Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The rest is football podcast discussed this. Gary Lineker played devil’s advocate saying that Jordan made himself the spokesman for LGBT community. To which shearer said “would it have been better if he had not bothered?” - I thought “kind of yeah. Because he has shown he cares until someone pays him loads not to” which shows he never cared and suggests he was doing it to be popular. Richards and shearer agreed 99% of population would do the same.

I am in the 1%. I could earn loads more than I do doing what I do. Because I want to make a positive difference.
Crucial difference is JH already earned more than any of us could work out what to do with. Making a positive difference would be a much easier decision for him

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Crucial difference is JH already earned more than any of us could work out what to do with. Making a positive difference would be a much easier decision for him
True. This is Anfield did an article on him that said that he stood to make £350,000 per week tax free. A total of £18,200,000 a year. They said that his salary at Liverpool was about £10,000,000 a year, but obviously he had to pay tax and NI on that. If he took home £5,000,000 of that, then yes the wage increase in percentage terms is huge, but it would be hard to think how much your life would change when you get past even the lower of those figures. Presumably, he was already rich beyond his wildest dreams.

You might remember that, as well as being celebrated for his Rainbow Laces comments, he was lauded during lockdown for his involvement in setting up a footballer fund to contribute to the NHS. About 10% of the £5,000,000 a year he now won't be paying in taxes would have gone to the NHS.

I know that, for his own purposes, Southgate needs to protect his players, but pretending that the backlash over picking a player who has thrown away his last years of competitive football (and seemingly his principles) for a sackload of cash was unexpected is pretty insulting. As for Maguire's comments about real fans not booing - None of us are real fans any more Harry. We've been told that. We're all now customers and I'm sure you remember the old saying about customers. If we were real fans, we'd be watching real footballers who want to win real trophies, not those who'd rather pick up stupid amounts of money to add to their already obscene wealth just for sitting on the bench or swanning around a pub league in the desert.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The rest is football podcast discussed this. Gary Lineker played devil’s advocate saying that Jordan made himself the spokesman for LGBT community. To which shearer said “would it have been better if he had not bothered?” - I thought “kind of yeah. Because he has shown he cares until someone pays him loads not to” which shows he never cared and suggests he was doing it to be popular. Richards and shearer agreed 99% of population would do the same.

99% of wealthy footballers would not, and have not, done the same, so WTF are they talking about?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have no problem with Henderson trousering a massive wedge.

I have a problem with Southgate selecting players who are not playing regularly, or at all, in an elite league.

That means Henderson, Slabbers, possibly Stones, and certainly that other bloke on the Citeh bench whose name escapes me. They may have done 'OK' in recent England games but their trajectory is clear - downhill from here on.

Now is the time to capitalize on the fact we have some amazing talent and ensure this is the case in all positions.

(Not impressed with any of the keepers to be fair. They all look really old fashioned compared with Jason Steele).

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I have no problem with Henderson trousering a massive wedge.

I have a problem with Southgate selecting players who are not playing regularly, or at all, in an elite league.

That means Henderson, Slabbers, possibly Stones, and certainly that other bloke on the Citeh bench whose name escapes me. They may have done 'OK' in recent England games but their trajectory is clear - downhill from here on.

Now is the time to capitalize on the fact we have some amazing talent and ensure this is the case in all positions.

(Not impressed with any of the keepers to be fair. They all look really old fashioned compared with Jason Steele).
All of this ^

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Football gave up when the World Cup went to Qatar. It was proven that votes were bought, the presentation was bollocks (summer world cup with tech that didn't existed anyone?) and even bent old Sepp had to fall on his sword. It still went to Qatar - despite people dying building the stadiums - we all still watched it and it gave a green light for the current Saudi sportswashing Project.

I sort of get Maguire's bone headed perspective. Booing? You what? The boxers go there all the time, all the golf lads have tucked in, what's the problem? Jordan can have a few quid. It's normalised and with each day that passes it only gets worse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Football gave up when the World Cup went to Qatar. It was proven that votes were bought, the presentation was bollocks (summer world cup with tech that didn't existed anyone?) and even bent old Sepp had to fall on his sword. It still went to Qatar - despite people dying building the stadiums - we all still watched it and it gave a green light for the current Saudi sportswashing Project.

I sort of get Maguire's bone headed perspective. Booing? You what? The boxers go there all the time, all the golf lads have tucked in, what's the problem? Jordan can have a few quid. It's normalised and with each day that passes it only gets worse.
You are absolutely right.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Depressingly on point

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Squad for the last 2 qualifiers (Malta 17th Nov & North Macedonia 20th Nov) announced on Thursday.

Have to assume Lewis will be there again. At least one more cap earnt.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Our boy is in the squad again.

With Stones out, is there a chance for a game or two for LD?
Still very much feels like the only way Dunk gets a game is as a straight alternative to Maguire - with the younger, more athletic partner alongside in Colwill/Guehi/Tomori. And we all know how that usually transpires in competitive fixtures.

But very glad to see him in the squad again of course!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still very much feels like the only way Dunk gets a game is as a straight alternative to Maguire - with the younger, more athletic partner alongside in Colwill/Guehi/Tomori. And we all know how that usually transpires in competitive fixtures.

But very glad to see him in the squad again of course!
Also the way Dunk would work best. Him and Maguire doesn't feel a natural pairing at all. A shame as I'd really like to see him with Stones.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Very settled squad now, no major surprised although I had hoped and expected to see a place for Sterling in the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here