, and that the inclusion of Kane gives it a whole new dynamic, this formation will give Iceland a lot of problems in my opinion. If Sterling can convert any of his undoubted talent tonight into real form on the pitch, we could be on for some goal(S). He was our best player at the last tournament but had been poor in this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here