Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England Squad announcement shortly

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Southgate continues to back track on his clear policy of only selecting based on club form.
'Impossible to stick to my original philosophy' - Southgate

Video at 14:37 on the BBC. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/64974106

If anyone can post it up, that'll be great.

"It's impossible...(shakes head)...um, you know we've got to pick, er, our best players where possible, um, and then there's a balance between...(deep breath)...do you go with a certain level of player who's not playing quite as regularly or a level of player who's physically fit and doing well but, you know I'm not talking about specific names here but as general principle...(sucks teeth)...um...you know I feel as though it's interesting talking to other coaches of national teams that they feel the same.

You've got to try to pick your best players as long as they can get to a reasonable physical level and, um, that's where we are with it really. You'd love to have that depth...(deep breath)...but we are, you know, shorter than the other big nations on depth of selection...(quickly adds)...I'm happy with with the groups that we've had to select from and the quality that we've had to select from but in certain positions we are short of depth and, er, that's...those numbers are deteriorating rapidly in the Premier League. Um, that's not a concern for me I don't think in the next 18 months but in 4 or 5 years time we've got to be really careful on that."

The impression I got from the video and writing out the transcript was that Southgate's already gone on too long. He's tired.

He also realizes that in showing myopic blind loyalty to his 'tried and tested', he's sold out.

He's trying to rationalize this by saying that if other national team coaches do it, why can't he?

Apparently we're "shorter than the other big nations on depth of selection".

Firstly, it will look like that if he insists on picking the same players.

Secondly, is he absolutely serious? In spite of our extensive football pyramid, we've got less players to pick from?

Big nation or not, if you listen very carefully you can probably hear the laughter in Croatia already.

Last edited:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If GS actually came out and stated why, over the last few years, he’s picked Maguire/Mings/Guehi and not Dunk - and gave valid reasons based on ability and form, I could accept it more. But I’m finding his squads predictably based on no form and past clubs. I’m really losing interest in how England men’s team do. Women’s Euros on the other hand was amazing and I loved it.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
So a player with a very probable 6 month (hopefully longer) ban looming gets picked?

I’d have no problem with Toney making the squad in normal circumstances but at the moment with a FA charge hanging over him it’s not a good look.
Neither is picking a player who’s under police investigation for being a potential sex case.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Goals scored by a player who isn't about to receive a lengthy ban for gambling.
Available now. Pick him. He will be available again after any ban. Pick him again.

Sorry to say that 'Gambling' doesn't quite set the morale conundrum going for me. It's not exactly a Mason Greenwood.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Regardless of if any Brighton players should be given a go, this squad selection just proves what a twat Southgate can be. It’s not a selection for a major competition, so even the most stubborn manager would usually be using it to test new players but no, he still picks the same old shit. Dier, Maguire, guehi, and Phillips have all done f*** all this season, or spent a load of time on the bench, & still they’re in. Baffling. Even if GS thinks those players are better selections surely you even add in a few newbies just to prove yourself right. How is anyone else meant to break into the set up?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

"It's impossible...(shakes head)...um, you know we've got to pick, er, our best players where possible, um, and then there's a balance between...(deep breath)...do you go with a certain level of player who's not playing quite as regularly or a level of player who's physically fit and doing well but, you know I'm not talking about specific names here but as general principle...(sucks teeth)...um...you know I feel as though it's interesting talking to other coaches of national teams that they feel the same.

You've got to try to pick your best players as long as they can get to a reasonable physical level and, um, that's where we are with it really. You'd love to have that depth...(deep breath)...but we are, you know, shorter than the other big nations on depth of selection...(quickly adds)...I'm happy with with the groups that we've had to select from and the quality that we've had to select from but in certain positions we are short of depth and, er, that's...those numbers are deteriorating rapidly in the Premier League. Um, that's not a concern for me I don't think in the next 18 months but in 4 or 5 years time we've got to be really careful on that."

The impression I got from the video and writing out the transcript was that Southgate's already gone on too long. He's tired.

He also realizes that in showing myopic blind loyalty to his 'tried and tested', he's sold out.

He's trying to rationalize this by saying that if other national team coaches do it, why can't he?

Secondly, is he absolutely serious? In spite of our extensive football pyramid, we've got less players to pick from?

Big nation or not, if you listen very closely, you can probably hear the laughter in Croatia already.
He's just a prick.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
From a purely selfish point of view this but FFS :facepalm:

It simply proves that you can be top class consistently for 2/3rds of a season, at the top end of the Premier and still get totally ignored if your name is Dunk or March. Hope they continue to stuff this selection back down his throat with their remaining games this season :tosser:

Naturally, I couldn’t agree more.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So a player with a very probable 6 month (hopefully longer) ban looming gets picked?

I’d have no problem with Toney making the squad in normal circumstances but at the moment with a FA charge hanging over him it’s not a good look.
Southgate’s defence is he hasn’t had his ‘trial’ yet ..against that reasoning the player has admitted guilt just not the number of times 🤦‍♂️

Perhaps the FA could get their act together and have the ‘trial’

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The more I look at the squad, the more baffling it is.

Why is Tomori not in the team?
Ben White? What has happened there? He clearly has had the biggest falling out with Southgate, or he just thinks England aren't going places.
Even Tarkowski's stats are better than the defenders he has chosen.
Young players like Reiss Nelson and Colwill while only having played a few games have the potential to go places. Why wait until the big tournament or even 2025 to blood them. Get them in the set up now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Available now. Pick him. He will be available again after any ban. Pick him again.

Sorry to say that 'Gambling' doesn't quite set the morale conundrum going for me. It's not exactly a Mason Greenwood.
But Kyle Walker allegedly is.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Big nation or not, if you listen very carefully you can probably hear the laughter in Croatia already.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Phillips is the weirdest one. You've already got Henderson, Bellingham & Rice who play the DM position. Why on earth pick another one, who has only managed 5 appearances all season, all 5 of them off the bench?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here