Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND team versus ICELAND

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
With nothing else to talk about today I thought I'd see what team people think Roy will put out on Monday.

I think he'll go 4-3-3:

Hart

Walker
Smalling
Cahill
Rose

Dier
Rooney
Alli

Sturridge
Kane
Lallana

I'd be tempted to put Rashford in instead of Kane. We know Iceland will pack the defense similarly to Russia/Wales/Slovakia so we need players who have quick feet and are able to one touch pass or jink past a defender. Rashford has those qualities more than Kane, I think, so would sorely tempt me to play him. Regardless Sturridge, Lallana, Kane(or Rashford), Alli, Rooney, Walker and Rose should have enough about them to break down Iceland.

After 24 hours off from the Euro's I can't wait for them to start again.

This is the team the press are predicting and they've been pretty spot on so far.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
This will not get a lot of support, but STERLING will be important in this game.

Iceland have defended heroically in this tournament, but they are clumsy. Austria got one penalty, and had a cast-iron second turned down. Get the ball down and run at them with the ball under control. Sterling, Lallana, Rashford are your men - not Kane et al.

I'd thumb you down if I could.

BLOODY Sterling?!

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
So when the tournament started we were in the EU and the Euro's but not in the Euro. Presently we are not in the Euro but in the Euro's whilst being out of the EU?

Anyway Sterling is down today so I won't pick him.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
No point playing Dier when Iceland will see so little of the ball. Save him for the next round.

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Wilshire
Rooney
Ali

Lallana
Rashford
Sturridge

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It's never going to happen but this would be my team .

Hart
Walker
Smalling
Cahill
Rose

Lallana
Dier
Alli
Milner

Vardy
Kane

I think we need to go 442 as Iceland are going to sit back. We will be forced wide and will need 2 strikers in the box to get anything on any crosses.
Also chose Milner for his work rate with one less midfielder than usual . He will track back when needed and has a good understanding with Lallana. Also our set pieces have been dire and hopefully he will be able to put in a couple of decent deliveries.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This will not get a lot of support, but STERLING will be important in this game.

Iceland have defended heroically in this tournament, but they are clumsy. Austria got one penalty, and had a cast-iron second turned down. Get the ball down and run at them with the ball under control. Sterling, Lallana, Rashford are your men - not Kane et al.

Funny, I was thinking this earlier on.

Sterling has been utterly dismal so far, but I found myself wondering whether this might be the sort of opponent which would suit him. I don't mean because they're crap, as clearly they're not, and they work very hard on their defensive structure. But it's not going to take much for Sterling to get his confidence back. Perhaps a knock out game, where a team can't sit back and hang in there in the hope of a point, might be his time.

We can but hope, eh?!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
---------------------------Hart------------------------------
-----------------Cahill--------Smalling----------------
---Walker---------------------------------------Rose---
----------------Dier-----------------Alli--------------------
-------------------------Rooney---------------------------
-------Sturridge------Kane-------Vardy------------

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
What game is that then I thought we had left the Euros by a small majority.
Or am I getting my wires crossed.
I am surprised Boris is allowing us to watch it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here