[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Dunk's 7.09 rating on BBC webiste ahead of everyone, inluding matchwinner Watkins on 6.49 and TAA 6.09. Everyone else 4s and 5s. He couldn't have done more. MOTM for me.

I also enjoyed seeing him and Colwill playing together again. Good debut for Levi, great to see.
Voting means nothing on there BTW.. I know exactly what it took to get him in the lead 😆

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It was obvious after 5 minutes that Johnstone should not have been on the pitch. In fact, should not of been on the pitch (that's me being 'inclusive')

If you want to deal with the low block you need Dunk, Stones and Colwill in a 3. And tell them to play clever, like Dunk can.

He was wasted in that defense, because the tactics were absent. Spare man half the time.

They always say that England are not as good as the top 'division 1' sides. That now includes Brighton.

If only Venables hadn't been a bit fly, and a bit racist in his selections. . . . what a coach, though. <sigh>
It was very amusing to watch Dunk, Tomori and Colwill pass it around until one of them plays it to Johnstone and he lumps it to "the big man up top", every time. What a shame we didn't have an 80's style big man up top.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 22.25.17.png

Jimmy Grimble

He looked in total control with and without the ball.

Other than his Dad, who would’ve known when the kid started at Withdean?
Those who had the misfortune of playing against him in schoolboy football!

I think from very early on Dunk demonstrated he had the skill set of a silky, clever modern centre half, mixed with the attributes of a physical, backs to the wall, blood and guts defender. A hybrid.

Over the years he’s added discipline, tactical nous and leadership. Probably helped out a lot by the structure of the club and the managers he’s played under.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Funny how Henderson rarely played for England last year and was struggling to make the Liverpool team before he made a controversial move and people got on his back, even more than they already had for being a steady Eddie who had clearly become not so steady last season. Now nobody wants him in the side, Southgate constantly picks him. Christ knows what goes through his head. Southgate seems to get off on pissing people off. Bang average player who has passed his peak. If we're 'experimenting', pick Ward-Prowse or Eze. There was plenty of experience out there to get through that game against pretty poor opposition.

Anyone picking Conor Gallagher to play for England, even in a friendly, needs their head checked. He wouldn't even get in Scotland's team at the moment.

Had Dunk not been there to keep things ticking over, marshalling the defence and covering for Colwill and Tomori's mistakes and poor positioning, we probably would have lost tonight.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Do we think Dunk is going to play versus Italy then?
Should he based on England form. Yes

Should he based on recent England performances. Yes.

Should he based on club form. Yes.

Should he based on Southgates claims to only pick players based on form. Yes.

Will he pick, shit, error prone, out of form, not playing consistently for club side Maguire. Yes.

Is he a tactically clueless failed ex Middlesbrough manager..... Yes

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Jules Breach just said this is the only the 10th time an Albion player has started for England, but every time England have won. (She's on 4seven)
Not quite true. Brighton players have 10 caps overall for England but Peter Ward was only used for 5 mins as a sub vs Australia in 1980 (I think this is the shortest ever England career for a player who has actually got on the pitch). Ben White's England debut was from the bench too. So we have 8 starts and 2 sub appearances. What is true is that England have won every game a Brighton player has appeared in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports